• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Disgusted by Nordstrom Rack and Saks Off 5th

jkennett

Reaction score
yeah... they've made it to the discounters b/c noone is buying them at the mainline stores... good sign actually, since that means they're dying out.

Bam!ChairDance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, Off 5th is miserable. I make a stop there every time I set foot in my local outlet mall, and every time I'm greeted with the same gallery of ugly ugly clothes. Their suiting section is OK, with a moderate selection of fused Burberry, Boss, and Hickey, but there is not a single piece of streetwear that I would even give a first look. It is sometimes fun, though, to see the brands try to outdo each other's garish emblazoning like a shouting contest between drunken morons.

The Barneys outlet, on the other hand, is a few notches better. Even with the smaller footprint of space that the mall leased them, they managed to pack more wearable clothes into that space than Off Fifth ever could. It's saturated with John V, but there are still some nice pieces from Rogues Gallery, etc, that occasionally filter into the selection.

RyJ Maduro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had never been to a Nordstrom Rack until last week, and was amazed at the sheer volume of utterly worthless crap. A few decent pairs of Allen Edmonds in size 15+.

I was considering a solid red Penguin polo, until I noticed the large blue stains on the front.
confused.gif

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiecollector
Nordy Rack is way better than Off Saks.
+1. Although it's hard to find shoes at either one... sometimes some Santonis or Mephistos at Nordy Rack, but no shoes ever at Off Fifth... about the only things I find at Nordy's Rack are work-out clothes and the rare Zegna or Talbott pocket square...

ties@thedepot

Reaction score
Originally Posted by amerikajinda
+1. Although it's hard to find shoes at either one... sometimes some Santonis or Mephistos at Nordy Rack, but no shoes ever at Off Fifth... about the only things I find at Nordy's Rack are work-out clothes and the rare Zegna or Talbott pocket square...

you guys need to come to chicago, the location in schaumburg always has a good selection of shoes and shirts. admittedly I don't always think their prices on shoes represent a great bargain.

bdeuce22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by repressedm
...for selling ugly jeans and ed hardy t-shirts.

you mean these??
IMG00106.jpg

don't ask why the hell i took a picture of those at the rack, but i did. worst thing was i saw two guys trying them on.
confused.gif

Casey

Reaction score
I actually thought Off 5th was okay compared to Neiman Marcus Last Call. I went to the one in Las Vegas and it's mainly the in-house brand along with Juicy, True Religion, and Dolce & Gabbana. And it's not cheap either.

On the other hand, I cannot stay away from the Barneys Outlet. It's only about 15 minutes away so I tend to visit it often. Even when they carry brands that I don't like, it's never tacky or crazy. I think it's still more of a retail store than a liquidation or clearance center.

repressedm

Reaction score
How *** mainstream tastes (even among the upper-middle class) are so tacky compared to the looks on this forum?

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was at off of 5th not long ago looking for last minute shoes. Awful. Just saw ed hardy, true religion, and garbage house brand shoes that were pointy as ****.

modern_leifeng

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ties@thedepot
you guys need to come to chicago, the location in schaumburg always has a good selection of shoes and shirts. admittedly I don't always think their prices on shoes represent a great bargain.

+1. I've got some decent stuff at this store over the years, and all of it casual/streetwear. I've only bought things at nordstrom rack two or three times (though I think I got a pair of my favorite Paper denims there (score!) as well as a pair of Edun's (a major regret!))....

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads