• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Don't Know Where My Life is Heading

Bill Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Biscotti
Thanks to some of the above posters for the ass kicking; it was much needed I admit.

I'm just going to take out loans. Instate is 8 grand a year, so the last four years will be $32,000 all together; I def don't believe that roughly $60000 is too much for tuition. I do plan to work whilst going through school, and I am working and saving right now. I don't have to worry with rent since my brother will let me sleep in his attic; I plan to sell my car as well since I will be a walk from the school. The main problem is both of my parents are pissed at my choice; I guess I have to start deciding whats best for myself and not take their opinions to heart.

I can not wait, save, and hope that the school will accept me at a later date.

It is a great program, and I will have the opportunity to Co-op with three different companies/designers. I know several people who have gone through it, and they all have decent jobs.

Run with it, you only live once.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by West24
what city are you in? either way im sure youll have an amazing time and meet amazing people. thats the thing about going to school for an art. you meet some crazy people and party pretty dam hard.

+1

good luck.

ok, one more shot at devils advocate - why are your parents pissed at you? do they think that you are making a mistake in terms of a career? do they want you closer to home? why do you think?

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
seriously, what could be so hard in your life right now?
I'm not going to get into it on SF. Besides, you would find some way to insult me and call me an entitled P.O.S.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
I'm not going to get into it on SF. Besides, you would find some way to insult me and call me an entitled P.O.S.

why do you think that? what could possibly lead you to believe that? I am hurt and offended.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
why do you think that? what could possibly lead you to believe that? I am hurt and offended.
rolleyes.gif
Your perception of my lifestyle is far from the truth/reality. I realize that your view of "manly" equals being in the military and killing people, but we're not all barbarians and that is certainly not the only definition of a man.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Glad to hear you're taking advice to heart. Good for you for sticking to your guns. Stay dedicated and you will find or create a path to your own happiness.

As to your parents: Remember that most parents just want their kids to be OK. They may be concerned (and rightfully so) that fashion school is a fairly high-risk gamble. No doubt they'd like you to go for more of a sure thing, like engineering.

As you go about convincing them, remain calm and sure of your convictions. Reassure them that you are willing to put in the work to make it work,a nd reassure them that you'll be happy as long as you're working in a field you're passionate about, even if the financial rewards might not be huge at first. Of course, you have to be totally self-assured in these things to begin with, but if your parents see that you're taking the steps towards your own happiness, you're serious about working towards it, and will remain self-sufficient throughout, they'll gradually come around.

Best of luck.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
To the OP: don't underestimate the financial strain student loan debt can put on you.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
rolleyes.gif
Your perception of my lifestyle is far from the truth/reality. I realize that your view of "manly" equals being in the military and killing people, but we're not all barbarians and that is certainly not the only definition of a man.

actually, not at all. my view of "manly" equals being able to solve problems, overcome obsticales, keep calm in crisis, be gentlemanly, stick ot a moral code in difficulties. these are things that one may learn in the military, but are not liimited to the military.

your view of manly? I'm not even sure that you have reached a definition of "manly" at this point in your life.

RyJ Maduro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I realize that your view of "manly" equals being in the military and killing people, but we're not all barbarians and that is certainly not the only definition of a man.

Really?
confused.gif

michaeljkrell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To the OP: don't underestimate the financial strain student loan debt can put on you.

Take it for whatever it is worth, but Colby (my business partner) curses the day he decided to go to fashion school. Now he paid/borrowed $30K a year and stayed for 3 years. My roommate who went to graphic design school who ended up working for Gallup says pretty much the same thing. He had to take out $40K in student loans. The problem is that if you graduate and don't get a job you like, too bad. You have to work to pay it all off and you really have no flexibility.

If you go to design school, don't be in a rush to get it done in 4 years.

If I were I would go and do something like the Peace Corps. L'Arche (communities that take care of intellectually disabled) are all over the world and will give you health insurance, room and board a small stipend. There also an organization of organic farmers where participating farms will give you room and board for your help on the farm. The woman I was talking to about this said that there are lots of farms in France, Germany, Switzerland etc that do this. Something like this would give you the opportunity to see the world and give you time to think about the future without racking up any bills.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
he could always do an apprenticeship under master eric glennie....

that aside, I do second the various suggestions that say 'get and see the world son'. I did that when I was about your age and it changed my life. In my case I won a scholarship to go to the US, slaved ****** off in a bar and delivering pizzas to save up the money to cover the costs that the scholarship didn't. But that is not the only choice, various military options listed upthread...I don't think that is for everyone, but hell, you could just go teach English somewhere....change countries every six months, and head home in two years having lived in four places, grown your world view immeasurably, and returned home to what should be a way-the-hell better economy.

You're 18 dude, the world really is your oyster. The only problem with being 18 is you are too young ad too plagued with insecurities to realise it. We all were.

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The primary handicap of being 18 is not being capable of distancing oneself from experiences to write believable fiction. Here enters creative nonfiction.

Brutus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Biscotti
Thanks to some of the above posters for the ass kicking; it was much needed I admit.

The main problem is both of my parents are pissed at my choice; I guess I have to start deciding whats best for myself and not take their opinions to heart.

I know several people who have gone through it, and they all have decent jobs.

ok, one more shot at devils advocate - why are your parents pissed at you? do they think that you are making a mistake in terms of a career? do they want you closer to home? why do you think?

I was about to say...the dude's 18. He'll soon find out he actually knows nothing about what the world is really like. This isn't to say that he shouldn't go to fashion school but it would probably explain what his parents are thinking. Do whatever but get ready to open up the floodgates of knowledge. Oh and if you think you've figured everything out while in college, wait until you get out and enter the working world. There is some truth in this, I promise. Anyways, with whatever you do...don't worry too much about it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics