Disgusted by Nordstrom Rack and Saks Off 5th

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by repressedm, Jul 27, 2008.

1. repressedm

repressedm Senior member

...for selling ugly jeans and ed hardy t-shirts.

2. jkennett

jkennett Senior member

east coast to west and back to east. currently res
    yeah... they've made it to the discounters b/c noone is buying them at the mainline stores... good sign actually, since that means they're dying out.

3. erdawe

erdawe Senior member

but them shit iz hot.

4. deejaysoy

deejaysoy Senior member

haha... I can't wait till the Affliction hits the rack. Yeah, Nordstrom tailors to the DB Clubbie Crowd

5. Bam!ChairDance

Bam!ChairDance Senior member

Yes, Off 5th is miserable. I make a stop there every time I set foot in my local outlet mall, and every time I'm greeted with the same gallery of ugly ugly clothes. Their suiting section is OK, with a moderate selection of fused Burberry, Boss, and Hickey, but there is not a single piece of streetwear that I would even give a first look. It is sometimes fun, though, to see the brands try to outdo each other's garish emblazoning like a shouting contest between drunken morons.

The Barneys outlet, on the other hand, is a few notches better. Even with the smaller footprint of space that the mall leased them, they managed to pack more wearable clothes into that space than Off Fifth ever could. It's saturated with John V, but there are still some nice pieces from Rogues Gallery, etc, that occasionally filter into the selection.

6. RyJ Maduro

RyJ Maduro Senior member

I had never been to a Nordstrom Rack until last week, and was amazed at the sheer volume of utterly worthless crap. A few decent pairs of Allen Edmonds in size 15+.

I was considering a solid red Penguin polo, until I noticed the large blue stains on the front. [​IMG]

7. tiecollector

tiecollector Senior member

Nordy Rack is way better than Off Saks.

8. amerikajinda

amerikajinda Senior member

Nordy Rack is way better than Off Saks.
    +1. Although it's hard to find shoes at either one... sometimes some Santonis or Mephistos at Nordy Rack, but no shoes ever at Off Fifth... about the only things I find at Nordy's Rack are work-out clothes and the rare Zegna or Talbott pocket square...

9. +1. Although it's hard to find shoes at either one... sometimes some Santonis or Mephistos at Nordy Rack, but no shoes ever at Off Fifth... about the only things I find at Nordy's Rack are work-out clothes and the rare Zegna or Talbott pocket square...

you guys need to come to chicago, the location in schaumburg always has a good selection of shoes and shirts. admittedly I don't always think their prices on shoes represent a great bargain.

10. bdeuce22

bdeuce22 Senior member

...for selling ugly jeans and ed hardy t-shirts.

you mean these??
    [​IMG]

don't ask why the hell i took a picture of those at the rack, but i did. worst thing was i saw two guys trying them on. [​IMG]

11. Casey

Casey Senior member

I actually thought Off 5th was okay compared to Neiman Marcus Last Call. I went to the one in Las Vegas and it's mainly the in-house brand along with Juicy, True Religion, and Dolce & Gabbana. And it's not cheap either.

On the other hand, I cannot stay away from the Barneys Outlet. It's only about 15 minutes away so I tend to visit it often. Even when they carry brands that I don't like, it's never tacky or crazy. I think it's still more of a retail store than a liquidation or clearance center.

12. repressedm

repressedm Senior member

How cum mainstream tastes (even among the upper-middle class) are so tacky compared to the looks on this forum?

13. Johnny_5

Johnny_5 Senior member

I was at off of 5th not long ago looking for last minute shoes. Awful. Just saw ed hardy, true religion, and garbage house brand shoes that were pointy as fuck.

14. modern_leifeng

modern_leifeng Senior member

you guys need to come to chicago, the location in schaumburg always has a good selection of shoes and shirts. admittedly I don't always think their prices on shoes represent a great bargain.

+1. I've got some decent stuff at this store over the years, and all of it casual/streetwear. I've only bought things at nordstrom rack two or three times (though I think I got a pair of my favorite Paper denims there (score!) as well as a pair of Edun's (a major regret!))....

15. sho'nuff

sho'nuff grrrrrrrr!!

nothing is wrong with nordstrom rack, you just got to sift through the stuff and you will eventually find some gems hidden somewhere at a great price.