• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Discussions about the fashion industry thread

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@dieworkwear is on a tirade against DTC business models, but I think that his model is outdated. His complaints are against a value proposition of "We make X in the same factory as big brand Y, but\ sell it without the markup." This has been stale for a while now, though still used.

Plenty of DTC companies don't do this, and DTC is simply their primary distribution channel. e.g. John Elliott started this way started, and its a premium brand at this point, sold in multibrand stores, but with a lot exclusive to their own site. This is not just for higher priced brands either. . There are plenty of examples of this at many price tiers. Even offline, there have ben "DTC" companies for a minute. Brooks Brothers is maybe one of the first offline DTC brands, selling exclusively through their own stores.

I think that the old model of DTC was premised on comparison against brands being sold primarily through brick-and-mortar stores, mostly multibrand retailers, with the value proposition built around the rather disingenuous "no retailer markup" story,

However, at this point, much of DTC, is just another form of brand store, with the brand in full control of the mnarketing.

Fast fashion is a separate issue.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Peter1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good. Ridiculous to be allowed to trademark something as simple as a few stripes.

Not at all. You're trademarking the position of the stripes, the angle, the spacing in between, the serrated edge, the "totality" of the image in consumers' minds. I mean, they are die marke mit den 3 streifen....

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

cb200

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice read and touches on some benifits of going direct and a big gotcha for companies that don't have enough brand recognition in getting customers in the door or on the website. Easy to run out of brand and hard to build if cashflow is tight.

The ability to expand categories or offerings in direct owned retail or websites is interesting and address a challenge for a brand selling to wholesale customers. Shops or distributors often just take a category from a season and not take the inventory risk on something new. Maybe they are right and the products didn't fit their customer or are weak, but it does limit the picture or portfolio that the public sees from brands.

Very surprised to hear that Nike's margins haven't improved in cutting out smaller accounts and moving to more direct transactions.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice read and touches on some benifits of going direct and a big gotcha for companies that don't have enough brand recognition in getting customers in the door or on the website. Easy to run out of brand and hard to build if cashflow is tight.

The ability to expand categories or offerings in direct owned retail or websites is interesting and address a challenge for a brand selling to wholesale customers. Shops or distributors often just take a category from a season and not take the inventory risk on something new. Maybe they are right and the products didn't fit their customer or are weak, but it does limit the picture or portfolio that the public sees from brands.

Very surprised to hear that Nike's margins haven't improved in cutting out smaller accounts and moving to more direct transactions.

Nike does not surprise me. I think that @gdl203 said it many things before, that “cutting out the middleman” is just not really viable. You can decrease costs, but at the price of the experience. And Nike does not want to sacrifice customer service it experience, so they end up paying as much as traditional retailers. DTC buyers are also not inherently better than retail.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Zamb

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
So no word on this ridiculous Pharrel at Louis Vuitton appointment?

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Zamb

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Why ridiculous?
I remember Arnault as a man who hired Galliano, McQueen, Jacobs, Kors, Rodrigues etc to head up these fashion houses in the late 90's and early 00's
I respected him as a man who really believed in genuine talent and gave DESIGNERS, who actually committed themselves to the craft, as an opportunity to show their talent and creative abilities

Regardless of what many people might think, I dont see Pharrell as the kind of person who will be committed to what this kind of job requires, and this formula, as i have said before, seem to be
lets get people with clout and large followings, and give them the job of "designer" or "creative director" and get them skilled underlings, (who are actually more desrving) to do the actual work

the route to the highest Jobs in fashion now, is to become a celebrity rather than an actual designer and its a shame

I'd love to have seen Samuel Ross or Craig Green getting this job

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics