• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Eames Lounge Chair copies... worth it?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

^^

at least SG's throne wasn't assembled by some child in the Dongguan provence.

Well, the finished parts weren't bolted together by some child in the Dongguan province. Beyond that, who can say.

kevinandrewfalk

Reaction score
Yeah, I came across this forum and thread and its like a soap opera or something! I can't get enough! hahaha!!
Brittany, can't wait to see the pics. Sounds like Rove has got the kinks worked out. Do we know where Rove gets the wood they use from? I'd love to now if its FSC wood or from renewable sources.
I'm trying to decide what to do right now too.
I have the money to spend $5K on the chair but even so, that is a LOT of money for one chair. Even knowing it will hold most of it's value and be something I have forever.
I have 2 architect friends, I emailed them to see if they knew about the trade price. They aren't close friends so I don't know how they will respond. fingers crossed.
If I can get a walnut veneer/ black leather for 3K? done.

If I get the go ahead from one of my connections, do I contact one of the official Herman Miller dealers they list on there site? They have one here in San Diego listed.
thanks people!

ES670

Reaction score
Hi Kevin, one thing you need to consider when buying brand new is that you won't know the grain pattern on the veneer until the chair arrives. For me, I'm pretty particular about the grain. So it's certainly a risk that you have to be willing to take. That's one advantage in buying used because you get to pick and choose until you find one that you like.

Brittany Paris

Reaction score

Brittany Paris

Reaction score
Forgive me for the mess, we just moved in last night. I like the chair a lot. The leather is freakin fabulous and the wood grain is really nice too. Buuuuuuuut the shock mounts on the headrest are NOT rubber. They are a hollow hard plastic. D:
So I am calling Rove once they open which is in an hour. I'm kind of upset because they advertised the rubber shock mounts. Anyway, I'll update once I hear from them.

ES670

Reaction score
Very nice, Britanny! I think they got the arm rests angle perfectly. If you don't mind and when you have the time, can you post some pix of the inside veneer and the back of the cushions? Again, I"m very impressed. As to your question about the rubber shock mounts, I believe they meant the shock mounts that connect the seat and back panels, but not the round washers on the back. Even the Herman Miller ones have plastic washers these days, so I don't think replicas would have the rubber ones which old school original Herman Miller ones had. Please keep the pictures coming!!

Last edited:

Brittany Paris

Reaction score

Very nice, Britanny! I think they got the arm rests angle perfectly. If you don't mind and when you have the time, can you post some pix of the inside veneer and the back of the cushions? Again, I"m very impressed. As to your question about the rubber shock mounts, I believe they meant the shock mounts that connect the seat and back panels, but not the round washers on the back. Even the Herman Miller ones have plastic washers these days, so I don't think replicas would have the rubber ones which old school original Herman Miller ones had. Please keep the pictures coming!!
Yeah, I just called Rove and they told me the same thing about the spacers not being rubber. I'm glad to know that they really do make the chair to spec. The leather is my favorite part, it is better than the herman miller leather samples I have. Even better than the MCL leather! I don't know how to take the covers off! Let me google it and then I'll post some pics fer ya. :)

odee911

Reaction score
Hey Brittany good to see you finally getting that chair out of the box. I agree the leather is just second to none, feels and smells amazing. I didn't even know they made leather that supple and soft. I wasn't able to get pics to you as I'm traveling overseas right now.

Taking the cushion off is easy, there are 3 hooks and a button just like the herman miller version just lift the bottom of the cushion outwards and pull up. voila cushion comes right off, putting it back on is the same slide in and push back in. I have done this at the herman miller shop and it works the same.

Nice rug by the way, I too have a eames hang it all as well...but mines on the wall LOLZ

Last edited:

Brittany Paris

Reaction score
PS: This is just a little shout out to Rove Concepts. I talked to Victor and he was so eager to help and very accommodating. There was an issue with the chair and he went above and beyond to fix it. Stellar customer service all around.

Brittany Paris

Reaction score
Odee911- Thanks, I love my cowhide. :) It's not a reproduction either. Lol. Yeah, I need to actually hang my hang it alls. But humor me, I have been living here for less than 24 hrs. :)

ES670

Reaction score
Hands down the best reproduction! I really can't believe how good it looks. Too bad I"m not able to feel the leather, but I take your word for how good and soft it is. I"m a believer!!!

Having said that, it brings us back to the questions whether it's worth it or not to buy a reproduction. It's a tough one considering how good this one is. $1,300 Vs. $3,000 is still a big difference although $1,300 for a reproduction still doesn't feel right, I have to admit. But again, as long as you're happy as a customer, it's only a number game. Thanks for the pix!!

Brittany Paris

Reaction score

Hands down the best reproduction! I really can't believe how good it looks. Too bad I"m not able to feel the leather, but I take your word for how good and soft it is. I"m a believer!!! 

Having said that, it brings us back to the questions whether it's worth it or not to buy a reproduction. It's a tough one considering how good this one is. $1,300 Vs. $3,000 is still a big difference although $1,300 for a reproduction still doesn't feel right, I have to admit. But again, as long as you're happy as a customer, it's only a number game. Thanks for the pix!!

Well, since the chair is made exactly like the original, it's worth it to me. I know some people wont agree with my decision of buying this chair but in the end, it's my life, my money and my choice.
I really am impressed with the chair. For some reason, the leather on my chair is way better than the leather sample they sent me. Maybe they upgraded it as well?
Anyway, if you want more pics of something specific, let me know. :)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads