Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Harrydog, Mar 11, 2012.

1. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

I own the Payton. It is a wonderful EG model.

2. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

I'd like to give a shout out to Unipair. :slayer:

On Sunday I ordered, via email, dark oak Dovers on the 606 from Unipair after receiving very prompt emails about pricing and availability. Paid for them via Paypal invoice. It was my first Unipair order. I had been unable to locate said Dovers in my size for quite some time. They were shipped on Monday (from South Korea, and for free), and they arrived at my office this morning. Great service, wonderful shoes, ridiculously fast shipping (South Korea to US). Kudos.

3. nepats81

nepats81 Senior member

Has anyone seen the new "slate" color in person? Thoughts? Wondering if its tasteful

4. GothamRed

GothamRed Senior member

5. laufer

laufer Senior member

I have. I do not know if it's tasteful or not but it looks like dark graphite color something similar to the HB pencil. I say it is fine alternative to black.

6. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

Slate in my person: [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 4, 2013

7. SoGent

SoGent Senior member

well done

8. TehBunny

TehBunny Senior member

Hey guys just found this 'Dover' on centipede; I'm wondering if anyone knows any background on this? Is this the original dover, did EG do a takeover and use this model?
    Source: http://centipede.web.fc2.com/psdover.html
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Harrydog

Harrydog Senior member

Did you get hit with customs?

10. sdolina

sdolina Senior member

Congratulations, but for the asked money it must be good service and fast shipping. Still can't understand why not buy from Leffot or Axel's for less?

Last edited: Apr 5, 2013

11. sdolina

sdolina Senior member

Very nice,
    I've heard recently from the Leaves that Galways are not available in 888 even by MTO, seems not true.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2013

12. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

^ likewise but from another vendor. Curious how long ago the bronze galwy order was placed.

In other news, that boot is on fiiiiiiyaaaah!

13. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Senior member Dubiously Honored

Edward Green used to do the Poulsen Skone shoes (top ready-to-wear range for New & Lingwood). Poulsen Skone was a bespoke shoemaker N&L had taken over in the 70s or early 80s.

It costs money to make new designs, cut new patterns etc, therefore private label work is quite frequently not different from what the manufacturer produces under their own name. The shoe might have had a different name in the N&L catalogue, but it is the EG 'Dover'' (and probably came on last 32, which is the classic last for the 'Dover').

You will find certain EG designs unchanged (or with only minor changes like a different medallion) under names loke N&L, Wildsmith, Foster &Son, RLPL, Ede & Ravenscroft, Holland & Holland and,a few more names,

14. michaelvl

michaelvl Senior member

@sdolina: This boot was made using the E.G. Top Drawer route. The sales rep I talked to, was of the opinion that the Galway is not well suited to be made on the 888 last partially due to construction issues and I presume partially from the heritage perspective. The issues they have in regards to construction he gave me I cannot recall. I also get the feeling E.G. just doesn't think that 888 suits the Galway very well because the Galway was originally conceived as a country boot. They are certainly not eager to take on orders of the Galway on the 888, they will do all they can to persuade you to have it made of the 64, 202 or 82 last.

I and a few other E.G. enthusiasts think otherwise, because since the Galway was made available on the 82 I think it has morphed into two different styles: the original rugged country style boot and a sleek urban style boot. Personally the 82/888 incarnations of the Galway speak to me the most. Of the two I like the 888 version by far because I personally find the toe box of the 888 looks more symmetric compared to the 82 and hence find the boot to look more balanced on the 888.

I am not 100% sure but I believe the E.G. will only make an Galway on 888 if you are a regular customer and if you have them made via the Top Drawer route (not via the regular MTO route), if you would like to know for sure I recommend you contact their Jermyn St. sales team.

@Namor: The boots also took approx. 20 weeks to have made.

PS: Thanks for your kind words guys!
    :)

Best regards,
    Michael

15. Farhad19620

Farhad19620 Senior member

Lovely Galway boots Michael, I like the bronze colour and think it will age beautifully. Congratulations and enjoy. Regards,
    Farhad