• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Discussions about the fashion industry thread

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
lol parting shot

And Scott himself, regardless of what the facts turn out to be about his awareness of or culpability in the tragedy, will struggle to make any new brand partnerships for the foreseeable future, experts say. “New product endorsements? Not a chance,” says the music-marketing expert. Reputation Management Consultants’ Schiffer says Scott’s team would have to get creative in their choices. “You could see brands in which they don’t care about the negative implications,” he says. “So for instance, crypto-coin offerings or something.”

meanwhile its matt damon !

London

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know if TS will get canceled but it makes sense to me to collaborate with a rapper. It's not just about capturing Gen Z dollars, but helping to define what's cool in the US and abroad. Rappers have long been the new rock stars, and a lot of black culture sets the tone for what's considered cool. This ends up shaping consumer culture beyond what Gen Zers buy.
since the says of the blues this has held true. the next step will be for us to capture more of that long term value and monetization and not just set trends.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My fashion style is mostly casual. I usually wear jeans, t-shirts, and sneakers. Sometimes I'll throw on some converse or a dressier shoe if it's appropriate for the occasion. Kit And Ace
Like this stuff...?

Last edited:

jah786

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
My fashion style is mostly casual. I usually wear jeans, t-shirts, and sneakers. Sometimes I'll throw on some converse or a dressier shoe if it's appropriate for the occasion. Kit And Ace

What in the f/ck does this have to do with the conversation about TS? Or anything else on this thread? If this is an attempt at 'social media marketing', I can't think of an audience more hostile than the folks that read this thread. But since you decided to insert yourself in the conversation, I'll catch you up on what we have recently been talking about...
  • recently fallen brands. RIP: Entireworld, Unis.
  • dumping fast fashion in the desert in Chile (do your clothes end up there?)
  • Facebook selling 'clothes' in the metaverse (your next big channel!)
  • Dior's next collection is a Travis Scott (TS) collab. That's a bit of nightmare at the moment based on current events. Can you name what event that is?
so there are some topics...discuss, discuss!

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We had a long discussion about the metaverse in one of my apparel design courses the other day. Digital design of apparel is blowing up because it speeds up the whole process. I can design a piece in a software like CLO3D, seeing how it drapes on an avatar, and then the software creates the digital pattern that can be emailed to the factory where the fabric is cut out with a laser and sewn together. Our discussion wandered to the possibility that some of us could easily make a career designing only virtual apparel that is never even made in physical form (hello, Balenciaga x Fortnite).

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
We had a long discussion about the metaverse in one of my apparel design courses the other day. Digital design of apparel is blowing up because it speeds up the whole process. I can design a piece in a software like CLO3D, seeing how it drapes on an avatar, and then the software creates the digital pattern that can be emailed to the factory where the fabric is cut out with a laser and sewn together. Our discussion wandered to the possibility that some of us could easily make a career designing only virtual apparel that is never even made in physical form (hello, Balenciaga x Fortnite).

JefferyD was telling me about this over the phone a few weeks ago. The developments are incredibly interesting.

Have you seen this?

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
JefferyD was telling me about this over the phone a few weeks ago. The developments are incredibly interesting.

Have you seen this?

Articles like this really make me feel old. Like, I barely even understand the concept. Honestly, my dream job once I complete this program is designing and patterning tweed outerwear for some small brand in Scotland or something. o_O:puzzled:

I will be learning digital apparel design and patterning of my own accord next semester, though. As much as I love patterning on paper, it’s getting to be very inefficient.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Articles like this really make me feel old. Like, I barely even understand the concept. Honestly, my dream job once I complete this program is designing and patterning tweed outerwear for some small brand in Scotland or something. o_O:puzzled:

I thought it was crazy until I realized most people (ok, many) people on this site buy clothes purely for the purposes of posting them online. So it ends up being a digital good anyway, even if it has a physical form.

The other thing you mentioned ties into the discussion we had earlier: how much of this process is going to get affected by digital information technologies. JefferyD is working on a project to create custom patterns from scratch using algorithms, which will effectively apply AI technology to pattern drafting if he's successful.

Then there's the stuff you're talking about: potentially doing all the fittings remotely using avatars. It would revolutionize custom tailoring (and garment production).

Have you also seen this? The digital rendering of fabrics is totally amazing at this point

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We have been integrating CLO3D into our sample design for the 8 months or so.

We need customers to get on board (and they are on the way). In the longrun, if it works out and ends up being a good tool, it stands to save us 10's of thousands of dollars in shipping samples overnight via Fedex (literally everyday) transcon and across the Pacific.

The CLO people are pretty easy to work with too.

BlakeRVA

Reaction score
I thought it was crazy until I realized most people (ok, many) people on this site buy clothes purely for the purposes of posting them online. So it ends up being a digital good anyway, even if it has a physical form.

The other thing you mentioned ties into the discussion we had earlier: how much of this process is going to get affected by digital information technologies. JefferyD is working on a project to create custom patterns from scratch using algorithms, which will effectively apply AI technology to pattern drafting if he's successful.

Then there's the stuff you're talking about: potentially doing all the fittings remotely using avatars. It would revolutionize custom tailoring (and garment production).

Have you also seen this? The digital rendering of fabrics is totally amazing at this point

And we’ll solve all our problems with Artificial Intelligence!

*laughs in tech worker*

Shetterd

Reaction score

Have you written on this? Would really love to read something about this dynamic. Have definitely purchased clothes based on photos on here only to then realise that they looked good in a photo on here but that they are utterly impractical, don't suit my life, etc.

upsett1_spaghett1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have you written on this? Would really love to read something about this dynamic. Have definitely purchased clothes based on photos on here only to then realise that they looked good in a photo on here but that they are utterly impractical, don't suit my life, etc.
It doesn’t have to be a negative though. I’ve definitely purchased stuff that is well regarded by folks on here because let’s be real, there’s few other places with as many clothes nerds in one place that you can trust to steer you right. Then when I got the stuff, I thought “the style farmer’s will love this,” but also I loved it too. I think that we all crave connection and while in the end, it strangely ends up becoming a “digital good,” as @dieworkwear says, the experience isn’t necessarily detrimental

cchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

We've been living in the SF metaverse all along!
In all seriousness though, really interesting point.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I haven't, but I was talking to JefferyD about it over the phone a few weeks ago. He told me about these digital technologies, the NFT dress, and the possibility of people creating online avatars and dressing them in exclusive fashions. This was before the Metaverse thing was even announced. As we were talking about this, I was thinking, "wait ... people on StyleForum already do this." People are basically creating online personas, buying clothes, and then uploading photos for likes. Some of the outfits are totally impractical and disconnected from their daily life, but it's enjoyable because they're immersed in this community.

Similarly, if you think of the loads and loads of YouTube sneaker channels, where people are buying sneakers to do "reviews." I mean, the review is barely even a review. It's just a description of how the sneaker looks stretched out over five minutes. So the person is basically buying a prop for a video. I assume many of these sneakers never even get worn.

Anyway, in light of that, the NFT dress didn't seem so crazy.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads