• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you have to button your jacket when you're not sitting?

lpalma121

Reaction score
I prefer not to button the jacket , I don't know if this goes against some cardinal rule but it's my preference. It looks good on some people but on me it makes me seem uptight. Like I'm trying very hard to look important or something. I think it looks cooler unbuttoned IMo.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The only time where an unbuttoned jacket would be acceptable is while seated, particularily while eating.
Although, a jacket should be buttoned whilst riding a horse. Any other time (standing) a jacket should be buttoned.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If the coat is part of a suit, I button it when I'm standing. If it's a sport coat ... I often don't.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Button when slightly windy or chilly, unbutton when slightly warmer. Take the jacket off when feeling hot.

It sort of defies logic, I know.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
SB or DB?

You're supposed to button it standing.

If it makes you uncomfortable then it will show. Looking uncomfortable ends up worse then breaking the rules.

Agatha Crusty

Reaction score
No-one can force you to button it and it's ultimately up to you. However... your jacket was cut and designed to be buttoned and probably looks best with a button fastened most of the time when you're on the move.

But if you think it looks good, then rules be damned.

dbc

Reaction score
Yes.

I blame Don Draper.

jonc

Reaction score
I'm sure someone else would post the same thing if I didn't.

Jacket should be buttoned at all times when standing. Never button the bottom button. In a three button suit you can also just button the middle button.
So the buttons should be buttoned:

(Sometimes)
Always
Never

(with sometimes removed in a two button)

When sitting, jacket should generally be unbuttoned.

stinsonbass

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dbc
Yes. I blame Don Draper.
laugh.gif
Nice one. I always button my jacket when I am standing as well (obviously) I unbutton it only if I am eating/sitting but that also depends on how formal the event is. Sometimes in a meeting you don't want to unbutton your jacket if no one else does
deadhorse-a.gif
amd_obama_dinner.jpg

Achillus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I do both, it depends on the lunch i just had
laugh.gif

cretaceous_cretin

Reaction score
I believe I recall that on a 3-button if only one button is closed, it should be the middle button.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
As some are insisting on correctness, it's NOT a jacket ... it's a coat.

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

As some are insisting on correctness, it's NOT a jacket ... it's a coat.

Please educate me in this matter of pedantry. I always though the main difference between a coat and a jacket was length, and thus the proper term was suit jacket. Examples: dinner jacket, hacking jacket, mess jacket; dress coat, morning coat, frock coat, overcoat. (The obvious exception is sport coat, but I've also heard sport jacket used.)

dep126

Reaction score
I don't, but when wearing a suit or sportcoat I am carrying a firearm and need quick access. I'm guessing my situation does not apply to most on here, however.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zeeandthelostboys