• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Last edited:

PhiloVance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

8/8.5D is my normal size. A couple pairs are in E width. They are well-guarded. :fence: Thanks everyone for the kind words.
Leather Soul claims that EG E width is equivalent to a US D, however, I know other US EG retailers order their EG shoes in D width. I think their D width is closer to the "normal" American width. What are other people's thoughts and experiences on this? I know D fits me better, but E still works.
Additionally, I've heard EG is really busy lately and MTO times are up to 8-9 months right now.

There might be some truth to Leather Soul's comment as well as your statement about the D width. The Falkirks that I picked up via Saks are "D" width on the 82 last. They fit my feet fine.

I think the general consensus is that the UK E width corresponds to the US D width.

For what its worth, when I dropped into Bel Y Cia in Barcelona last week, the sales associate was quite proud of the fact that all models were available in the wider F width - I'm assuming that was because E is the standard.

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I got a pair of RLPL Barksdales in edwardian antique from GVH back in the day - I think they were $300 or $400 back then. My favorite shoes and they have the mileage to prove it. Is that the 101 last - I remember they were really uncomfortable initially but eventually became my most comfortable pair. Can walk for hours in them - but did have to go up a 1/2 size.

Yup they were on the 101.

The Hardy Amies are nice to look at, I'm just not sure I have the wardrobe to match.
Why did you get rid of your Falkirks? Size issue?

Even though they were my size I think the last just didn't work for me. That and the fact that during that time I had so many ill-fitting shoes I think my feet were perpetually swollen. Oh, and the metal eyelets. I like the newer version of the Falkirk much better but can't do dark oak antique because I have the Malvern in that color. Thus the blue/blue.

Taking Jerrybrowne's lead I wanted to share my collection. Loved his Dover's in suede. As I said earlier - probably my next MTO. I am happy to hear any ones thoughts on where my collection should go next. I have on order a pair of Cadogan's in mink suede and Ullswater in Mahogany country calf. I do all of my MTO's through Leffot - highly recommended. Thanks guys and enjoy.
1. Canterbury in Black calf on 888 - First pick-up from right here on SF.
IMG_3357.jpg

2. Asquith in Dark Oak calf on 888 - First MTO
IMG_3355.jpg

3. Westminster in Mahogony country calf on 888 - MTO
IMG_3354.jpg

4. Banbury in Brown suede on 89 - Thanks SF
IMG_3360.jpg

5. Wells in Dark Oak calf on 82 - Thanks SF
IMG_3353.jpg

6. Elmsley in Burgundy calf on 888 - Thanks SF
IMG_3352.jpg

7. Frome in Burgundy calf on 82 - MTO
IMG_3351.jpg

8. Dover in Walnut country calf on 606 - Leffot
IMG_3356.jpg

9. Galway in Dark Oak and Walnut country calf on 82 - Leffot
IMG_3349.jpg

10. Westminster in Navy Blue Crup on 888 - Leffot Third Anniversary Shoe
IMG_3358.jpg

11. Sandringham in Cognac Crup on 202 - Leather Soul
IMG_3359.jpg

12. Beaulieu in Dark Oak calf on 888 - MTO
IMG_3350.jpg

Wow. Great listing and I will say that though I love EG I would not have chosen any of those myself. Well, maybe the Beaulieu

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
my favorite EG toe medallion. What is this style called? I believe JL has a medallion of a similar style

Falkirk:

Last edited:

cwh812

Reaction score

There might be some truth to Leather Soul's comment as well as your statement about the D width. The Falkirks that I picked up via Saks are "D" width on the 82 last. They fit my feet fine.
I think the general consensus is that the UK E width corresponds to the US D width.
For what its worth, when I dropped into Bel Y Cia in Barcelona last week, the sales associate was quite proud of the fact that all models were available in the wider F width - I'm assuming that was because E is the standard.

I agree E is the standard amongst other makers. John Lobb retailers always go with E width. I've never seen John Lobb RTW not in an E.

With EG, however, there seems to be disagreement amongst even the retailers. Leffot, Sky Valet and Axels (among others) offer RTW EGs in D, while Leather Soul offers in E. Leather Soul claims that EG E width is equivalent to an American D (the standard width in the US). If that is the case why do other American retailers stock in D width? By Leather Soul's logic that would mean this is really an American C which is narrow. I don't think the retailers I mentioned above would stock most of the RTW they have in narrow.

Geezer

Reaction score

I hate how EG has such wide heel cups across their lasts. 

I don't think they do. Unless I'm mistaken, those are on the blobby/classic 202 last. As a narrow-heeled EG wearer, I've found the 82, 88 and 888 are all noticeably smaller in the heel than the 202 last and its derivatives.

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

8/8.5D is my normal size. A couple pairs are in E width. They are well-guarded. :fence: Thanks everyone for the kind words.
Leather Soul claims that EG E width is equivalent to a US D, however, I know other US EG retailers order their EG shoes in D width. I think their D width is closer to the "normal" American width. What are other people's thoughts and experiences on this? I know D fits me better, but E still works.
Additionally, I've heard EG is really busy lately and MTO times are up to 8-9 months right now.

All the EGs I have owned (are tried on), their D is equal to a US D. I not sure why Leather Soul would say that and he has seen 1000s of EGs?

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I hate how EG has such wide heel cups across their lasts. 

I never really noticed this before, but certainly will going forward.

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think they do. Unless I'm mistaken, those are on the blobby/classic 202 last. As a narrow-heeled EG wearer, I've found the 82, 88 and 888 are all noticeably smaller in the heel than the 202 last and its derivatives.

They do.

And just from the pictures in this thread you can easily observe the QA of its machine lasting process. Note sometimes how heel cup height is different even within the same pair of shoes judging by the amount of lasted trees peaking out from the heel cup.

I like my 82 lasted EG, but its heel cup is almost as wide as my GG06-Wide G&G and definitely much wider than my 7000/8000 JLs.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads