• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Eames Lounge Chair copies... worth it?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

If you'd take a break from attempting to insult me, maybe you could read my posts with a more accurate tone.

It's the content of your posts that I take issue with, not your tone. You had the same issue years ago when it came to clothes. You seemed to think categorial knowledge of certain things was enough to overcome thoughtful critique or evade the need for a more analytical approach. Hence, for a long time, you could not appreciate flaws in the fit of your Ralph Lauren suits--because, to you, they were simply Ralph Lauren suits, which for you, imbued them with some undefeatable, intrinsic rightness. We see the same problem now amidst the NSM crowd, who cannot fathom that their tailor is capable of objective mistakes. Developing taste--regardless of context--is instrinsically an analytical venture, as it has to do with deepening one's understanding and appreciation of things, not simply knowing about them. People who rely on labels and categories have zero taste.

In the case of design and furniture, you seem to be guided foremost by what things are (whether "Bauhaus" or "Danish" or whatever), when actually, it is infinitely more important why they are what they are. Your categorical rejection of contemporary modern design is a symptom of this fallacy. The merit of classic modernist design has nothing to do with the fact that it is classic modernist, but is found in the conceptual rationality underpinning it. Eames, Corbusier, Saarinen, whoever, would reject any tenacious attachment to any temporal or regional category of design, as a fundamental point of modernism is to never fear doing what is new.

Picking an MCM piece on the basis that it is "classic" is a terrible reason to pick an MCM piece. It is a betrayal of everything that makes it worthwhile. Instead, you ought to pick it because your understanding of it makes it beautiful to you. Once you are in that mindset, there is no reason to reject new things simply because they are new.

Last edited:

WOODEN

Reaction score
Brittany Paris, I'm considering buying from Rove, so thanks for your posts. Hard to get independent reviews of Rove, isn't it?

I've bought Eames furniture from Herman Miller, which is a great company, and Modernica, which used to make the ESU for Herman Miller. Everything from both has been great.

Thanks again and hope you enjoy your chair.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

It's the content of your posts that I take issue with, not your tone. You had the same issue years ago when it came to clothes. You seemed to think categorial knowledge of certain things was enough to overcome thoughtful critique or evade the need for a more analytical approach. Hence, for a long time, you could not appreciate flaws in the fit of your Ralph Lauren suits--because, to you, they were simply Ralph Lauren suits, which for you, imbued them with some undefeatable, intrinsic rightness. We see the same problem now amidst the NSM crowd, who cannot fathom that their tailor is capable of objective mistakes. Developing taste--regardless of context--is instrinsicallty an analytical venture, as it has to do with deepening one's understanding and appreciation of things, not simply knowing about them. People who rely on labels and categories have zero taste.

In the case of design and furniture, you seem to be guided foremost by what things are (whether "Bauhaus" or "Danish" or whatever), when actually, it is infinitely more important why they are what they are. Your categorical rejection of contemporary modern design is a symptom of this fallacy. The merit of classic modernist design has nothing to do with the fact that it is classic modernist, but is found in the conceptual rationality underpinning it. Eames, Corbusier, Saarinen, whoever, would reject any tenacious attachment to any temporal or regional category of design, as a fundamental point of modernism is to never fear doing what is new.

Picking an MCM piece on the basis that it is "classic" is a terrible reason to pick an MCM piece. It is a betrayal of everything that makes it worthwhile. Instead, you ought to pick it because your understanding of it makes it beautiful to you. Once you are in that mindset, there is no reason to reject new things simply because they are new.

Anything else that you would like to project onto me? You really know how to run away with a very small amount of information.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
See? You are somehow never on point. There is nothing being "projected" onto you. I am addressing you as directly as possible. If you wanted to respond materially, you could.

Anyway, it was the same way with clothes. In that case, how long did it take to realize your knowledge might be outpacing your understanding?

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ok, and previously in a similar assumption you were going on about how I only admire Danish wooden furniture and you decided it was do to an admiration of joinery.

Now, in your estimation, I only like classics and its because they are classics...

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
No. It is not in my estimation. It is directly stated in your criticisms of contemporary modern design.

Hayward

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This thread has become a sock drawer. Reev, stop this. Karl Rove doesn't need you to help him sell knockoff chairs. You know he has them all bugged, right?

twistoffat

Reaction score
Gentleman you are both right so I suggest pistols at dawn before this eloquent mud slinging match gets dirty. Skinny does exhibit a love for "classics" but you mafoofan give me at least a sense of appreciating the more modern as demonstrated by your staunch support of the chair one. Both your opinions are valid and I love reading both your posts. Don't disappoint me and start a cat fight

WOODEN

Reaction score
I post under this name at the Design Addict forum, an mcm site. The knock-off debate occurs there biweekly. Modernica was an example of how tricky the debate becomes.

On the issue of Rove:

I like Iconic Interiors's YouTube videos, but they're in the UK.

Rove has never been discussed at Design Addict, although some of its competitors were recommended. Rove to me seemed better, like Iconic Interiors. But the people who made the recommendations are architects and designers, so it's very hard to tell. There's no consensus.

Herman Miller also has 15% off sales twice a year.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
architects can get original ones at massive discounts. not sure why they'd take on clients that would pay an architect for work but insist on squeezing a few hundred bucks on knockoff chairs.

chronoguy

Reaction score
Deals can be had new, open box if one is diligent.

DWR has an outlet in New Jersey and sells on eBay. Vitality web sells open-box Herman Miller stuff cheap. Vitality Web often sells open box ELO for $3500. The stuff I've bought from them often comes with the certificates of authenticity (COA).

There are also floor samples at certain stores.

DWR is closing a few stores in San Francisco and at one location,they had the Lounge Chair (in minty condition) for $3100. This has the upgraded MCL leather. They did have a killer deal on a Barcelona set but I was late (snooze and lose).

Then there is craigslist if you know what you are looking for. It takes time but deals can be found.

Last edited:

mellowyellow

Reaction score
I can't believe I read all 32 pages of this thread... (gosh!) but I did.
I am in the market to get the ELO, but I can't afford a $5000 price tag.

So I'm curious about 2 things I hope you guys can help me with:

a) Brittany -- how has your Rove replica worked out for you? Any issues with it? Any regrets? Would you recommend I get one too? Any advice?

b) Everyone else -- what else can I get for $1000? There were several suggestions in the thread that the money could be better spent with an original piece... so I am curious what are these alternatives for the price. I am looking for a lounge chair to play video games/read a book/veg out in, so nothing too pretty but completely irrelevant to the purpose I intend for it.

Thanks so much!!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads