1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Eames Lounge Chair copies... worth it?

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by musicguy, Aug 9, 2011.

1. Brittany Paris

Brittany Paris Senior member

Are those my only choices?

2. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

I don't mind design by comity for interiors, it is a collaboration. However, what could be more personal for a collector than the objects or art that you enjoy? If you can afford it, on any level, being a patron is likely to be much more enjoyable and rewarding than buying prints and framing them.

3. Brittany Paris

1 person likes this.
  4. Reevolving

Reevolving Senior member

[​IMG]

LOL, people on this forum are morons.
    She is furnishing a living room, not an art installation or catalog shoot.

Her chair is for SITTING ON, not posting on some stupid forum.
    Unlike you, she doesn't give a damn what other people think.
    She wanted a chair she could veg out on, and that's exactly what she got.
    Do you really think she would enjoy some wooden chair more than an Eames replica?
    Can you possibly be that stupid?

[​IMG]

Again, are you really telling her that these laughable non-functional pizza pie chairs are a substitute for a comfy cushioned ELO replica?
    Are you brain damaged?

Try getting off the internet, and actually sitting in a chair and reading a book, and you'll realize how idiotic your advice is in the real world.
    Stop suggesting people buy plywood planks to read a book on.
    Brittney did just fine buying her comfortable LOUNGE chair.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  5. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

you are really perfect for San Francisco.

6. Brittany Paris

Marry me? Lol! Thank you for that. Seriously.

7. twistoffat

twistoffat Senior member

So Reevolving, there you go straight into "Insult" mode, I thought we had cleared that one up.
    As for reading and sitting in the real world, I have an extensive collection of books on architecture and design(all i which I have read) and a very good friend of mine owns a furniture store specializing in Vitra , Knoll , Classicon etc so my bum has done a lot of sitting.
    Those George Nelson Coconut chairs or pizza pies you refer to are actually very comfortable indeed and actually allow you to sit sideways or straddle your legs over the corners in a very laid back fashion. This is something the Eames Chairs are not suited to long term as the wooden plates on the side of the Eames lounge chair is held by a glued rubber shock absorber than can give with time. Also if you had followed the thread from the start the main issue here is the merits of the fake over the real thing.

Brittany don´t marry anyone who only sends the Cavalry in, after you have posted what one only can describe as a fetching picture of a very attractive woman. Stick to your real husband, he is a very lucky man, as long as he can overlook your penchant for buying fakes that is ;)

8. chronoguy

chronoguy Active Member

OK dude.

First of all, she is going for a look - MCM. I think that is her a priori consideration for the ELO. Comfort second. A $150 leather Ikea Poang does the same job albeit way cheaper.
    There is also countless numbers of Chaise and loungers from the Lay-Z boy varieties that will give more comfort.

As for the LCW.

The LCW (Low Chair Wood) was voted by Time magazine as the best design of the 20th century. 2nd place was the locomotive.
    Don't knock it until you tried it. It is amazingly contoured and comfortable for a living room to hosts guests.
    It also comes in upholstered versions. Again, you are speaking from ignorance. This is basically the chair that launched the careers of the Eames.
    It may not be a long term chair where you sit for 6 hours but for 2-3 hour bouts, it is comfortable. In fact, I was debating about getting another LCW for my bedroom in lieu of a
    Corbusier LC4 (which is also a leather Lounge chair) that can be had for $1600-2000.

The point I was making is there are other alternatives to the ELO like the LC4. Which is a Mid-Century Modernist piece as well.

[​IMG]

Or the Saarinen Womb Chair. Again. Another authentic MCM, designer name, iconic piece.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Brittany Paris

Actually, Reevolving resurrected this thread a few weeks ago, backing me up before he ever knew who I was or what I look like. He hasn't said anything that would persuade me to believe that he has the hots for me. Lol, wow this thread is getting weird.
    Also, I only posted the pic because people were calling me a he. I signed in to styleforum initially with my Facebook acct so I thought it would be obvious I'm a girl. And I didn't realize until like the second week in that it was a men's forum. And I felt like an idiot once I did realize it.

10. Brittany Paris

Chronoguy, I love some of those chairs. But the Eames lounger is my all time fave. I've been drooling over it for ages but can seriously not justify the price of the real thing. There are other original items that are less out of reach pricewise that I'm planning on adding to my collection but I just had to have this chair. I may regret buying it one day but for now, I'm happy with it. Maybe in a few years I will decide to get the real thing. But buying this chair is just not going to be on my list of regrets on my death bed.

11. twistoffat

twistoffat Senior member

Even the inkling that I would later regret something would be reason enough not to do it. Don´t get me wrong money is always an important factor but if you saved how long before you would have been able to buy the real deal?

12. Brittany Paris

Good question. My life has been so unpredictable the last couple of years, I mean one thing after another. I thought we were doing great money wise and then I wrecked my car over a small hill in an ice storm. Turns out, that small wreck left my engine hanging on by a thread. Then we up and move across the state of WA and that got spendy. So, right now I am waiting for the next disaster to happen and trying to save for that and not an authentic eames lounger. But let me tell you, I always have my eyes peeled for a thrifty find. Every yard sale I drive by, I dream of finding something like this:
    http://www.the-brick-house.com/2010/03/thrifty-67/

13. twistoffat

twistoffat Senior member

Okay, lets go a step further. If you managed to find a deal like this or even for a bit more say 1000USD. You buy, bring it home etc etc. How will you view the fake you bought knowing the prominence of the real one you now have. I´m not trying to trick you with this question but simply stating that I feel deep down you let a combination of lusting after the chair for years together with your current financial situation, coerce you into a buying a fake, a fake that under under circumstances you would probably have avoided. To be honest after seeing some of your other nice original items and following your contribution to this thread I detect a slight hint of lamentation on your part (correct me if i´m wrong). This was the whole issue that started the thread. I know from my own experience. Years ago I bought a fake Burberry bag as a poor student thinking it would still my desire. I used it once, it wasn´t the same and I gave it away disgusted at my own impatience.

14. Reevolving

Reevolving Senior member

Forget the $4500 chair, if you have any financial issues whatsoever, you really should not be buying a $1200 chair. Even a $200 recliner is even a splurge at your level. Before you start pissing money on luxuries, you should have 3 years of living expenses in the bank, at a bare minimum. You may find the following thread interesting, and it will also shed light on the financial lives of typical (broke) posters here.

http://www.styleforum.net/t/248651/net-worth-before-you-can-afford-500-shoes/0_100

Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
  15. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

Marry me.

16. Brittany Paris

Yeah, I know. I agree totally, but I actually came in to some money right before I got the chair so that's how I justify it in my mind. And it's not like I'm at the risk of living on the street. I'm resilient, trust. :)

17. Brittany Paris

Rico Suave over here. Lol

18. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

I agree in a sense with the comment, but your post can describe many things that he is overly reading into. Some have a theoretical threshold for monthly spending that they simply chose not to exceed because there is priority elsewhere or it simply makes them uncomfortable. Which out of context might seem like something else entirely.

Many of the architects and designers that we so admire were driven to build for the masses, rather than building only for wealthy patrons. currently this is something that require spending power, but the implication that this is a lifestyle and reserved strictly for the wealthy is rediculous.

This furniture is not a lifestyle, but can be part of one. This is for the enthusiast as much as anyone else. Furniture sold as a lifestyle and advertised specifically to the wealthy is often one-off or short run completely hand made.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
  19. twistoffat

twistoffat Senior member

Reevolvings question is irrevelant to the thread and Brittanys purchase. It has been proven that during times of recession that the phenomnen known as "Nesting" is more prevelant than during the good times. If you are a bit finalcially strapped its easier to merit a 1000$ purchase over 500$ shoes although for some low income groups such amounts would keep a family above water for a month or possibly more. As for the "Typical broke poster here" its an internet forum and not Bobbys pub on a friday in January so I wouldn´t expext to be surrounded by millionaires, to be quite honest that would be dreadfully boring. Reevolving posts regularly here as well so I presume he is as broke or as bored as the rest of us. This forum is a cheap and efficient way to get opinions and discuss a hobby with like minded people. You don´t need money to have an opinion.

20. Reevolving

Reevolving Senior member

All opinions are equal, but some opinions are more equal than others....