• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Drape tutorial?

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film Noir Buff
If you don't believe these circles exist then I dont see the point in pursuing the concept.

I don't believe I've ever questioned whether such circles exist, I just question whether they function in the manner you suggest. If anything, I think you're giving far too much credit to the American clothing industry. It's not there to propogate good taste, but to sell stuff.

I do think there's some give and take between consumer, retailer and wholesaler etc... After several years of experimenting and looking ridiculous, Americans will crave more structure which will put pressure on buyers.
Yes, and a few years after that, the pendulum will swing again. Always something new.

I imagine some people who count are buying Tom Ford maybe more for casual or in more fashion forward industries?
Yes, I agree with this as well. But it's a far cry from suggesting Tom Ford is taking his cues from those people.

Part of the dissipation of the Ivy Tribalism is complex and I think there are both venn circles and concentric circles. Maybe one working model of a properly dressed person with panache is one that is both accepted amongst as many venn circles as possible and is also advanced concentrically.
I'm with you on this as well, though I'm not quite sure what you mean by "advanced concentrically."

No argument, just a good natured discussion.
Fair enough. It's been interesting, FNB.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday

At this point, I don't think you're arguing with me at all.

You're learning, young padawan.

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
The influential:
google-founders1.jpg

That's your pick for influential? Wealthy and talented for sure, but influential in 2009? How influential, currently, really? No one is rolling-out "Google-killer" business plans...the dumb, and easily influenced, are still chasing the "social networking" trends of the past few years. What are Page & Brin influencing that dozens other other super-wealthy tech founders aren't?

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If this thread continues for eight more pages, I blame you.

If this thread continues for eight more pages, I blame you.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't believe I've ever questioned whether such circles exist, I just question whether they function in the manner you suggest. If anything, I think you're giving far too much credit to the American clothing industry. It's not there to propogate good taste, but to sell stuff.
I don't know that this is the way they function either. They may function in a different way or in several. They are like Dinosaur skeletons, we may not know exactly how they were pieced together or what their skins looked like but we know that they existed. This is more of a market theory than a clothing theory. I have no doubt that you can get American men to buy any slop. I have seen some of the cloth purchases around by amateur designers and the results are nothing short of theatrical. As a Film Noir Buff, I assure you I appreciate them for what they are.
Yes, and a few years after that, the pendulum will swing again. Always something new.
Well, that's America for you, it finds its median through extremes.
Yes, I agree with this as well. But it's a far cry from suggesting Tom Ford is taking his cues from those people.
He was one of the first designers to give the mainstream a feeling that they were rockstars. I think you can learn from all sorts of sources. The question is are you afraid that exposure leads to contamination?
I'm with you on this as well, though I'm not quite sure what you mean by "advanced concentrically."
That you are taking it to the next level within your own circle. For example, in your social set, everyone wears a pocket square, you might put yours in your pocket differently or wear a flower as well.

ohm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by constant struggle
does anyone have the idea of drape applied to their shirting?

You can't see that portion of the shirt under the jacket.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by constant struggle
does anyone have the idea of drape applied to their shirting?

Apples and oranges.

Gutman

Reaction score
Basically, it's just a softer fall of the fabric around the chest - close fitting but loose at the same time. In other words, a contoured shape with the impression of moulded compound curves in the jacket. Looks a little less structured or stiff than other styles.

It's a lot of talk about very little. Drape doesn't do much for a poor physique - you give the frame to the jacket, rather than the jacket giving some framing to you
smile.gif
I've only had one jacket with something of a drape, and it was very nice soft dark brown Harris Tweed with overcheck, but a little too short for me overall so I ditched it. Shame.

If anyone can give a better explanation I would like to hear it though - seems to be a fair bit of snobbish preference for the approach of certain tailors. Nice if you can afford that, but really an irrelevancy for most of us (sadly). A good fit is far more important.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gutman
Basically, it's just a softer fall of the fabric around the chest - close fitting but loose at the same time. In other words, a contoured shape with the impression of moulded compound curves in the jacket. Looks a little less structured or stiff than other styles.

It's a lot of talk about very little. Drape doesn't do much for a poor physique - you give the frame to the jacket, rather than the jacket giving some framing to you
smile.gif
I've only had one jacket with something of a drape, and it was very nice soft dark brown Harris Tweed with overcheck, but a little too short for me overall so I ditched it. Shame.

If anyone can give a better explanation I would like to hear it though - seems to be a fair bit of snobbish preference for the approach of certain tailors. Nice if you can afford that, but really an irrelevancy for most of us (sadly). A good fit is far more important.

thanks. but also there seems to be some sort of stigma related to that word here. like some running joke or something.

is it akin to the current 'office pants' phenomenon??

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
There is no stigma. Thee is just FNB's obsession with anything he considers a favorite of his e-enemies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ourduck