• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dress watch recommendation

Dom_P

Reaction score
Gents

I've been trolling for a few weeks, but this is my first post, so go easy on me
smile.gif

I'm looking for a dress watch in the under 5k USD price range. Black leather strap, no date or other complications, manual wind or automatic is OK. Just something simple/elegant.

Thoughts?

Gauss17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by artoftime
Glashutte Original Senator

Keep in mind you can put a black watch strap on just about any watch. I personally recommend always initially buying the watch on a steel bracelet (if it is an option) as they are expensive and better to include in the initial discount for the watch.

The above is a solid choice. Other options would include: IWC Portofino, IWC vintage ingenieur (might be a bit high on price), JLC Master Control, JLC Master Ultra Thin, or a Grand Seiko.

If you want to spend less: Cheaper options that still look excellent are the Longines Silver Arrow, Hamilton Jazzmaster Viewmatic, MIDO Baroncelli (COSC Certified), or my personal favorite - a 1960's Omega Seamaster.

Should give you enough to look through.

Reaction score
yeah the senator is tough to beat. was gonna say maybe a railmaster but it's not really a dress watch.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
The Glashutte is a great watch no doubt. But I gotta say a simple IWC sure is the cats pajamas. Im also really liking the JLC master ultra thin. sweet and simple.
wink.gif

kcc

Reaction score
Rolex cal. 1570 movement, solid gold vintage can be purchased for < 5K or Omega Connie cal. 505, date solid gold with arrowhead markers for < 4K.

Dom_P

Reaction score
I like the Glashutte Original Senator, problem is I'd be tempted to get it in pink gold, and the WAF (wife acceptance factor) is going to be low at that price point
smile.gif

The 1960s seamaster is an interesting idea. It's pretty much exactly what I'm looking for and will leave me some cash to add another toy. Anyone have a reputable online vendor they use for vintage watches? I'd be worried about getting ripped off on eBay.

Dom_P

Reaction score
That portofino is an awesome looking watch at that price point... It's just a little too busy looking for what I'm after.

Dom_P

Reaction score
Nifty, That 2011 senator is exactly the look I'm after... I might end up have to have a heart to heart with the Missus.
smile.gif

Gauss17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dom_P
I like the Glashutte Original Senator, problem is I'd be tempted to get it in pink gold, and the WAF (wife acceptance factor) is going to be low at that price point
smile.gif

The 1960s seamaster is an interesting idea. It's pretty much exactly what I'm looking for and will leave me some cash to add another toy. Anyone have a reputable online vendor they use for vintage watches? I'd be worried about getting ripped off on eBay.

Ebay is not usually the best for vintage pieces. The are many reputable online vintage dealers, seriously just google "vintage omega seamaster". Chrono24 is also an excellent place to look, try and find sellers in the US with the certified tag.

Sharp Obsession

Reaction score
I am in a similar boat. I was considering the Glashutte Original Panorama Date (although over $5k) or the Jaeger Lecoultre Master Control (closer to $5k).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads