• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dress vs Athletic shoe size

On average how much smaller do you take your dress shoes than your athletic shoes

• same size

• 1/2 size smaller

• 1 size smaller

• more than 1 size smaller

Results are only viewable after voting.

EzraPaul

Reaction score
In my experience, most men take their dress shoes somewhere between zero and one sizes smaller than their athletic shoes (nike, adidas, etc) and I thought it would be interesting to see if that is born out in the data via a poll.

I have also observed that men with wide feet will often size up in length, particularly in athletic shoes, but I am curious if men with narrow feet wear closer to the same size between athletic and dress. If you have a non-D width, please note that in the comments.

I have also noticed that cheaper dress shoes tend to be closer in size to athletic shoes and Euro designer shoes tend to run larger (further from athletic size). This might not actually be the case, but my anecdotal observations make me think there's possibly some truth to it.

Lastly, I am aware that different brands, lasts, etc have different sizing, so please toss out outliers and use only US sizing.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wear 4 E athletic shoes and regrettably the same size in dress shoes-
some 3Es fit, but very few. To further complicate matters, I have low insteps,
which makes the few 4Es available too loose. I have several pairs of Ludwig
Reiters that fit perfectly because of a specific last. They are more than 10
years old. Naturally, the last is no longer available.

Sam Hober

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Part of the measurements are the last shape, for example, I like the New Balance SL-2 last which has a wide toe box which I don't normally see that in dress shoes.

New Balance also offers a 6E which I rarely see in dress shoes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads