• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Don't Know Where My Life is Heading

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
My life sucks right now. Join the club.

rolleyes.gif

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Biscotti
I'm graduating from high school soon, and I have no ambition to make anything of myself; I feel like just working a **** retail job since it seems like I have no chance of doing what I actually want to do.

I want to go to fashion design school, but the price is steep. I got accepted into one of the best in the US, but I have to pay myself. I don't qualify for any scholarships either really. The first year would be $25,000 about. I plan to get residence in the state of the school to qualify for instate tuition; it is in my old hometown, so three siblings live there (free room). I just don't see how I can make payments for loans though.

I just don't look forward to anything right about now; I got moved to backwardsville KY away from my older siblings, away from all my friends I've had for so long. I just see myself going to business school here (the alt to fashion school), being with people I don't care to be with, going on a miserable commute each morning, and just a monotonous life. I don't have interest in business; I miss art so much, as there are not high level classes at the HS I'm at. There is nothing like a good teacher.

I feel so ******* trapped. I feel like I slaved over HS the first few years to make good grades, got moved here, and this last year is like repeating the first semester of of sophomore year.

This isn't a "plz feel srry for me thread" I'm just miserable.

Nor army, no business school, no sucky town; just go to fashion school.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm graduating from high school soon, and I have no ambition to make anything of myself; I feel like just working a **** retail job since it seems like I have no chance of doing what I actually want to do.

I want to go to fashion design school, but the price is steep. I got accepted into one of the best in the US, but I have to pay myself. I don't qualify for any scholarships either really. The first year would be $25,000 about. I plan to get residence in the state of the school to qualify for instate tuition; it is in my old hometown, so three siblings live there (free room). I just don't see how I can make payments for loans though.

I just don't look forward to anything right about now; I got moved to backwardsville KY away from my older siblings, away from all my friends I've had for so long. I just see myself going to business school here (the alt to fashion school), being with people I don't care to be with, going on a miserable commute each morning, and just a monotonous life. I don't have interest in business; I miss art so much, as there are not high level classes at the HS I'm at. There is nothing like a good teacher.

I feel so ******* trapped. I feel like I slaved over HS the first few years to make good grades, got moved here, and this last year is like repeating the first semester of of sophomore year.

This isn't a "plz feel srry for me thread" I'm just miserable.

Take out sallie mae and federal loans. You won't have to repay them until 6 months after graduation. The key would be to parlay your schooling into some sort of job in the industry, that's how you would repay your loans. Of course, it will take you a few decades to do so (unless you become a hit designer) but that's what we regular folks do.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
Yeah, I'm sure you're privy to everything that's going in in my life.
rolleyes.gif

seriously, what could be so hard in your life right now?

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Sorry, I can't abide this kind of narcissistic, pathetic crap. Get over yourself. Go get a job and work your way thru school. 90% of the world's population doesn't get to choose exactly what they do. Many of them are stuck, forever, waking up at dawn and scratching out subsistence lifestyles. You don't have a right to go to fashion school. And even if you did, you wouldn't have a right to make a living at it. Get off your ass, stop feeling sorry for yourself, and go make your own environment. Believe me, if you ever end up being successful in the fashion design world, it sure as hell won't be with your current attitude.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
Sorry, I can't abide this kind of narcissistic, pathetic crap. Get over yourself. Go get a job and work your way thru school. 90% of the world's population doesn't get to choose exactly what they do. Many of them are stuck, forever, waking up at dawn and scratching out subsistence lifestyles. You don't have a right to go to fashion school. And even if you did, you wouldn't have a right to make a living at it. Get off your ass, stop feeling sorry for yourself, and go make your own environment. Believe me, if you ever end up being successful in the fashion design world, it sure as hell won't be with your current attitude.

Why so mean to the fella?

Don't you realize that this new generation were born without any backbone, never had their umbilical cord cut since birth and constantly feed off their parents like a leech, and the only thing they are good at is whine and whine about how unfair the world is?

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
Why so mean to the fella?

Don't you realize that this new generation were born without any backbone, never had their umbilical cord cut since birth and constantly feed off their parents like a leech, and the only thing they are good at is whine and whine about how unfair the world is?

+1

what gets me is when people see how I try to raise my kids and they comment on it - oh, don't you think you are pushing him too much? don't you think you are being too tough on him? sure, but I have no intention of having my kids whine at me about how hard their lives are when they are 20 because they don't want to take out a loan to pay for fashion school.

whle genaration of pussies.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Do what you want to do, dood. Worry about the loans later.

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
go to fashion school! youll be slumming it out with a bunch of hipsters and living like them. youll have an amazing time and get a part time job at a vintage store lol. or you could ask your school about finding a job with them etc. but you should just go the fashion route.

emptym

Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
Do what you want to do, dood. Worry about the loans later.
^+1. Pay attention to your heart's deepest desires. The money will come. But you will need to work.

Threak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Find a job in retail, save some money for a few years, then decide if you want to go to fashion school. If you lose the desire to study fashion while you're working, it only means it was never strong enough in the first place.

If you're living off of loans since day one, chances are you're going to end up working in retail when you graduate anyway, only with $125,000 in debt.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What does the typical graduate of a fashion school do anyway?

Is everyboby trying to become the next Thom Browne? or are they designing stuff for the like of Gap for $40000/year while incurring $150K in school debt?

Biscotti

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks to some of the above posters for the ass kicking; it was much needed I admit.

I'm just going to take out loans. Instate is 8 grand a year, so the last four years will be $32,000 all together; I def don't believe that roughly $60000 is too much for tuition. I do plan to work whilst going through school, and I am working and saving right now. I don't have to worry with rent since my brother will let me sleep in his attic; I plan to sell my car as well since I will be a walk from the school. The main problem is both of my parents are pissed at my choice; I guess I have to start deciding whats best for myself and not take their opinions to heart.

I can not wait, save, and hope that the school will accept me at a later date.

It is a great program, and I will have the opportunity to Co-op with three different companies/designers. I know several people who have gone through it, and they all have decent jobs.

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks to some of the above posters for the ass kicking; it was much needed I admit.

I'm just going to take out loans. Instate is 8 grand a year, so the last four years will be $32,000 all together; I def don't believe that roughly $60000 is too much for tuition. I do plan to work whilst going through school, and I am working and saving right now. I don't have to worry with rent since my brother will let me sleep in his attic; I plan to sell my car as well since I will be a walk from the school. The main problem is both of my parents are pissed at my choice; I guess I have to start deciding whats best for myself and not take their opinions to heart.

I can not wait, save, and hope that the school will accept me at a later date.

It is a great program, and I will have the opportunity to Co-op with three different companies/designers. I know several people who have gone through it, and they all have decent jobs.

what city are you in? either way im sure youll have an amazing time and meet amazing people. thats the thing about going to school for an art. you meet some crazy people and party pretty dam hard.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads