• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does Anyone Want To Talk About Style Anymore?

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I dont know what this thread is about anymore. I feel like we are wading off topic.

I'm concerned we wont find our way back and discover whether anyone wants to talk about style anymore. This is making me tense. I feel let down by this thread, and the fact that I am not getting my needs met is making me feel inadequate.

I dont want to seem needy right now, but if the forum would circle around me and give me a boost we might come out the other side knowing whether anyone wants to talk about style anymore.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pejsek
Just checking. It is a rich and varied topic--or so it seems to me. Has everything already all been said? I mean, I know there's truly nothing new under the sun, but, really, commentary on the eternal is endless. Isn't there more to all this than just technical exchange about deals, minutiae of shoe fit, what to wear to a _______? We all get dressed almost every day and it does mean something (at least as much as anything). These days everytime I glance at MC it's all I can do to navigate away before I fall asleep.

And, no, there won't be a poll.

Originally Posted by RJman
Most of us have gone insane/gone to ground/turned into perverts because of 4chan.

You two are the epitome of style. And I say that sincerely. pejsek with a "carefully selected" wardrobe that would rival the Duke of Windsor's. And RJman with his Delos shoes and Savile Row suits.

Really two of my favorite posters.

After much thought, I've realized that I'm a slob! I care about style but not enough to follow trends nor value style over comfort.

A well known tailor and SF member told me a story about one of his favorite clients ( who is a friend of mine ). He cares more about comfort and "room to let it out if necessary" more than "style". I've reached that point.

It also suits what I'm now doing. I love the idea of UTR ( under the radar ). I would rather drive an old shitbox than a Duesenberg and I'd rather wear something comfortable and nondescript than a Vicuna garment.

I've accumulated a large amount of stuff I don't need over the years and I think I'm going to pare it down to only the essentials.

Some of the people I've admired the most and look to as role models were not stylish people.

RedLionRoars

Reaction score
Style: I have come to appreciate the individualist eccentric approach, either out there or subtle. I like to view the "on the street" videos in NY Times. Make your own style. Know the rules and break the rules. Be serious and have fun. Just don't be a clone or drone.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Here's a link to one of them, and it links to a couple more.
Thanks, Doc, for making it clear. Have fun ya'll.

MKB

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Svenn
1)They'd be ok I guess if they were funny or insightful, but it's usually just crap...

2)If Styleforum really wanted to crack down on them, I would recommend that there be a "minimum character" requirement for all posts- say 5 sentences, that would really filter out the junk.

1) Sooooo, which one is this?
2) +1 on filtering out the junk.

MKB

Reaction score
Originally Posted by idfnl
I dont know what this thread is about anymore. I feel like we are wading off topic.

I'm concerned we wont find our way back and discover whether anyone wants to talk about style anymore. This is making me tense. I feel let down by this thread, and the fact that I am not getting my needs met is making me feel inadequate.

I dont want to seem needy right now, but if the forum would circle around me and give me a boost we might come out the other side knowing whether anyone wants to talk about style anymore.

Group hug!

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr T
Doc beat me to it. Damn quick-draw.
To be alive in Tombstone ... one would have to be quick on the draw.

PTWilliams

Reaction score
I will talk about style.
I am always pleased when I read in this forum that one should find their own style and pursue it.
When I ride my 53 Bentley down the road, I get lots of thumbs up. It is not about how cool I look in the Bentley, rather it is about how I made someone's day by their seeing the Bentley. I get the same feeling when I see a neat car, be it modern or vintage. In the same way I believe that style can bring pleasure to other people. Seeing a woman in a pretty dress (quite the exception these days) or a man well dressed provides others pleasure. Dressing well is an art form in itself. If you do exactly what everyone else is doing its not very interesting, being different for the sake of being different is also not very interesting, and often fails.
Today I purchased on Ebay a Pendleton indian blanket vest (item 330384905781) and a Holland & Holland pair of breeks (item 190356374157). Yesterday I purchased a SHERLOCK HOLMES TWEED INVERNESS CAPE (item 290378551435). Each item, at one time, were in style, and the challenge will be to incorporate them into my style and project an interesting persona and not just down right weird. I believe that the trick is to project traditional style in all items save one. I also have a closet full of custom made Hermes pants, shirts, and suits, so I can pull off well-dressed traditional pretty well.
So for me fashion and style is really this artistic pursuit of making the environment I step into a more attractive and interest place, while putting up with SF ridicule. I take what I need from SF, however, so I have no complaint.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Style forum is always a lesser problem than ourselves .

It is a microcosm , a mirror of our souls like in the Plato Cavern , we 're free to interpret the shadows on the walls.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rnoldh
After much thought, I've realized that I'm a slob! I care about style but not enough to follow trends nor value style over comfort.

A well known tailor and SF member told me a story about one of his favorite clients ( who is a friend of mine ). He cares more about comfort and "room to let it out if necessary" more than "style". I've reached that point.

It also suits what I'm now doing. I love the idea of UTR ( under the radar ). I would rather drive an old shitbox than a Duesenberg and I'd rather wear something comfortable and nondescript than a Vicuna garment.

I've accumulated a large amount of stuff I don't need over the years and I think I'm going to pare it down to only the essentials.

Some of the people I've admired the most and look to as role models were not stylish people.

i like that.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lasbar
Style forum is always a lesser problem than ourselves .

It is a microcosm , a mirror of our souls like in the Plato Cavern , we 're free to interpret the shadows on the walls.

Especially the shadows that are created when one is in the spotlight under stress.

Acephale

Reaction score
Originally Posted by PTWilliams
... rather it is about how I made someone's day by their seeing the Bentley. I get the same feeling when I see a neat car, be it modern or vintage. In the same way I believe that style can bring pleasure to other people. Seeing a woman in a pretty dress (quite the exception these days) or a man well dressed provides others pleasure...

Yes, yes.

I smiled the other day as a wrong colored gold Bentley pulled around the corner and stopped in the middle of the road causing quite a traffic jam on the main road (as a bus attempting to navigate the turn was directly behind) and subsequent honking of horns as the elderly lady passenger exited the vehicle walked around the front of the Bentley opened the drivers side rear door to collect her bag and then sauntered off without a glance at the commotion caused. Wonderful sense of entitlement not often seen these days.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads