• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dress shoes for clubs/bars

brad-t

Bae Blade
Reaction score
Originally Posted by *Tee*
Although a lot of people in here ( especially American folks ) are obviously of the opinion that a shoe should look EITHER dressy OR sporty, i.e. should EITHER be a dress shoe OR a sneaker, I personally appreciate shoes which are able to do the splits between dressy AND sporty. When I got out clubbing, I neither wear a normal sneaker ( too sporty ), nor a real, heeled dress shoe ( to uncomfortable ), but mostly those Dries Van Noten "hybrids":

79149.jpg

this is what we call a "design abortion"

*Tee*

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love them and find them rather minimalistic ( except the lace-loop ) than overdesigned.

PS: Who is "we" ? Shemale United F.C. ?

*Tee*

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ So they're neither under- nor overdesigned, but simply a "design abortion" ?

Whoa. You hurt me "bro".

PS: When did you discover your rage for writing in quotation marks ? Pre- or post-... you know what.

( You can PM me if you consider that question too intimate of course... )

Makeshift_Robot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1) Buy nice dress shoes/boots at a thrift store/ebay.
2) Wear them out dancing.

Easy as that.

Those Dries shoes just don't work for me. Maybe it's because I've spent my whole life in America, but I really think that dressed up means dressed up. Not too big on the black blazer/black striped shirt/wet-looking jeans/"dress hybrid shoe" look. I've had much more success with suits that actually work with my complexion (about 85% of Caucasian guys who think they can wear a black suit really can't) and $30 thrifted beatle boots.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
I'll never understand the people who don't wear nice clothes while going out because they're affraid of the rivers of vomit and alcohol they are bound to wade into. I probably party harder than 99% of you guys and even if I wake up in the hospital, covered in a weird orange mixture I just drop stuff at the dry cleaner and i'm good to go. Why would I look like a loser when I go out anyway?

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
I'll never understand the people who don't wear nice clothes while going out because they're affraid of the rivers of vomit and alcohol they are bound to wade into. I probably party harder than 99% of you guys and even if I wake up in the hospital, covered in a weird orange mixture I just drop stuff at the dry cleaner and i'm good to go. Why would I look like a loser when I go out anyway?

+1. The only thing I need in shoes are rubber soles so that I am not slipping and sliding (unintentionally) but other than that, just wear whatever you want.

Plus most clubs/bars that I go to won't even let you in with sneakers or any shoes that slightly resembles one unless you're someone famous or gonna make it rain.

BB1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1. I actually keep a pair of crappy shoes in the truck of my car for this very purpose, yet I've never actually been able to bring myself to wear them. I always just brave it with my nicer footwear. It's quite rare for me to irrevocably destroy a clothing item and every time it has happened I was not even in a "bad" environment anyway! Such incidents seem nearly unpredictable, so it's not worth worrying about.

Embargo63

Reaction score
+1 RFX45

IMHO, most places worth going to tend not to let sneaker/tennis shoe wearers in. The ones that do are truly "wear whatever you want" places. I have found in my weekend experiences that most of the time, the "wear whatever" places are sadly lacking in attractive ladies
confused.gif

So, in short, my opinion for what it's worth is just to dress your feet according to where you are going!

TM79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No one said don't wear nice clothes. They just said don't wear your best shoes. Who sees them? Can they get ruined? No brainer here.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TM79
No one said don't wear nice clothes. They just said don't wear your best shoes. Who sees them? Can they get ruined? No brainer here.

Who sees them:

1) me
2) friends
3) other patrons
4) sometimes photog/bloggers

Can they be ruined:
1) honestly how often do you end up being covered in vomit and piss (unintentionally that is...)

About dress codes: the coolest (read hypest) bars don't have official dress codes, they go by strict door policies instead.

bananananana

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
You can see them. That's like saying why wear nice clothes when most people can't tell if they're from Barneys or Old Navy.

Plus, half the board nuts themselves when they see a dusty ass pair of indy boots and calls it "patina." Or they buy PS or NDC shoes that look busted up out of the box already. What's the difference between that and if someone at the bar steps on your shoes. At least if you have nice shoes on it gives you a legit and legal excuse to punch them in the back of the head.

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm in the "Don't wear your best shoes" camp. I can't wear my leather soles in the rain, but its ok to go splashing about in spilled vodka and beer?

I personally have a few pairs of nice loafers with a rubber sole, nothing expensive (like £50 a pair) but smart enough to get me in anywhere. If they finally get too beaten up to take a decent polish then its pocket money to replace them.

Also, as pointed out anyone already in a club will be too drunk to look at your feet properly. You shoes are a secret between you and the doorman.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads