• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay auction on Oxxford Navy suit

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Felix, your screen name is somewhat transparent to those among us who have studied literature. You could at least amuse us.

Felix Krull

Reaction score
It is not my intention to be opaque, nor is it to amuse you! As for your study of literature, I hope it serves you well, or should I say better than it did in this particular instance.

Full Canvas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Felix Krull
I am so sorry to see the fate of Oxxford. What was once a proud brand and a very, very fine suit has now been compromised by those dogs at Tom James who now own the Oxxford company.

I will always have fond memories of Oxxford suits in their glory days.

Do you know something that no one else knows?

Oxxford Clothes is neither owned by nor managed by the Tom James Company. They are both autonomous subsidiaries of Individualized Apparel Group (IAG). IAG acquired Oxxford in 1994. It is entirely possible that some Tom James sales associates have used the fact of a common parent in a less than honest manner to peddle their wares.

Please tell us about Oxxford's glory days as you remember them.

___

Felix Krull

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Full Canvas

Oxxford Clothes is neither owned by nor managed by the Tom James Company. They are both autonomous subsidiaries of Individualized Apparel Group (IAG). IAG acquired Oxxford in 1994. It is entirely possible that some Tom James sales associates have used the fact of a common parent in a less than honest manner to peddle their wares.

___

IAG is the manufacturing arm of the Tom James company. You have it vice-versa. Hays, who started Tom James, bought Oxxford. You are correct that they are both owned by Hays, but they are hardly autonomous and divorced from one another.

http://www.hdcconference.com/HDCribbon.htm

Felix Krull

Reaction score

___

F.C., You may also wish to read this gentleman's description to erase any confusion you have over the company's structure.

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/5/1b6/292#h150-487

Felix Krull

Reaction score

___

Well, let me see, Oxxford is still based in Chicago since its founding in 1916 or maybe 1917, I don't recall precisely. At one point they made all of their clothes by hand, I'm not sure if they still do or not. They were a staple of well-dressed luminaries such as the President of the United States dating back to LBJ, with the notable exception of Clinton, Al Capone, and Cary Grant to name just a few. Up through the turn of the century, they were America's premier suit manufacturer and arguabley still are today, however, they have lost a great deal of their customer base to European labels.

There was actually an excellent article in DNR, the industry trade publication, about Oxxford and the new CEO they recently installed who is trying to revitalize the company. Oxxford once was the suit that all upwardly mobile young American businessmen strived to own, but sadly that day has come and gone. Perhaps, with some of the new blood the company now has, that will change. I was a big fan of Oxxford suits for many years until I went the bespoke route.

James Bond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fries
I'd be curious to know if anyone out there has bought suits off of Ebay and what their experiences have been.

I bought a Canali from that seller, and it's great.

I've also purchased Zegna and RLBL suits on eBay and had no problems.

Full Canvas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IAG is the manufacturing arm of the Tom James company. You have it vice-versa. Hays, who started Tom James, bought Oxxford. You are correct that they are both owned by Hays, but they are hardly autonomous and divorced from one another.

http://www.hdcconference.com/HDCribbon.htm

F.C., You may also wish to read this gentleman's description to erase any confusion you have over the company's structure.

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/5/1b6/292#h150-487

Well, let me see, Oxxford is still based in Chicago since its founding in 1916 or maybe 1917, I don't recall precisely. At one point they made all of their clothes by hand, I'm not sure if they still do or not. They were a staple of well-dressed luminaries such as the President of the United States dating back to LBJ, with the notable exception of Clinton, Al Capone, and Cary Grant to name just a few. Up through the turn of the century, they were America's premier suit manufacturer and arguabley still are today, however, they have lost a great deal of their customer base to European labels.

There was actually an excellent article in DNR, the industry trade publication, about Oxxford and the new CEO they recently installed who is trying to revitalize the company. Oxxford once was the suit that all upwardly mobile young American businessmen strived to own, but sadly that day has come and gone. Perhaps, with some of the new blood the company now has, that will change. I was a big fan of Oxxford suits for many years until I went the bespoke route.

Certainly, a press release direct from Hays/Tom James Company underscores my misunderstanding. Thanks for the citation. As for link to Mr. Erlbacher's promotional blurb, I am uncertain how it dismisses any idea of autonomy for Oxxford. Perhaps even that point is unnecessary to cover (for me anyway) because I finally chose the bespoke path much as you did.

I purchased many Oxxford RTW and MTM garments from 1971 until late 2000 or early 2001 when I finally began a pleasant bespoke working relationship with a tailor. That change was due primarily to Oxxford's rather dreary styling. I desired a slightly different silhouette and feel.

Oxxford's manufacturing quality was fairly consistent as much as I recall. Oxxford was only ever problematic for me only in final fittings. I ascribe most of those problems to the skill and devotion of the seller's tailors. Tom James sales representatives visited my office two or three times over the years. But, I never purchased any Tom James garments.

Forgetting the issue of autonomy for the moment, exactly what havoc are you suggesting the Tom James Company wreaked upon Oxxford Clothes? What are the quality differences between my 1970s Oxxford garments and the 2000 vintage ones? Nothing is readily evident to my eyes? Perhaps you may be referring to Oxxford quality post-2000?

After all that detour, the only way to know whether or not the original poster got a good deal is to examine the suit after his tailor finishes the fittings and delivers it to the poster. If the style is pleasing, the fit is good, and the all-in cost stays low, it's difficult to argue against the idea that it's a good deal.

___

fries

Reaction score
Originally Posted by James Bond
I bought a Canali from that seller, and it's great.

I've also purchased Zegna and RLBL suits on eBay and had no problems.

Really? That's great news.

The measurements seem to be right so hopefully it will work out. Glad to hear from somebody who's bought from him before though.

He's also selling a navy Oxxford with light pinstripes for 650 (or best offer) as well.

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fries. I have bought many a garment off of Ebay, including suits and including Oxxford suits. A few thoughts:

1. Oxxford has been and continues to be an excellent brand. The quality of fabrics and constructions are top-notch. However, most of the lines run toward a more traditional business dress line. High gorge, high button stance, lots of waist suppression, roped shoulders are all NOT typical features of an Oxxford. There are some 3 button, double vented Oxxfords that are bit more of a nod to the European buyer, but still clearly American in attitude.

2. I disagree somewhat with a previous poster regarding the risk of buying an older Oxxford. Assuming that the Oxxford has little wear, its very traditional styling tends to make most of the lines timeless.

3. A navy Oxxford is a true workhorse suit. Fro the photos and description, my opinion is that it is a bit of a older model, but as noted above, less of an issue because it is an Oxxford. The price is, of course, less than a quarter of retail. My only caveat in all of this would be that the jacket is described as unvented. While that does not diminish the value of the suit in any way, it would be a personal non-starter.

4. Finally, I think the overall risk of buying a suit a size too large online is about the same as buying in a suit too large at the men's wearhouse or a mall. Most men buy their clothes too large. Trying them on in a mall will not make them more savvy internet shoppers. Hanging around here may.
teacha.gif

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fries
He's also selling a navy Oxxford with light pinstripes for 650 (or best offer) as well.

The other Oxxford he is selling appears to have been a M-T-M deal for a client of Nieman. Note the slighter larger chest measurement, the shorter sleeve measurement than would be typical of a 42R. Note particularly the 40" waist on the pants. The suit was probably ordered special for a portly guy with slightly shorter arms. Inasmuch as the typical pants on a 42R would be a 36", you are picking up an extra 4" of waist. Too much for a tailor short of a complete recutting unless you run toward portly yourself. I would not bid on this myself and I am a 42R on Oxxford

rssmsvc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, let me see, Oxxford is still based in Chicago since its founding in 1916 or maybe 1917, I don't recall precisely.

I think you are running a few years late, in the last year the Oxxford's that I have seen are as good as they were or better than before that slump. I never saw that slump in MTM but I did notice some decline in that previous period in RTW. Something about the lapels changed and then changed back.

crpz32

Reaction score
After looking at the ebay auction, I personally would have passed on the suit due to its wide lapels (in my eyes at least) and the suit having no vent. But that's just my personal tastes.

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by crpz32
After looking at the ebay auction, I personally would have passed on the suit due to its wide lapels (in my eyes at least) and the suit having no vent. But that's just my personal tastes.

With you on the ventless back. Not so concerned re: the lapel width, but Oxxford does have a tendency toward a wider lapel.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads