• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does B&S seem slow to you lately?

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I should expand on that. Starting this year sellers making more than $20,000 through paypal will be reported to the IRS. The small time sellers and foreigners are still selling great stuff at great prices, but the domestic big time B&S sellers look to have all given up.
frown.gif

Edit- Here you go:
https://cms.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/ma..._us%2FIRS6050W

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by deveandepot1
I should expand on that. Starting this year sellers making more than $20,000 through paypal will be reported to the IRS. The small time sellers and foreigners are still selling great stuff at great prices, but the domestic big time B&S sellers look to have all given up.
frown.gif

Edit- Here you go:

No ****... Im still filling out paperwork
ffffuuuu.gif
but once its done, look for a nice thread! (NY residents will pay sales tax though, unfortunately...
frown.gif
)

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
But even then - as long as you have good stuff at fair prices, someone is ALWAYS keeping an eye. Trust me.
wink.gif

Spoo dizzle - what's your size again?

SpooPoker

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chasingred
I have a feeling this is going to include some pretty epic tie deals.
You would be correct. I think I have 25 or so ready to go. Shoes and shirts too.

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did some searching... At this time last year there were a lot of great deals. John Lobbs for $225, a bunch of Barker Black shoes, <$150 Allen Edmonds,... It looks like a lot of stuff from NMLC and Nordstrom Rack.

Edit- There was also the $20 Costco shoe tree sales, a lot of BBBF, people buying and selling The Rake magazine,... Though, not much Tom Ford or Mabitex.

KenRose

Reaction score
Paypal absolutely ***** foreigners. Really discourages sales actually. Almost 10% in currency exchange on both sides.
frown.gif

Edit- Here you go:

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Retail stores currently have loads of stuff at 60-75% off, with the advantages of the store's return policy, the ability to try on and the ability to locate additional sizes and colors. Kind of hard to compete with. Why buy someone's used suit for 85% off retail when a department store has it brand new for 75% off.

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TimelesStyle
Retail stores currently have loads of stuff at 60-75% off, with the advantages of the store's return policy, the ability to try on and the ability to locate additional sizes and colors. Kind of hard to compete with. Why buy someone's used suit for 85% off retail when a department store has it brand new for 75% off.

FWIW the sales at B&M stores usually increases the amount of product on the B&S.

shopaholism

Reaction score
frown.gif

Edit- Here you go:

hmmmm. I guess that doesn't affect me since I don't make anywhere near that much (though I probably approach or exceed 200 transactions a year, as they say), and I've always reported my income from online sales. Is this saying that they'll require you to charge sales tax to buyers? If so, they may end up with a lot of sellers who are charging tax illegally (aka without a tax collection license--if someone says that you must pay tax because you're in ___ state, you might want to ask to see their tax ID first!)

SpooPoker

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shopaholism
hmmmm. I guess that doesn't affect me since I don't make anywhere near that much (though I probably approach or exceed 200 transactions a year, as they say), and I've always reported my income from online sales. Is this saying that they'll require you to charge sales tax to buyers? If so, they may end up with a lot of sellers who are charging tax illegally (aka without a tax collection license--if someone says that you must pay tax because you're in ___ state, you might want to ask to see their tax ID first!)

Yep, still filling out ppw....
ffffuuuu.gif

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe this internet thing is getting old. So 2000s

Seriously compared to the good old days that I remember, one thing that has been missing has been the good samaritans, e.g. the forumites who lug home a dozen pairs of BB boots (on the subway) to make $20/pair. And the epic threads of edmorel. Maybe the forum has outgrown that kind of thing. Errybody's going into business and trying to make enough to file tax returns.

That and maybe the starting prices have been too high.

Also way too many worn shoes for crazy prices. I remember when used Aldens started at $90, not so long ago. How is it that used clothing is worth 15% of retail but these days, used shoes are somehow worth 85% of retail. I don't find used shoes creepy, but the cork soles break in very quickly, and why anyone would pay hundreds for used ... I don't see the value there.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads