• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

archetypal_yuppie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

How much extra was the flush taps? Really considering a pair of Beaulieu or Sanderson sometime the end of this year and curious what the costs of certain "upgrades" would be.

FWIW, I do not recommend the metal toe taps. I had them (factory installed) on one of my EG MTO, and there are two drawbacks:
1) Conspicous tapping/scraping sound whenever you're walking on tile, cement, asphalt, or any other hard surface.
2) Lack of traction as you push off of your foot, as the metal slides rather than griping like leather would.

These are not insurmountable depending on taste, but I highly prefer my EGs that do not have metal plates.

Also, in my experience, 888 lasted EGs with very extensive all weather wear have not worn badly at all at the toe. For my 82 and other round-lasted pairs, even though they wore down to the bottom of the stitching in not too long, once that square edge in front is worn off, the wear slows down dramatically. I have some 82-lasted Clavertons that I've worn for 3-4 years once a week, all weather, in NYC walking to/from work, and they are not yet at risk of being worn to the welt in front, since the sole just rounds off from the bottom of the shoe to the front with normal wear.

This may vary depending on gait etc.

Last edited:

niklasnordin

Reaction score
FWIW, I do not recommend the metal toe taps. I had them (factory installed) on one of my EG MTO, and there are two drawbacks:
1) Conspicous tapping/scraping sound whenever you're walking on tile, cement, asphalt, or any other hard surface.
2) Lack of traction as you push off of your foot, as the metal slides rather than griping like leather would.

These are not insurmountable depending on taste, but I highly prefer my EGs that do not have metal plates.

Also, in my experience, 888 lasted EGs with very extensive all weather wear have not worn badly at all at the toe. For my 82 and other round-lasted pairs, even though they wore down to the bottom of the stitching in not too long, once that square edge in front is worn off, the wear slows down dramatically. I have some 82-lasted Clavertons that I've worn for 3-4 years once a week, all weather, in NYC walking to/from work, and they are not yet at risk of being worn to the welt in front, since the sole just rounds off from the bottom of the shoe to the front with normal wear.

This may vary depending on gait etc.
I have other shoes with steel taps so I was aware of both these 'issues' and I admit it took some time to get used to it, but now I prefer the steel and hence
I wanted it with the factory installed version since I think it looks much better.

But you do have a point in that it might not be everyones preference.

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Always have toe taps (metal is my preference) since I do wear the toes down quickly. Good to know the factory can do flushed.

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have other shoes with steel taps so I was aware of both these 'issues' and I admit it took some time to get used to it, but now I prefer the steel and hence
I wanted it with the factory installed version since I think it looks much better. 

But you do have a point in that it might not be everyones preference.

Not my thing ....

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score

jkater1

Reaction score
PSA - Sky Valet website is showing most models on sale for $875. Unfortunately they are showing in all D widths and I really need a E in EG.

gaseousclay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
PSA - Sky Valet website is showing most models on sale for $875. Unfortunately they are showing in all D widths and I really need a E in EG.

yep, I posted a thread about this last week. unfortunately, the majority of their D sizes are sold out. too bad because I was eyeing their EG Beaulieu's for some time and was bummed that my size was sold out almost immediately.

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score

laufer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Comparison pic for those who care about these things; the Galway made for Holland & Holland on the right with a similar C&J shooting boot (also for Holland & Holland) on the left. Not much to separate the two, although I like the higher leg of the C&J version:
I believe the Galway has unlined shaft. Is C&J shaft fully lined? Which of these two do you find more comfortable?

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

yep, I posted a thread about this last week. unfortunately, the majority of their D sizes are sold out. too bad because I was eyeing their EG Beaulieu's for some time and was bummed that my size was sold out almost immediately.

feel your pain. wanted to instakop Beaulieu and Claverton

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads