• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dress Pants

JonathanM5

Reaction score
New to dressing nice and don't know where to shop. I'd like to find a pair of dark gray dress pants. I prefer an athletic fit with a slight taper. And would like them to be less than $150. Where would you look?

gimpwiz

Reaction score
For what you're looking for, I'd start with J Crew, Todd Snyder, Spier & Mackay, Suitsupply, if shopping from standard retail (but maybe on sale.) Many others might show up in that price range on big sales or new old stock / deadstock / new with tags second-hand.

bdunn

Reaction score
New to dressing nice and don't know where to shop. I'd like to find a pair of dark gray dress pants. I prefer an athletic fit with a slight taper. And would like them to be less than $150. Where would you look?
What kind of fabric are you looking for?

I like Spier and McKay personally but there are plenty of other reputable manufacturers.

JonathanM5

Reaction score
I'm thinking semi-lightweight wool. But not sure. I'm targeting business casual look and 4 season. Live in the US, Midwest area so it's both hot and cold.

Kim Gerry

Reaction score
feeling same, i'm not understanding what should i wear for a date

JonathanM5

Reaction score
feeling same, i'm not understanding what should i wear for a date
LOL - exact same situation. A super hot date (news anchor) asked me to a wine bar. When looking through my closet - I realized I had a problem. I have clothes for coffee shops and then a few for job interviews.
So seeking some style guidance. I'm not into the full suit look, just no place to wear that for me. But looking sharp on dates with a classic menswear look is the goal. OCBD + Sportcoat and then slacks, chinos or jeans depending on the occasion.
Don't want to buy a lot of new clothes. So looking for utilitarian pieces that are well made.

Someone be my style hero and let me know what the proven 'lady slayer' slacks are.

Harwid

Reaction score
I like Zanella but a little more money. You can find them on sale.

Neiman Marcus in house brand would work well.

Jeff

Harwid

Reaction score
Less than $150? You are hallucinating. Maybe online at that price.

????

Saks Off 5th has Zanella at $120. Not the most expensive models of course.

Neiman Marcus in house brand less than $150 at NM Last Call. Although there aren’t many Last Call outlets around anymore so maybe they don’t have large stocks of dress pants anymore. I haven’t looked for them lately. I was there 2 days ago.

Jeff

Club Soda

Reaction score
In most cases, you get what you pay for with clothing. Start by building the good habit of buying one conservative foundation piece at a reasonable average price.

O'Connell's is the epitomy of a classic independent US men's clothier based in Buffalo, New York. You'll pay a bit more than what you're looking to spend but if you get a mid-grey gab you'll have a dependable pair of pants you'll have for a long time.

J.Press is another good one but the price point is mostly the same. Brooks Brothers has deep sales and is still serviceable.

Current mall type brands usually fit short in the rise, tight in the thighs, and will be made of low quality material and workmanship.

It's better to go with more conservative, older brands because the will be more comfortable in the fit and small adjustments can be made by a tailor, a good relationship to build, to make it more flattering. Dress pants from the three brands I mentioned may be more full cut than what you want, but can be tapered. A less expensive brand will look good in the mirror but not preform on a weekly basis.

Welcome and enjoy yourself.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads