• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dress shoes for clubs/bars

BB1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Blackhood
They can't change the client, thats the point. If you don't care enough to dress up then you don't get in. They know no one is going to change, therefore they can safely bar them. It must work otherwise they wouldn't do it.
BS, the client will often change in order to fit in. A lot of people choose to comply with these dress codes, even if they don't entirely like it. It's simply the path of least resistance for them. That there are others in this thread (whom mostly wear sneakers in their fit pics) talking about needing the proper shoes provides us with some antidotal proof of this. It's analogous to most office environments. Most employees don't truly want to wear business casual crap. Yet they will choose to comply with the work dress code, the same as they choose to comply with the club dress code. Dressing according to "the code" only proves you "care" in the shallowest and most unauthentic manner imaginable. It is really more of a test of how willing to you are to conform to rigid rules in order to create a collective image desired by someone else, in this case the commercial interests of the club owner. Personally I always feel the most comfortable when there are no rules and a wide variety of styles present. Anything from skateboarder wear to a suit is fine as long as it's stylish. Such clientele always seems more authentic and interesting to me.

Captain Winky

Reaction score
If you cop on sale, Zara shoes end up being pretty cheap and perfect beaters. I have some that were bought as bar shoes like three years ago, have waded through every substance imaginable, and have still held up better than many pairs of more expensive shoes I own.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
I'll never understand the people who don't wear nice clothes while going out because they're affraid of the rivers of vomit and alcohol they are bound to wade into. I probably party harder than 99% of you guys and even if I wake up in the hospital, covered in a weird orange mixture I just drop stuff at the dry cleaner and i'm good to go. Why would I look like a loser when I go out anyway?

A friend of mine once lost a Dries van Noten scarf when the police took her to the hospital for alcohol poisoning.

bossman08

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BB1
BS, the client will often change in order to fit in. A lot of people choose to comply with these dress codes, even if they don't entirely like it. It's simply the path of least resistance for them. That there are others in this thread (whom mostly wear sneakers in their fit pics) talking about needing the proper shoes provides us with some antidotal proof of this.

It's analogous to most office environments. Most employees don't truly want to wear business casual crap. Yet they will choose to comply with the work dress code, the same as they choose to comply with the club dress code.

Dressing according to "the code" only proves you "care" in the shallowest and most unauthentic manner imaginable. It is really more of a test of how willing to you are to conform to rigid rules in order to create a collective image desired by someone else, in this case the commercial interests of the club owner.

Personally I always feel the most comfortable when there are no rules and a wide variety of styles present. Anything from skateboarder wear to a suit is fine as long as it's stylish. Such clientele always seems more authentic and interesting to me.

I see what you're saying, but most club/bar owners see the dress code as more of a business move and in some instances, for safety reasons, sadly. At many places, the dress code is used to create an atmosphere of 'elegance' and 'professionalism', so in order to attract their target clientele, they institute a dress code and market accordingly. They create this aura that people want to be apart of and feel special.

But above everything, we all know it's about attracting the ladies. Most women going to the club will primp and try to look their best...they will be reluctant to go if there's a chance they'll be surrounded by skateboarders and potheads no matter how 'cool' it may seem.

Makeshift_Robot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BB1
BS, the client will often change in order to fit in. A lot of people choose to comply with these dress codes, even if they don't entirely like it. It's simply the path of least resistance for them. That there are others in this thread (whom mostly wear sneakers in their fit pics) talking about needing the proper shoes provides us with some antidotal proof of this.

It's analogous to most office environments. Most employees don't truly want to wear business casual crap. Yet they will choose to comply with the work dress code, the same as they choose to comply with the club dress code.

Dressing according to "the code" only proves you "care" in the shallowest and most unauthentic manner imaginable. It is really more of a test of how willing to you are to conform to rigid rules in order to create a collective image desired by someone else, in this case the commercial interests of the club owner.

Personally I always feel the most comfortable when there are no rules and a wide variety of styles present. Anything from skateboarder wear to a suit is fine as long as it's stylish. Such clientele always seems more authentic and interesting to me.

Completely agree. I'm usually in the opposite court: wearing nice leather boots, button-downs, ties, etc. to class or work or college clubs. I hate seeing guys who are wearing dressy clothes as a uniform, because it looks so sloppy and graceless. I'd much rather see them in jeans and sweatshirts if that's what it took to make them more comfortable (mentally, not physically).

Some uses of "the code" are good IMO, like when you dress up to show respect to others. I wear a full suit, tie, and pocket square when I perform or when I see classical/jazz concerts, to show respect to the people who took the time to come listen to my ensemble or to the people who are playing their music for me. I go cords and a sportcoat when I see my grandparents, because my grandfather always wears a sportcoat and I don't want him to be ashamed of me.

When it's a club, though, I really don't get the dress codes. Personal style has a way of showing up no matter what you wear; you can tell if the guy who's wearing a leather jacket usually wears suits all week, or if the guy in the jeans and old t is usually head-to-toe gothninja. In the same way, all the douchebags at a club still look like douchebags, and all the slobs still look like slobs. Doesn't seem like a useful set of rules to me.

Odd Morsel

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
what kind of pig's trough do you guys go out to? I sometimes go out to places where drugs are consumed in the open and people **** in corners and I don't continually walk in those vodka lakes.

+1 Why are people fronting like they're always going to bars/clubs where people are constantly spraying liquor and vomiting all over the place?

Of course you don't want to wear your pretty dress shoes to the clubs, but should you rock your nice gear? Absolutely. Where else would you wear it?

Biggen

Reaction score
I usually wear my Common Projects shell toes in navy suede. It's a great pair of shoes that works at most places and with most of my outfits.

Astan

Reaction score
I ought to wear my old beat up PS derbys with a dainite sole but I usually throw caution to the wind and slap on my butteros or 1k mile boots.

Stylin-1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BubblyMasquerade
what a dumb *****
lol8[1].gif

Originally Posted by Astan
I ought to wear my old beat up PS derbys with a dainite sole but I usually throw caution to the wind and slap on my butteros or 1k mile boots.

I fail to see how wearing workboots to a bar is "throwing caution to the wind".

Nereis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The door can reject you for any reason they want. As a rule you show up with at least one girl for every guy. Then you can wear whatever the hell you want.

Biscotti

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I almost always wear my chelsea boots. I've never been to a bar with a dress code, but the again I just go to ****** little neighborhood bars.

hboogz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nereis
The door can reject you for any reason they want. As a rule you show up with at least one girl for every guy. Then you can wear whatever the hell you want.
EDIT: I've resigned to caring about dress codes a long time ago since I've repeatedly seen these bad boys work all-the-*******-time; and I live and go out all over NYC... I'd love to see someone denied just because they are rocking these beauts since I've seen people get turned down for sneakers ten times over. I never quite understood the whole shoe dress code thing at clubs/bars, it's really asinine.
fail1.bmp

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nereis

This varies greatly, some places are "We know you (or have a list) or stay out." others are "we like your look" and other still "good ratio". Right now my favourite going out shoes are my Rick Owens trainers.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads