• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Don's Footwear

Ale Golem

Reaction score
My fiance wants to save some money on her wedding dress and figured out that if she wears 3.5" heels she won't have to get the dress hemmed. We're both about 5' 5" so this will put her several inches above me and she feels self conscious about the height disparity. The height difference doesn't bother me, who doesn't love a woman in heels, but it does give me an opportunity to kill two birds with one stone by buying a really nice pair of dress shoes and trying out a pair of elevator shoes.
After doing a bit of online window shopping I'm really liking Don's Footwear. They're hand made to your specifications and are a bit pricy but look like they'll last years. Does anyone have any experience with this company?

Last edited:

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
Don's shoes are the bees knees. Though, as is to be expected, said knees are a few inches higher than you'd think.

Ale Golem

Reaction score
The more I look the more I like. I sent them a message this morning asking if hey can do a pair of two tone white/black shoes.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

The more I look the more I like. I sent them a message this morning asking [COLOR=FF00AA]if hey can do a pair of two tone white/black shoes.[/COLOR]

Wait....for your wedding?

Ale Golem

Reaction score
Quote:
Wait....for your wedding?

We're doing an early 20th century theme so they'll fit in. She also likes the idea of us wearing matching shoes and was looking at some two tone heels. I won't be wearing a standard tux as I look awful in jackets; my shoulders are very narrow so jackets make me look a rectangle. I'll be rocking a simple shirt, vest, trouser combo with some suspenders.
We also snagged a pianist and a lounge singer for entertainment.

Last edited:

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Quote:

We're doing an early 20th century theme so they'll fit in. She also likes the idea of us wearing matching shoes and was looking at some two tone heels. I won't be wearing a standard tux as I look awful in jackets; my shoulders are very narrow so jackets make me look a rectangle. I'll be rocking a simple shirt, vest, trouser combo with some suspenders.
We also snagged a pianist and a lounge singer for entertainment.

Wait...standard tux and 2 tone shoes? Matching shoes?
:brick:

Ale Golem

Reaction score
Wait...standard tux and 2 tone shoes? Matching shoes?
baldy[1].gif

No tux, the planned wardrobe is as follows...

Shirt
Vest
Tie
Suspenders
Slacks
Shoes (Waffling between two tone or just classic black)

Last edited:

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

No tux, the planned wardrobe is as follows... Shirt Vest Tie Suspenders Slacks Shoes (Waffling between two tone or just classic black)
Go black. You will be hard pressed to wear those again unless you have the proper wardrobe.

Ale Golem

Reaction score
Go black. You will be hard pressed to wear those again unless you have the proper wardrobe.
Most likely my pragmatic side will win out and I'll go solid black but the little kid inside me just keeps dancing around inside my head singing "fancy shoes fancy shoes fancy shoo-oo-oo-oes".

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Most likely my pragmatic side will win out and I'll go solid black but the little kid inside me just keeps dancing around inside my head singing "fancy shoes fancy shoes fancy shoo-oo-oo-oes".

Fancy shoes? That's stupid.
Come on brah. Don't be "one of those husbands!"

Ale Golem

Reaction score
Fancy shoes? That's stupid.
Come on brah. Don't be "one of those husbands!"
I wear dress shoes much more often than I wear sneakers but I'm used to Dockers and whatnot. It's somewhat counterintuitive but I don't buy expensive shoes because I wear them all the time. Since I can't afford a decent rotation of higher end shoes I don't want to ruin the pair, maybe two, of upper end shoes I could afford by wearing them absolutly every day so I stick to department store brands for now. All this to say that when I say fancy shoes I really mean "substantially better qualilty than I typically treat myself to".

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh hell, get and wear the spectator shoes if that's what gladdens your heart! You are obviously not aspiring to any kind of traditional or classic masculine elegance but rather to a sort of eclectic costuming. I am not dumping on you here. Most men's wedding attire these days is accurately described as "eclectic costuming," so you are very much in step with your peers. Wear the spectators, enjoy them, and I hope you and your bride have a nice life together.

Ale Golem

Reaction score
I ordered a pair of the Polegato with a 3" lift and they arrived today; the weight and feel in the hand is incredible. I've never held a pair of shoes that felt this robust and I couldn't be happier with the construction. The only issue is that I ordered them in patent black leather and they came in brown suede. Luckily I have just under 4 months until the big day. I'm hoping the exchange process is as smooth as the order process.

Edit: I went back through my order emails and it appears I clicked on the wrong material when placing my order. I don't know how I did this as I know I stared at that final screen for about half an hour before placing the order; dumb dumb dummy. Well let's see if they warranty stupidity.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads