• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does Anyone Still Wear Square-Toed Shoes?

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
I can guarantee you that the member that vote no were not voting no on chiselled or squared-off toes. They're talking about hideous shoes put out by the likes of KC, aldo, and every other crappy shoe manufacturer. The 888 is one of the most perfect RTW lasts ever made.
I agree with GQGeek. The question on the poll was a little vague. I have these:
loding8qr.jpg
Oh, and I would definitely buy C&J on the 337 last if I had the cash for them
smile.gif

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arethusa
Then explain the popularity of pointy triangle toed shoes on women.

It generally makes the foot look more delicate (and probably involves squeezing a foot into an unhealthily small shoe). The extreme square is masculine in an ugly way, while the pointy triangle is feminine. Extreme masculine generally is considered ugly, but extreme feminine isn't.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mind them for dress shoes, don't mind them too much for sneakers. But then, I almost never wear sneakers.

neyus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mussel
Square toe whole cut from Borrelli:

e53dm6.jpg

613gm0.jpg

I dont think a square toe suits a whole cut shoe. Those shoes are not refined enough for my taste. But I think you can have a squarer toe on a captoe shoe (of course not too the proportions of duckbill ken cole), as long as it has a slender waist you can still have an elegant shoe.

sloaney

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dragon
These are what I consider typical square toe shoes (an example taken from my own closet):

Attachment 2185

Do I still wear them? Hell No.
lol8[1].gif

i am just curious, for people who do like them and do wear them, what do they find attractive about the shoes?

neyus

Reaction score
I think people wear them because of the supply out there and because there are alot of people out there who still wear them. So they think it is a perfectly acceptable look.

About 10 years ago, when I first saw them, I liked them. There was something different about them, and so I wore them because I wanted to be different. But at that time I did not have the means to afford better looking/quality shoes, let alone know what one was.

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I like chisel toe shoes. One of my favourite pair of boots bought pre-SF is a pair of Berwin and Berwin ankle boots, with long toe ending in a chisel, semibrouging, snug fit around the ankles. It's construction is most likely shoddy and soles are most likely glued on but it looks good to me and is comfy to wear.

By coincidence, it was turn of my Ferragamo studio bit loafers (yes, I know) in the attempt to 'rotate', whilst they're not the Kenneth Cole type big flat square toes, they're fairly broad at the toe, and to me they seem odd. This and a pair of Gordon Scott boots are finding it difficult to stay in the rotation. I keep telling myself that I'll keep them for more 'casual' wear...

Oh, +1 for EG888s

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sloaney
i am just curious, for people who do like them and do wear them, what do they find attractive about the shoes?

All of the designer brands carried square toed shoes, and they were considered very modern/cool. Edward Greens (for example) don`t look so good with a Gucci suit
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads