1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was. I'd like to keep you abreast of the improvements we've made over the past few days.
    @notification emails have been added, in response to user requests

Attached images are now Full Size by default

Users are now all allowed three (3) links in their signature files,

SSL certification is now in place so you can all browse securely.

The server has been reconfigured so that site speeds will improve.

Notice: Right now the site is slow because we are fixing all the images from the past 4 months. Many of you noticed that these were missing, and we are fixing that problem now. Unfortunately, it is taking up a lot of resources and causing the site to be slow.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Eames Lounge Chair copies... worth it?

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by musicguy, Aug 9, 2011.

1. Brittany Paris

Brittany Paris Well-Known Member

I've been wondering who made the desk! The only mark I can find on it is "made in Denmark". How did you figure out that it's a Silberg desk? Also, I am dying over that chair right now. SEXY is all I can say. Just looked up pricing and new it is going for almost 2 grand. Where can I find one for $250?
    And do you blame me for loving the sofa, cowhide and lounge chair? I know they are overused but I can't help it. Maybe they aren't so unique anymore but until I get sick of them, they're staying. I'm not really into apartment therapy; my favorite blog is thebrickhouse. She isn't a millionaire and she's got cool ideas. And plus, she is frickin hilarious. :)

2. chronoguy

chronoguy Active Member

I'm not an expert of trade-dress laws. But I do know this. If you have a product, regardless of what it is called, and have a picture of Ray and Charles Eames next to it in your advertisement. That is trade-dress. An attempt to mislead and confuse consumers pure and simple. They're basically using 60 years of someone else's lineage and pedigree to sell their wares. Trade-dress laws protect that in most Western 1st world countries.

All those major website retailers have full on bios of all the various designers to each product. A majority of them do in fact call their products by their names - Nelson Bench. Noguchi Table, Eames Lounge and Ottoman but use the "reproduction" as the qualifier.

Most designs are somewhat derivative of each other. I haven't seen anything remotely original in years. Take a look at the major name brands in the US. Crate and Barrel sells an Eames "inspired" task chair and an Eames inspired "retro rocker" Restoration Hardware sells clones of Arne Jacobsen egg chairs and Emeco naval chairs. None of them use the original designers in their advertisements. And they are often not 100% shameless copies. I'm somewhat agnostic to them.

I know in China there are shops that sell clothing with Apple logos. I've even seen Blu-ray and DVD logos on dress shirts in Asia. So the laws are lax there. That stuff doesn't fly in the western world.

Ans yes, Herman Miller, in my opinion, should co-own the rights to the Lounge Chair. It was under George Nelson's Art Direction and Herman Miller's retainer of the Eames. The ELO was launched and sold by Herman Miller from the get-go. I can't say that for Vitra which is a different story but Herman Miller and Eames go hand in hand. The very first ELO and until the Eames passing, was always made by Herman Miller and no one else. So yes, they do feel the need to aggressively protect those license trademarks under the blessing of the Eames estate.

1 person likes this.
  3. Brittany Paris

Probably. I think there are a lot of girls out there that are bored sexually and they think that pain and bondage is exciting. And since everyone is talking about that book right now, it's a must read. Lemmings.

4. chronoguy

chronoguy Active Member

Etsy. Craigslist. Ebay.
    I picked up a few for $200. Just requires patience. I get them in full Vicenza black leather.

Steelcase makes a knock-off clone of the Pollock chair as well.

[​IMG]

5. chronoguy

chronoguy Active Member

I bought one at an Estate sale a while back for $100. It looks exactly like that which I later sold for a nice profit.

6. Brittany Paris

Wow. Who needs 50 shades with that chair. Lol
    Thanks for the pic, now I won't be able to sleep tonight. ;) I will definitely be scouring CL and Etsy. I haven't had any real luck with eBay lately but will try that too.

7. Brittany Paris

Yeah, estate sales scare me. That's how I got the brasilia headboard. It was a complete bedroom set with the gentleman's dresser and everything and I was the first one in but some douche ran in with "hold for douche" masking tape and claimed them before I could grab them. Only piece I was able to get was the headboard. I got there at 5am and it started at 10am. It was winter and I had to wait in a line outside for hours. Haven't been to one since. :(
    Glad you had better luck though. And $100 is insane.

8. Find Finn

Find Finn Well-Known Member

There's usually a lot of them on ebay (at least here in europe).

9. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Well-Known Member

Shut the fuck up, loser.

10. chronoguy

chronoguy Active Member

Now going back to this girl's decor. I would have never bought a reproduction/fake/knock-off ELO. That is just me.

For $$1200-1500 or whatever RoveConcept charges, I would have gotten something else. Once you go past that $1K threshold, there are so many other choices. I would spend a few bucks more for something genuine.
    If I didn't have the fund to buy a real ELO, I would get a pair of real Eames LCW

I have two of these myself and personally speaking. I am more impressed with the workmanship and the wow factor of the LCW. When you handle one, sit on one, lived with one, you will be impressed. At any angle, it is drop dead sexy. I scored two of them brand new for $1600. I think I over paid but that is ok.

[​IMG]
    Look how sexy it looks:

[​IMG]

I have the opportunity to get one in Palisander for $600 and I'm debating on getting a third one. I was also given a deal on a real ELO with MCL leather for $3100 (floor sample) but I have no need for two lounge chairs. It does look over the top when you have two like this in your living room.
    [​IMG]

I would also consider getting something else instead of Eames. Nelson coconut chair or a Wegner chair can be had for reasonable price. One can find a reasonbly mint one for $1600
    [​IMG]

11. twistoffat

twistoffat Well-Known Member

I think Chronoguy really hit the nail on the head when he said once you start getting to 1000USD area rip offs don´t make sense, especially when you see the interesting alternatives that are out there. I don´t think any copy is worth buying but Chrono has but some sort of tangible value on it.

12. edinatlanta

Would hit.

1 person likes this.
  13. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Well-Known Member

Exactly. There are some excellent choices sub $1500.

14. edinatlanta

Are we still talking about chairs?

15. Find Finn

Find Finn Well-Known Member

Yes, you are not though.

16. chronoguy

chronoguy Active Member

Yeah, this one

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Or maybe, they were distracted by this
    [​IMG]

Here is an example of a "reproduction"

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 31, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  17. edinatlanta

Let's keep iammatt and his family out of this, thanks.

1 person likes this.
  18. Brittany Paris

Multiple personalities much?

19. edinatlanta

Would you prefer me to be abusive or objectifying?

20. Brittany Paris

I love the LCW as well but it looks a bit uncomfortable to read a book in or watch a movie or other things... Lol
    I do like the coconut chair. I'll consider it but let me get over my fake Eames lounger first.

As you can tell, my place is pretty barren right now, I'm up to suggestions for wall art, etc. My grandma just sold her gemstone business and most of her rocks and I inherited some really cool pieces so they are displayed and I have some succulents/cacti and this amazing bovine:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    But other than that, pretty empty.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2013