• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

andreasky

Reaction score
I found several pictures of Dover in Redwood country calf at the following link:

In some of them the color seems close to oxblood, in other close to brown. I do not know whether it depends where the pictures were taken (indoor or outdoor), but I have no idea of what the right color is. Is there any owner who can tell me more? Thank you.

Neville Southall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dover in snuff suede for today.
C26C8157-9B99-49CD-B2E2-0C34658A4EF8.jpeg
C79FAD36-FB2C-4CCF-837D-26BB0B4C857E.jpeg

CLTesquire

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok folks, I'm looking for some advice. I'd like a new pair of shoes but I don't know what to buy. I'm looking for that holy grail shoe I could pair with denim and shirt/sweater, flannels and a tweed, 5 pockets and a sportcoat, and maybe even toss a shirt and tie in the mix somewhere along the way.

Admittedly I have shoes that can accomplish all of these tasks already (Walnut CC Dovers, Dark Oak Dovers, Chestnut Utah Dovers, G&G vintage oak Arran, Burgundy Delapre Galways, etc.). However, the desire is strong within me so please help feed the beast.

The best I've been able to come up with are mink suede Banburys, dark brown Utah Galways on the 82 last, or a grain chukka (Halifax or Banbury). Thoughts?

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok folks, I'm looking for some advice. I'd like a new pair of shoes but I don't know what to buy. I'm looking for that holy grail shoe I could pair with denim and shirt/sweater, flannels and a tweed, 5 pockets and a sportcoat, and maybe even toss a shirt and tie in the mix somewhere along the way.

Admittedly I have shoes that can accomplish all of these tasks already (Walnut CC Dovers, Dark Oak Dovers, Chestnut Utah Dovers, G&G vintage oak Arran, Burgundy Delapre Galways, etc.). However, the desire is strong within me so please help feed the beast.

The best I've been able to come up with are mink suede Banburys, dark brown Utah Galways on the 82 last, or a grain chukka (Halifax or Banbury). Thoughts?
Since it seems like you are missing a chukka based on what you already own, that'd be a top contender for me. I personally think suede would be the most versatile as it can be dressed up or dressed down. Again my opinion only, but grain tends to be more on the casual spectrum and your Walnut CC dovers fit that bill nicely if need be.

Edit - glanced over the fact that you have the Arran, still probably on the dressier side of a chukka and I think the Banbury would be a nice complement.

Last edited:

bootyboy

Reaction score
Since it seems like you are missing a chukka based on what you already own, that'd be a top contender for me. I personally think suede would be the most versatile as it can be dressed up or dressed down. Again my opinion only, but grain tends to be more on the casual spectrum and your Walnut CC dovers fit that bill nicely if need be.

Edit - glanced over the fact that you have the Arran, still probably on the dressier side of a chukka and I think the Banbury would be a nice complement.
I back the mink Banbury. Very versatile and easy to pair up with chinos / denims / trousers.

Braid

Reaction score

I would also consider the Sandrigham (moka suede or doak), Cardiff and Shoreditch (these two also in some grained leather) .

CLTesquire

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input @jischwar @bootyboy and @Braid

My instinct says suede chukkas are the way. BTW I love the Arran (mine is on the MH71) but it's pretty sleek. I'm thinking the Banbury on the less sleek 202 last would be more versatile to me.

@Braid do you have the Cardiff? The version in burgundy cordovan looks sweet (as does the cordovan Banbury). Sadly I cannot go the cordovan route. My wife owns a horse and, well, I'm sure you can imagine how the conversation turns into "you want to turn my horse into a pair of shoes" and goes swiftly downhill from there.

Braid

Reaction score
Thanks for the input @jischwar @bootyboy and @Braid

My instinct says suede chukkas are the way. BTW I love the Arran (mine is on the MH71) but it's pretty sleek. I'm thinking the Banbury on the less sleek 202 last would be more versatile to me.

@Braid do you have the Cardiff? The version in burgundy cordovan looks sweet (as does the cordovan Banbury). Sadly I cannot go the cordovan route. My wife owns a horse and, well, I'm sure you can imagine how the conversation turns into "you want to turn my horse into a pair of shoes" and goes swiftly downhill from there.
I don't own them unfortunately but I am thinking about the same use case and considering all of the above plus Dover.

CLTesquire

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't own them unfortunately but I am thinking about the same use case and considering all of the above plus Dover.

I had considered the Shoreditch as well. After applying the SF level of scrutiny to such a critical life decision, I think I came to the conclusion that the 82 last would be somewhat limiting and I wouldn't ever wear them with denim. That's also my hangup about the utah Galway.

If I didn't already have a Dover that fits in this niche, I would really consider the London grain Dover on the EG site. It even has the tapered rubber sole, which I think looks so much better than Dainite.

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had considered the Shoreditch as well. After applying the SF level of scrutiny to such a critical life decision, I think I came to the conclusion that the 82 last would be somewhat limiting and I wouldn't ever wear them with denim. That's also my hangup about the utah Galway.

If I didn't already have a Dover that fits in this niche, I would really consider the London grain Dover on the EG site. It even has the tapered rubber sole, which I think looks so much better than Dainite.
Honestly, I think a Galway on the 82 looks good with denim but if you can't picture yourself wearing it then it's a no-go. @nishant has some great pics in this thread pairing Galway on 82 with denim, if you need some inspiration.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads