• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do young women prefer casual looks over dress looks?

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, to summarize everything, young women generally like the casual look, but they don't know any better?

babygreenspots

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Most women I've known like men who are stylish but not either fussy or oldmanish (unless one actually is an old man). Looking distinctive or sometimes even eccentric is not so much the problem as looking a bit square.

Dressing in a suit is fine if you look sharp rather than stuffy. And yes, definitions of what is acceptable do change with fashion. At the moment, wearing a suit that suggests mad men and an interesting slimmer tie would probably be a good look for impressing all but the most uninformed and provinical girls. Unless you are over forty, a double-breasted Brioni suit with serious shoulder padding and pleated trousers matched with a fat Hermes tie and expensive black captoes will be less effective.

That said, wearing any suit at college is risky. A slim, good-looking guy who has the sophistication to back it up, could probably get away with the slim suit described above. The other issue is that in upping the level of formality with a suit or even nice sport coat, attention is automatically attracted. The look has to be done well or it fails. The typical "suit guy" at college rarely has the money or knowledge to actually make the look work.

x26

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Would you be more interested in a woman who dressed in stylish, youthful clothes, or one who wore full-length dresses and old-lady blouses buttoned up to her neck? Which one do you think would be more fun to hang out with?

Beyond that, would you want to hang out with that dude who insists on wearing a tie and carrying a briefcase to class?

Think of your target audience, then go for the look most likely to attract it.

Accurate and Timeless advice, Doc...

youngScholar

Reaction score
I believe a woman is looking primarily for a guy who is sane and stable, thus one should dress within range of the norm. If the norm says casual, then dress casual. Being "the suit guy," outside of special events, will usually put a guy too outside the norm, thus making him look potentially harmful. Unless your job requires it, walking around in a suit all day -as a student - is likely to shock people, and do so in a bad way.

This does not mean that one should completely mute one's own style, just know what the boundaries are given the situation. A well-fitted jacket with equally well-fitted shirts and jeans along with good shoes really shouldn't be too outside the norm. Assuming the majority of guys on campus dress like slobs/douchebags, the above outfit should qualify as a good shock, something high quality and refreshing.

And always make sure you have a good reply when a girl asks why you are dressed the way you are.
satisfied.gif

My $0.02.

StopPolloition

Reaction score
I was "the suit guy" in college, and looking back on it, I probably should have just worn jeans. I also probably didn't have the knowledge and style to really pull it off successfully. I'm trying to remember the suits I wore the most in college... probably a Jos. A Bank. I think I had a couple Tom James suits I thrifted, also a crappy Jones NY (the fabric pilled a lot). Girls responded to it positively sometimes, it usually involved tugging on my pocket square which annoyed me infinitely. Wish I had saved the money I spent buying crappy suits and instead bought nice shoes and a pair or two of nice denim.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by youngScholar
I believe a woman is looking primarily for a guy who is sane and stable, thus one should dress within range of the norm. If the norm says casual, then dress casual. Being "the suit guy," outside of special events, will usually put a guy too outside the norm, thus making him look potentially harmful. Unless your job requires it, walking around in a suit all day -as a student - is likely to shock people, and do so in a bad way.

This does not mean that one should completely mute one's own style, just know what the boundaries are given the situation. A well-fitted jacket with equally well-fitted shirts and jeans along with good shoes really shouldn't be too outside the norm. Assuming the majority of guys on campus dress like slobs/douchebags, the above outfit should qualify as a good shock, something high quality and refreshing.

And always make sure you have a good reply when a girl asks why you are dressed the way you are.
satisfied.gif

My $0.02.

No. If you have to be billingual for a job this is gonna be a yes/no question and the "no" will be discarded, however that's not how you'll choose the candidate and not even a primary worry. And that's aside from the fact that some characteristics that are attractive to some may somewhat go against these two.

anon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JAlfredPrufrock
I don't have many. I don't have a camera, so all my pictures are from someone else.

This is the best example I have, and it isn't ideal, but if gives you a sense of what I'm getting at. (I've never posted a photo before, so bear with me)

that's a really good look for being well-dressed but still within the college norm. the tie might not have gone over too well at my college, but you wouldn't have been out of place like if you were wearing a suit.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by babygreenspots
Most women I've known like men who are stylish but not either fussy or oldmanish (unless one actually is an old man). Looking distinctive or sometimes even eccentric is not so much the problem as looking a bit square.

Dressing in a suit is fine if you look sharp rather than stuffy. And yes, definitions of what is acceptable do change with fashion. At the moment, wearing a suit that suggests mad men and an interesting slimmer tie would probably be a good look for impressing all but the most uninformed and provinical girls. Unless you are over forty, a double-breasted Brioni suit with serious shoulder padding and pleated trousers matched with a fat Hermes tie and expensive black captoes will be less effective.

There are a lot of clothes/shoes that are for younger people and a lot of (good-quality) clothes/shoes that are classic but also stodgy. The key is to find a happy medium between the two (and not look stodgy).

Interface

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Smartalox
I agree with Tez:

The casual look is best, but (in my experience, for example) I classed it up by maintaining a certain standard for footwear, as in the only time that I ever wore running shoes or sneakers was when I was running, or playing sports. Good shoes with casual clothes - women notice good shoes - will do more to elevate you from the pack, than a good suit with crappy shoes.

Conversely, a good suit with sneakers might get you a date with the chubby alterna-chick, but if you're after more than the adrenaline thrill of surviving a ******** from a mouth full of jewelry, pair a casual look with good fits, good quality, and good shoes. When things get ripped or ratty, replace them (use to old stuff for home/auto/motorcycle repairs) to show another side of yoruself.

But clothes will only take you so far. If you really want to get laid, you have to understand this: women (particularly college age women) are ridiculously insecure. They're constantly being graded by the system, being told they are too fat or too ugly by their fashion mags, and competing with their peers for the attentions of fatuous mall-dressers who think they're god's gift to warthogs.

Be different. Good clothes will give you a basic level of confidence, but you can get more, by givign it to others: make eye contact. When you do, smile. Chat up the ones that smile back. Ask them about their studies, know enough to answer "Oh is that where they do..." to whatever they say. It doesn't matter if you're way off base, though it helps to be witty, and not blatantly ignorant or offensive. When they explain things to you, be impressed with their knowledge of the topic. Tell them this, make them feel good about themselves. Work the conversation casually, like you're fascinated to learn what they're about. Remember names and when you can, get a number. Try this with every woman you meet, even if it's just for practice. It gets easier, and more natural every time you do it, and you'll boost your own confidence in the mean time.

I wish I knew this back when I was in University.

When women talk about you, (and they will) the term that they'll use to identify you will be "the one with the great shoes".

Nice one.

And of course many, many, other nice and useful comments too.

Thanks everyone. Appreciated.

I've (almost) decided to change styles and go casual from now on. I'm dumping this "suit everyday" and smoking cigars idea. It's a bad idea. I think casual and healthy, and keeping up with the times, is better now.

But tell me, by nice boots, do you mean black leather boots or just good looking sneakers? I think sneakers are more the way to go with casual clothes, isn't it? I mean, those dress looking leather shoes seem more to be worn with dress pants and shirts. Have any photos of shoes that are good looking in your opinion Smartalox?

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
While there are decent sneakers, in general they won't stand out and will nake you look like a "boy". I recommend loafers, chelseas, chukka or wingtips with casualwear. That shows you put some thought into your shoes and these willb get noticed. Brown shoes are more versatile and less boring than black ones. Throw in a pair of burgundy shoes and you are set for 90% of all casual occasions.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Excuse the typos above. I am on my Blackberry.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You don't need to dress like this douche, but you can certainly combine styles, or change from day to day.

17Again.jpg

youngScholar

Reaction score
Originally Posted by unjung
You don't need to dress like this douche, but you can certainly combine styles, or change from day to day.

17Again.jpg

frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sator
Jan, aren't you a bit old to be participating in this thread? Or are you trying to get tips on how to pick up 25 year old chicks?

Oh, I am just curious about many things--just my nature. These days, even if I could "score" with a 25-year-old, I fear I would leave her sadly unsatisfied. Actually, the same probably would hold true of a woman of any age!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads