• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you use lots of olive oil?

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Love olive oil. It's the main lipid I use. Only time I use butter or anything is in baking or in finishing a sauce. Sometimes I use bacon lardons as a garnish so I'll use the bacon fat to cook with, but olive oil is awesome. Use it in everything.

Lipid? Lardon? Are you a elitist or what? Around here, we call 'em oil and fat.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
Lipid? Lardon? Are you a elitist or what? Around here, we call 'em oil and fat.

Elitist? Psssh. I'm eating Domino's and didn't know what fwah grah was until a few short months ago.
I'm a man of the people.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I was just talking to my friend who's been living in Pamplona for almost 20 years. His biggest complaint was Chinese food there, and in most parts of Europe are cooked with olive oil. WTF??!!!!

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidicboy
I was just talking to my friend who's been living in Pamplona for almost 20 years. His biggest complaint was Chinese food there, and in most parts of Europe are cooked with olive oil. WTF??!!!!

That's just plain wrong.

PARTY

Reaction score
That actually sounds horrendous. Who wants Chinese food with an Italian kick?

chas

Reaction score
Originally Posted by montecristo#4
Problem with olive oil is that it isn't good for cooking at real high temps.

sly.gif
If you use a combination of olive oil and canola oil you can raise the smoking point while retaining the flavor of the olive oil.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chas
sly.gif
If you use a combination of olive oil and canola oil you can raise the smoking point while retaining the flavor of the olive oil.

It's all the impurities/raw stuff that makes the olive oil (espeically virgin/first press) the healthy stuff that it is, amongst other factors...
EVOO has a low smoke point becuase of all that stuff and generally isn't good for cooking at high temperatures with, you're better off deep frying or high heat seering with a cleaner oil like vegitable, canola, or grapeseed if you're hardcore. The dark green bottle protects it from sunlight which would cause that stuff to rot (often also means it's imported), so oils from clear containers are better for high temperatures.

I reserve my EVOO for basic sauteying and the good stuff for pouring over stuff to finish it off.

TheIdler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
Originally Posted by Connemara
Thanks. I eat a lot, but I refuse to eat garbage. Buying organic and natural isn't cheap but food is important to me.
Do I really need to link back to your bacon thread?

Seriously. And I guess Betty Crocker Mini Warm Delights was just a euphemism?

Anyway, my gf and I go through a liter of olive oil in about five days. And that's not counting the six or seven specialty ones we have on hand for certain dishes. I remember coming to Spain and being disgusted at how everything seemed to be swimming in it. Now we make ice cream with it.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
is it fact or myth that cooking (frying) in extra virgin olive oil actually destroys any health benefits of it?

It's true. Do not use olive for high temperature cooking like frying.

Doral

Reaction score
I use olive oil a lot for cooking. Here is a great recipe for Greek Salad. Quick and easy. The ladies love this. My e-wife was from Greece and this is all I got out of the divorce.

- Feta, Athens Traditional Chunk Cheese
- Bertolli Classico Olive Oil
- Pompeian Balsamic Vinegar
- Kalamata Black Olives
- Tomatoes
- Green Bell Pepper
- Cucumber
- Onion
- Oregano
- Salt

In a large bowl:
1. Chop and quarter one (1) medium tomato
2. Chop and quarter one/half (1/2) of a cucumber
3. Chop up one quarter of a green bell pepper
4. Using a cherry pitter, remove the pit from a few (5-6) olives and chop in half
5. Chop and add onions
6. Slice a piece of the feta cheese and chop up in the salad
7. Drizzle with olive oil
8. Add salt to taste
9. Add oregano to taste
10. Drizzle with balsamic vinegar
10. Toss together and enjoy. Grilled chicken can be added if you like.
I typically use one (1) medium tomato and one half (1/2) of a cucumber per person.

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1 Bag of Cole Slaw (Dole or whatever)
1/2 Cup Olive Oil
1/4 Vinegar
1/3 Sugar
1 Tablespoon Soy Sauce

Bring to low boil until sugar is melted, pour over the cole slaw, garnish with some toasted almond for crunch and some crushed black pepper for balance and enjoy

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Right. That's why I'm trying to make the move from EVOO to grapeseed and coconut oils.

Originally Posted by montecristo#4
Problem with olive oil is that it isn't good for cooking at real high temps.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads