• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Domaine Hudson reviewed

rajesh06

Reaction score
I realize that this should probably be another forum, but Cuffthis' restaurant, Domain Hudson, was reviewed in this Sunday's Philadelphia Inquirer (As in many major cities, we get a portion of the Sunday paper on Saturday). There is also a picture of Mr. This - but the quality is poor - so you can't even be sure that he is wearling cufflinks.

The review isn't on the website - but may be there tomorrow - I'll check and post if I remember.

He was awarded two bells - which is actually a pretty good rating from a critic that rarely awards ratings of 3 and 4 bells.

Congratulations - I wish you were around my wife & I were childless and living in Center City. We would definitely have dropped in.

cuffthis

Reaction score
Thanks for the mention. I will post on this later.

PS - I'm glad the photo of me is not in the on-line version of the newspaper. I look about 30 pounds heavier in that photo - yuck!

Stax

Reaction score
Good review. The menu sounds fantastic.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by VersaceMan
The critic seems somewhat of a sarcastic prick, though.

How so?

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tomasso
How so?

Well maybe not a prick, but things like:

"A number of the menu's starters were uninspired. A flatbread with "exotic mushrooms" and crab brought mostly mixed greens, a few errant scraps of crustacean, and a saute of standard-issue fungus over what appeared to be commercial crackers."

"the fig cake with hardly any figs, can be missed."

Perhaps I don't know much about the critiquing industry, or perhaps I was just in a bad mood when I posted my comment
blush.gif

Duveen

Reaction score
V-man - quotes you cite are not rude, just critical. It's his job to warn people away from bad restaurants and, in good restaurants, bad choices. He was a little snotty about Wilmington finally catching up to o-so-sophisticated Philly when it comes to wine bars, and he rode the whole CPA/pain-in-the-neck/April 15 stuff a little hard, but overall he seemed fairly normal (as critics go)

rajesh06

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Duveen
V-man - quotes you cite are not rude, just critical. It's his job to warn people away from bad restaurants and, in good restaurants, bad choices.

He was a little snotty about Wilmington finally catching up to o-so-sophisticated Philly when it comes to wine bars, and he rode the whole CPA/pain-in-the-neck/April 15 stuff a little hard, but overall he seemed fairly normal (as critics go)

The guy has a James Beard award for national critic of the year from a few years ago. He tends to be very critical and rarely awards more than 2 bells. He often awards one bell - so I think that overall the Domaine Hudson review should be considered positive.

cuffthis

Reaction score
A critic's job is to criticize. I am not offended by anything he wrote. He is entitled to his opinion. I value his input as I do for all of my customers. I welcome everyone's feedback, be it good, bad or indifferent.

I will say that, since we opened, the exotic mushroom dish has been one of our best sellers and we not had a single complaint about it, except for the words the food critic used. In fact, we have received a ton of compliments on it.

We also have never had a complaint about our European Chicken.

The bottom line? I created Domaine Hudson as a place I would want to go to for great, affordable wine, creative, reasonably priced food, all in a casually elegant, non pretentious atmosphere. We have achieved that. The crowds we have here everynight affirm that.

I simply refuse to waiver in the wind and do what is the most popular at the moment. I stand behind who I am, what I do and why I do it. I can't stand people, especially politicians, who make decisions based on polls. Believe in what you do and stand by your decisions.

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, was the neck surgery for an injury that was the result of wearing ties with alarming frequency?
smile.gif

cuffthis

Reaction score
I believe it was caused by polishing all those cufflinks......................

Originally Posted by MrDaniels
So, was the neck surgery for an injury that was the result of wearing ties with alarming frequency?
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 102 36.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads