• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ebay question (bid to be cancelled after auction ended)

clausc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I won an auction on ebay and then I sent an email to the buyer requesting the total payment amount and questions about shipping. After 4 days I got this response:

----

I have some very bad news for you. I can not sell you the ...as it has been sold in our shop, though I specifically instructed my shop assistent to take the articles away as they were on auction on eBay.
I am terribly sorry...
-----

Apparently the seller was selling different items on ebay and in his shop at the same time. The item still shows as I have to pay for it on ebay, how will the seller cancel it? I think you can cancel it only before the auction ends. I do not want to give the seller bad feedback either (he's 100 % Positive), but trying to sell in different places at the same time is a bit confusing at least...

r_fine

Reaction score
Bad karma on the seller.

It has to be up to him to offer you something else that you are happy with.

Dane

Reaction score
Originally Posted by clausc
I won an auction on ebay and then I sent an email to the buyer requesting the total payment amount and questions about shipping. After 4 days I got this response:

----

I have some very bad news for you. I can not sell you the ...as it has been sold in our shop, though I specifically instructed my shop assistent to take the articles away as they were on auction on eBay.
I am terribly sorry...
-----

Apparently the seller was selling different items on ebay and in his shop at the same time. The item still shows as I have to pay for it on ebay, how will the seller cancel it? I think you can cancel it only before the auction ends. I do not want to give the seller bad feedback either (is 100 % Positive), but trying to sell in different places at the same time is a bit confusing at least...

Contact eBay (which is a pain the a$$). I'm sure it's something they deal with all the time.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You are perfectly within reason to leave negative feedback. It's your call though.

Philip1978

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would move on if the seller has been nice.

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Best case, the seller made a mistake which caused you a loss. Worst case, the seller is lying because he doesn't want to sell you the item at the auction price.

You should leave negative feedback to warn other buyers just in case. That's what it's there for.

clausc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I sent the seller an email and do not plan to leave negative feedback.
And I do not want to be negative feedback for me if an item seems unpaid; I just do not know what will be the status of the auction later....

stilmacher

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It sucks but fogret about it. The seller will be left with the fees for the acution, that will teach him.

illeagle

Reaction score
Originally Posted by clausc
I sent the seller an email and do not plan to leave negative feedback.
And I do not want to be negative feedback for me if an item seems unpaid; I just do not know what will be the status of the auction later....

you can have the seller report an unpaid item then just have him cancel the transaction and you agree to it...if the transaction is canceled then it will not be a non-paying bidder strike against you

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by stilmacher
It sucks but fogret about it. The seller will be left with the fees for the acution, that will teach him.

+1

He's been nice. Could well just be an honest mistake. Move on.

But I wouldn't leave any feedback at all and I would NOT assist the seller in cancelling the auction via the unpaid item dispute procedure. The reason is that if it reappears at within a couple of weeks or so, you can then consider neg'ing him for lying. Which you couldn't do if you'd mutually cancelled the transaction.

Hope for the best, plan for the worst, as usual.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads