• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Eames Lounge Chair copies... worth it?

Brittany Paris

Reaction score
Mellowyellow, I love my chair from Rove Concepts. It's solid, no wobbling, fantastic leather and the veneer is gorgeous. But I personally wouldn't pay the price they have it for now. I got an amazing deal for it with delayed shipping. But it took longer than I had hoped. In the end, I paid $1,130 for it. So I would say it's worth the money, for sure. And again, I've never seen or felt such nice leather. The way it sits on the chair is exactly like the original. Hope I helped!

Last edited:

twistoffat

Reaction score

I can't believe I read all 32 pages of this thread... (gosh!) but I did. 
I am in the market to get the ELO, but I can't afford a $5000 price tag.

So I'm curious about 2 things I hope you guys can help me with:
b) Everyone else -- what else can I get for $1000? There were several suggestions in the thread that the money could be better spent with an original piece... so I am curious what are these alternatives for the price. I am looking for a lounge chair to play video games/read a book/veg out in, so nothing too pretty but completely irrelevant to the purpose I intend for it.

Thanks so much!!

Check out the marten van severen .06 chair or his " chaise" . Great value ,interesting pieces and comfortable to boot. Original and prices are rising

Last edited:

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have made a bunch of suggestions already, but Plycraft lounge, LC2 (you chould be able to find a vintage for that price), Hay - About a Chair lounge, Autoban etc. etc.

Have a look on craigslist, ebay, the local swap meet, vintage furniture stores.

If you want a factory fresh chair check.

www.stylepark.com
www.architonic.com

trapper81

Reaction score
MellowYellow, I am looking for the same exact thing you are. A quality reproduction of the Eames Lounge Chair. All of the wonderful ideological discussions on original vs. reproduction are perhaps better suited for a thread on the topic of authentic vs. reproduction.There is not much information online about which companies make the best MidCentury Modern reproductions and I am simply seeking advice, opinions, and experiences from others who have purchased or considered purchasing such reproductions.

Here are the ones I have looked at so far:

-MCM Classics - http://www.mcmclassics.com - Not much to find online about this company as far reviews go. The ones I do find praise their reproductions. Anyone purchased from MCM Classics?

-Rove Concepts - http://www.roveconcepts.com/ - Pretty good reviews - Pretty expensive as well, at least for reproductions.

-Manhattan Home Design - http://manhattanhomedesign.com/ - Seems to be well regarded.

-Barcelona Designs - http://www.barcelona-designs.com/ - Seems to get pretty good reviews as well.

-Kardiel - - Kardiel seems to be a really legit company that has a lot of positive reviews online and, at leasts from what I can tell, has well built reproductions of the Eames at a little better price than the first two mention in the list.

One note - if you are buying one, only buy the premium version with aniline leather, no matter where you buy from as the aniline is dyed all the way through and lasts way longer with a more supple feel. I know that all of the above-mentioned companies offer a premium aniline version, but all of them except for Rove, also offer an "Italian Leather" version that is subpar.

Has anyone had any experience with any of these reproductions or companies in general? It seems overall that the MCM Classics gets the best accolades, but they are far and few between.

mellowyellow

Reaction score
hey!! thanks everyone for your replies... i'll get cranking on the links shortly. (busy weekend)

trapper-- i've done some research on my end as well on these companies and here's my feedback (my opinion, take it with as much salt as you want):

1. mcmclassics -- like you said, hardly reviewed, so no comment there
2. rove concepts -- owner/employee from rove spams AT (check nick drdarren77 with legit looking comments, but really... as much as brittany's experience has been great... i just can't confidently buy from companies that need to stoop so low as to make fake comments about their own quality)
3&4: manhattan home design and barcelona design -- they are even worse than rove in terms of writing fake reviews and adding fake comments about their goods all over the internet. it's disgusting. Oh, and they're both run by the same team of people. So buying from either one makes no difference.
5. kardiel -- no comment

where else have you seen mcmclassic reviews?

I'm also likely leaning towards getting a different chair now... or potentially just buying the real deal with my friend's architect card (so 20% discount)...

OH anyone knows if the architect/designer discount stacks on top of the 15% HM twice a year sale? That would be sweet!

twistoffat

Reaction score

hey!! thanks everyone for your replies... i'll get cranking on the links shortly. (busy weekend)

trapper-- i've done some research on my end as well on these companies and here's my feedback (my opinion, take it with as much salt as you want):

1. mcmclassics -- like you said, hardly reviewed, so no comment there
2. rove concepts -- owner/employee from rove spams AT (check nick drdarren77 with legit looking comments, but really... as much as brittany's experience has been great... i just can't confidently buy from companies that need to stoop so low as to make fake comments about their own quality)
3&4: manhattan home design and barcelona design -- they are even worse than rove in terms of writing fake reviews and adding fake comments about their goods all over the internet. it's disgusting. Oh, and they're both run by the same team of people. So buying from either one makes no difference. 
5. kardiel -- no comment

where else have you seen mcmclassic reviews?

I'm also likely leaning towards getting a different chair now... or potentially just buying the real deal with my friend's architect card (so 20% discount)... 

OH anyone knows if the architect/designer discount stacks on top of the 15% HM twice a year sale? That would be sweet! 

Mellow I think your post here has answered the opening posters question as to Real V Fake especially as you are currently in the process of purchasing a piece and are well placed to but objectively and emotionally compare the two. Your final statement on either another product or the real thing with discount are a logical decision especially as you say that some of the companies are actually the same and even give themselves false positive reviews. The reason for this is that if one outlet gets closed the same fakes can be sold over the other. Good luck with your search and keep it real ;)

twistoffat

Reaction score

separately... does anyone know where i can find this desk, or a similar desk? (small table with drawer slides out of bigger table)?

http://www2.pictures.lonny.com/lo/Closet+Curtains+four+poster+bed+patterned+S_V4gyFH3Ojl.jpg

You could probably find them at any furniture suppliers and adapt them. You just need a basic white smaller table and then you attach some wheels. Find a slightly larger one to cover it and away you go. I bet you a good carpenter could replicate that for reasonable money.

chronoguy

Reaction score

separately... does anyone know where i can find this desk, or a similar desk? (small table with drawer slides out of bigger table)?

http://www2.pictures.lonny.com/lo/Closet+Curtains+four+poster+bed+patterned+S_V4gyFH3Ojl.jpg

That is a West Elm "Jay Desk." I happen to have that desk as a "hold-over" until I can afford an Eames Desk Unit.
They go for about $200, I think. I got mine for a hundred bucks off Craigslist.

Here it is pictured with my nice, authentic $3,200 Eames SoftPad management chair and Tolomeo desk lamp. I don't really like it because I need a lower desk for my 27' iMac. It works fine with a laptop in terms of height. I keep my chair low so it doesn't scratch the arms. I have the hutch which is also removable but I need the storage. The one in your link doesn't have the hutch. The small writing desk slides out. It is compact.

Here is the white one found on the net.

Last edited:

dcinitial

Reaction score
That is a West Elm "Jay Desk." I happen to have that desk as a "hold-over" until I can afford an Eames Desk Unit.
They go for about $200, I think. I got mine for a hundred bucks off Craigslist.

Here it is pictured with my nice, authentic $3,200 Eames SoftPad management chair and Tolomeo desk lamp. I don't really like it because I need a lower desk for my 27' iMac. It works fine with a laptop in terms of height. I keep my chair low so it doesn't scratch the arms. I have the hutch which is also removable but I need the storage. The one in your link doesn't have the hutch. The small writing desk slides out. It is compact.

Here is the white one found on the net.

Is that a clock on your desk lamp? Where did you get it?

chronoguy

Reaction score

I need that flip clock. I have the flip clock screensaver on my Mac but want a real one! Does it work or is it just a paper weight?

It works. It is also very quiet as well. I have a Nelson "Flock of Butterfly" clock in the same room and it makes a lot of noise.

you seem to like the same stuff I like. Here is a teaser for you. Remember the Pollock chair? $20.

It is gonna look like this when I'm finished restoring it. This is another I have in my Den.

Last edited:

mellowyellow

Reaction score
ahh!! thanks choronoguy :) however, i think westelm has probably discontinued this line? i can't seem to find it on their website anymore. i think it's a really nice desk and will fit well in my tiny, tiny studio.

i also LOVE that clock!

and how much will restoring the Pollock cost you? do you do it yourself?

chronoguy

Reaction score

ahh!! thanks choronoguy :) however, i think westelm has probably discontinued this line? i can't seem to find it on their website anymore. i think it's a really nice desk and will fit well in my tiny, tiny studio.

i also LOVE that clock!

and how much will restoring the Pollock cost you? do you do it yourself?

You might be right. I see them all the time on craigslist. Also, CB2 and West Elm do sell similar style "writing desks"

As for the Pollock, I'll just re-oil it, condition it and treat the leather. Maybe $25 in materials. I'm not going to re-upholster it. There are no tears or rips.The tufting is still good. It will look a little distressed and vintage but that is cool with me. It will be for the spare guest room.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads