• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dress Watch conundrum

Reaction score
i'm looking for a similar watch as you.

i like zenith and even when they made garish stuff the elites still looked pretty good and understated.

i actually like the ones from that period more.

i really like the JLC MUT but wish they had a bigger version of the old dial with arabics at 3,6,9,12.

the moon version is okay i guess and actually quite pretty but it kinda takes out the purist fun of the old MUT's.

i owned a 35mm before but it was stolen. loved winding it. i wore it daily.

i feel you on the portofino. some of the older ones are nice though but i'd get something else if i were to go iwc.

glasshute senator sixties?

Mark Anthony

Reaction score
GO is going above my cap of $4K.

I went into a local AD today to try on a Zenith Ultra Thin (base model with sub seconds at 9:00) as well as a JLC Master Control, Master Ultra Thin (38mm and 40mm) and a Reverso Duo (32mm x 44mm).

The MUT were double the price of the Zenith and to be honest I found the Zenith to be the most attractive of the three. Simple classy and retro look to it.

The Master Control just didn't do it, seemed to casual to be a dress watch and could not see it dressing down that well either.

The Reverso Duo was amazing but way out of my range. I was more sizing it out if I ever found a deal on the slighly smaller 976.

Omega has the De Ville Small Seconds (39mm) which was nice and the least pricey of all. Not crazy about roman numerals though, but it is a possibility.

Thanks again to all who replied.

Reaction score

a lot more? would be above mine then as well then.

plus prices in asia aren't thebest at least the AD's i go to.

what about something from nomos?

Mark Anthony

Reaction score

a lot more? would be above mine then as well then.

plus prices in asia aren't thebest at least the AD's i go to.

what about something from nomos?

BNIB from an AD is low $5k mark for GO. Not too many to be found pre owned which says good things about them.

Reaction score
thanks for the heads up! looked at the zeniths online i do like the new elites more than the new MUT's.. :slayer: comments on the mov't just have me thinking twice. i'd be cool with something from junghans as well if they were made better.

Last edited:

Akeem

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A vintage DJ on gator is quite classic looking and would work perfectly fine as a dress watch. If you love the DJ, keep it. I disagree with anyone saying that it wouldn't work at a wedding. Nobody would ever notice what watch you were wearing unless you had a hublot or uboat on your wrist.
Now if you're looking to rationalize a new purchase, that is a different story and I would say go for a JLC as well. Just not the MUT which is too thin for my tastes. The master grand taille or master control would be my pick for something around 4k.

jj-moody

Reaction score
The longines is a good looking watch, at least much better looking than the JLC you might upgrade to. What is your main motivation for switching up? If it is for cachet then the answers are easy, if for aesthetics then the answers are still somewhat straightforward. If you want both, then it is out of your price range.

Last edited:

Mark Anthony

Reaction score

The longines is a good looking watch, at least much better looking than the JLC you might upgrade to. What is your main motivation for switching up? If it is for cachet then the answers are easy, if for aesthetics then the answers are still somewhat straightforward. If you want both, then it is out of your price range.
Fair question. I am looking to have two very good watches so that if the collection never grows I can say no compromises or regrets. The PO fits the bill perfectly for the casual watch and am very happy with it. The Longines falls short in that it is a bit too small for my tastes (have it on right now to help me decide more). It is 35mm and the 40mm version is about $4500 BNIB and impossible to find used. For that kind of money I think a pre owned JLC or IWC is a better option even if it is in stainless steel instead of solid Rose Gold.

jj-moody

Reaction score
If the choice is between IWC or JLC, then JLC wins hands down. Zenith doesn't really have the same zing as the JLC brand either.

For casual though, I would get an omega blue hour vision. JLC for dress is a classy choice.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads