• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do young women prefer casual looks over dress looks?

Lendial

Reaction score
compiling from my own experience and some good previous replies: 3 - dont look like the random slob , be a little more classy. dark sweaters, nice shirts underneath, nice dark jeans, nice shoes etc. def no ties and no suit jackets. most important is that they fit you well. avoid brand logos larger than a tiny croc/pony/etc on the left chest or jean back pocket. 1 - average is very non threatening and approachable , nothing wrong with the t shirt and overly baggy jeans +north face jacket, in fact its what 80% of guys wear here at UW
smile.gif
2 - dont wear suits and ties unless its for a job interview or on capmus semi formal event 10% of people will appreciate the look the rest will simply wonder why you look like that.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lendial
compiling from my own experience and some good previous replies:

3 - dont look like the random slob , be a little more classy. dark sweaters, nice shirts underneath, nice dark jeans, nice shoes etc. def no ties and no suit jackets. most important is that they fit you well. avoid brand logos larger than a tiny croc/pony/etc on the left chest or jean back pocket.
1 - average is very non threatening and approachable , nothing wrong with the t shirt and overly baggy jeans +north face jacket, in fact its what 80% of guys wear here at UW
smile.gif

2 - dont wear suits and ties unless its for a job interview or on capmus semi formal event 10% of people will appreciate the look the rest will simply wonder why you look like that.

Great advice. I have found this to be true as well. Looking good using simple, classic pieces beats try-hard any day.

MrNick

Reaction score
I wear a tux to class everyday. Why won't women talk to me?

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You should have went with the shawl instead of the notch collar.

John_Edward

Reaction score
It depends entirely on the type of woman. A truly attractive and well-dressed man is nearly universally desireable. A musclar guy with confidence can have a frightful measure of success with most women, granted he's got ideas and can speak sufficiently well. The skinny artistic guy who may be dressed well's not going to appeal to most soriety girls.

Dress for the occassion and a bit for the audience. No point in seeming a pratt with a pinstripe suit at the beach.

Do keep in mind that a bit of thought and attention'll almost certainly yield better results than the lazy slob.

munchausen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lasbar
Women are full of contradictions and paradoxs...They want a dangerous rebel who is responsible, reliable, loving and affectionate...
The same will apply to clothing..
They do love a man who takes care of himself ,wears lovely clothes but in the same time knows how to be casual...
They also resent very elegant men because they attract more attention than them..

I think it's more accurate that they want a badass rebel who they can turn into a reliable, affectionate and loving man with the power of their own female perfection. Men aren't the only ones who use the opposite sex as a way of feeding our own egos.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by munchausen
IMen aren't the only ones who use the opposite sex as a way of feeding our own egos.

Yes, but women do it (successfully) much more often and in more subtle ways.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lendial
compiling from my own experience and some good previous replies:

3 - dont look like the random slob , be a little more classy. dark sweaters, nice shirts underneath, nice dark jeans, nice shoes etc. def no ties and no suit jackets. most important is that they fit you well. avoid brand logos larger than a tiny croc/pony/etc on the left chest or jean back pocket.
1 - average is very non threatening and approachable , nothing wrong with the t shirt and overly baggy jeans +north face jacket, in fact its what 80% of guys wear here at UW
smile.gif

This.

I live in a hipster neighborhood in LA.
All I see is dudes in jeans that look like leggings and full beards.

I miss normal looking guys.

tc6

Reaction score
I go to Rutgers in NJ. You pretty much see every different type of clothing stereotypes here. There's guidos, guys with baggy jeans and timbs, preps, etc, and the guys who try to mix everything together but fail miserably.

I recently gave myself a kind of makeover using advice from here, and other sources(recently lost quite a bit of weight and am in need of a new wardrobe). I went out and bought a few pairs of Gap authentic fit jeans(resin wash and medium wash), a few half zip up and v neck sweaters, and a few button ups. I've been wearing all white Adidas campus sneakers or brown loafers from Topman UK.

I've been getting a lot of compliments lately, many from girls. I feel confident in what I've been wearing and the fitting of the clothes is near perfect. I've realized that looking put together and having a sort of confident presence helps ALOT. I'm 5'6" and a little bit overweight and decent looking, so it's not like my body type or face. is helping.

We have quite a few suits, mainly because a lot of Business school students come to class from work or internships( I go to the Newark campus), and most of them don't get paid any attention, because they look like crap in crappy fitting suits.

You have to find a style that suits your personality and makes you feel good. I don't know if you noticed, but guys who are confident and carry themselves well because of it tend to look good in whatever they're wearing(not always the case). And remember this also, some of your guy friends are gonna make of you, but don't pay any attention to them, it's the girls' opinion that matters to you.

If a good appearance gives you confidence then dress well all the time, your confidence comes out thru body language and people notice this first. Confidence makes you more approachable, and a better talker. This is coming from a guy that came to the forum 2 months ago trying to find ways to become more confidence. A lot of the advice here actually helps, especially because some of the guys on here went through the same stuff with no guidance which allows them to give great guidance now.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
College girls are just one set of girls, and they love casual especially if its done with a little style.

The ones i work with who are just out of school, well they live for casual friday and harp on me for not wearing t-shirts and jeans.

Everyone's frame of mine changes as they mature, so I think the best you can do is to look situation appropriate. Overdressing is trying to hard, under dressing shows a lack of social intuition.

westinghouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Women tell me the only accessories a man should have are his muscles.

More are more visual than women. Dressing nicely is more likely to attract the attention of other men rather than women.

Women do not really care about how a man dresses. A man's duty is to protect and provide.

Lift weights and get a better paying job if you want to attract more women.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you've never met a real women before.

Provide? How do you think most figure that one out? A credit score?

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nicola
Sounds like you've never met a real women before. Provide? How do you think most figure that one out? A credit score?
It's all in the bling. Personally speaking, I find that a diamond-encrusted dollar sign medallion on a platinum chain never fails to get the ladies back to my hot tub (which is also shaped like a dollar sign). When and if the dollar collapses, I may have to reconfigure the hot tub in the shape of a euro. But I'm big time enough to afford such a re-conceptualization, obviously. You can tell because I wear the aforementioned medallion. EDIT: T-minus 3 minutes until someone takes this literally, and I'm forced to facepalm again. Wait for it...

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arrogant Bastard
It's all in the bling. Personally speaking, I find that a diamond-encrusted dollar sign medallion on a platinum chain never fails to get the ladies back to my hot tub (which is also shaped like a dollar sign).

When and if the dollar collapses, I may have to reconfigure the hot tub in the shape of a euro. But I'm big time enough to afford such a re-conceptualization, obviously. You can tell because I wear the aforementioned medallion.

Then when the Euro collapses you'll have to reconfigure the hot tub in the shape of a Yuan. But you are a big timer...
bigstar[1].gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads