• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Discussions about the fashion industry thread

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score

bry2000

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Have any brands / stores successfully shifted to strictly eCommerce?

Closing the B&M usually is the writing on the wall, but curious if some have bucked that trend.

Epaulet closed its B&M stores ~5 years ago and still operates on-line only.

Last edited:

jah786

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Every line of this made me cringe

when did DSM become a 'department store'?
sadly, that article revealed very little additional insight. No one seems to want to ask him very directly why the business failed. Somehow 600% growth couldn't keep it alive. Maybe investors were correct to pass if pandemic growth couldn't keep it alive. What was ad spend relative to average order value? What was payroll relative to sales? Maybe salaries were too high? These are the questions I'd like to know, rather than a critique of random brands in DSM.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
He probably wouldn’t tell either, though surprised people who worked for him didn’t talk

Zamb

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
sadly, that article revealed very little additional insight. No one seems to want to ask him very directly why the business failed. Somehow 600% growth couldn't keep it alive. Maybe investors were correct to pass if pandemic growth couldn't keep it alive. What was ad spend relative to average order value? What was payroll relative to sales? Maybe salaries were too high? These are the questions I'd like to know, rather than a critique of random brands in DSM.
sometimes its good to shut ones mouth and focus on what on ones own plate than to be concerned about "others"
he seemed not capable of doing that.

there are people in this world with TONS of money and willing to spend it for what they want...
I cannot see how a company can make 5MILLION dollars in a single year and end up having to close right after that unless it was a disaster before that point.

As I have said before, there are two kinds of companies:
1. Those that from the outset, are structured to sustain themselves from the REVENUES AND PROFITS, they bring in....
2. Those that operate without concern for profit, trying to get BIG and VALUABLE enough for some sucker with money to pay a hefty price (so the owners can have a GOLDEN PARACHUTE) in offloading it.
he seems to have been among the latter..................

cb200

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Times write up on Entireworld / sweatpants from 2020 (Q3) did mention that expected funding from some investor for the brand fell through and they had to cut some staff as well as planned Fall styles. So it wasn't exactly smooth sailing there. There was also a claim that he (Scott Sternberg) didn't want to grow crazy big as growth had caused issues with Band of Outsiders. He said he just wanted to be profitable in the next year.

Racing Green

Reaction score
Only in menswear do we revere people who go from failure to bigger failure. I can think of a few menswear personalities who crashed multiple businesses to the ground, hung suppliers and employees out to dry, yet continue to be considered relevant, get invited to trendy podcasts and interviewed by the press. Smh… this is a weird industry

Happens here in Europe with football coaches/managers - rewarded again and again for failure with huge pay-offs when sacked and then straight back into another job. Rinse and repeat.

Also the bitchy shade thrown at Evan Kinori by SS in that I/v the most telling part IMO.

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Epaulet closed its B&M stores ~5 years ago and still operates on-line only.

Yeah, I think we're an exception with that. It helps that my online business was always a way larger component than my brick & mortar business. I didn't really depend on the stores, and once NYC's retail downturn started (way before COVID), then I was able to jettison the stores without sacrificing much profit at the end of the day.

I think the typical "pivot to online only" is done by retailers which are already struggling, and which aren't particularly competent with e-commerce.

Agreed, that article was absolutely ridiculous. I'm not sure what I even read.

I know that both you and I think that Sternberg is a creative genius. Honestly I believe that the original Band of Outsiders was a triumph of menswear branding. The clothes, the styles, the name, his Polaroid lookbook pics -- it all worked together perfectly.

I'm not sure why he has this desire to take over the world though. Maybe there's a non-competition clause that prevents him from selling anything that looks like Band. Because from my vantage point, he could go into the LA Garment district tomorrow and have a full collection of "Sternberg Shirts" in 12 weeks that look and feel like the old Band stuff. Chances are slim that someone is gonna hand him $10 million to acquire that, but chances are good that he'd sell the shirts well and be able to build a lean, profitable business from the very start.

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Only in menswear do we revere people who go from failure to bigger failure. I can think of a few menswear personalities who crashed multiple businesses to the ground, hung suppliers and employees out to dry, yet continue to be considered relevant, get invited to trendy podcasts and interviewed by the press. Smh… this is a weird industry

True that. I think we have the market cornered on "failing upwards."

From my limited time in corporate menswear retail, I was stunned by how imperceptive the HR professionals were. Nearly every hire was simply based on "were you doing pretty much this exact job before." Not whether you were successful or not. Not looking for a fresh perspective or skill set. Just doing the laziest job possible and filling a position with someone who currently does something extremely close to that. I wonder how much that plays a role.

Zamb

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Happens here in Europe with football coaches/managers - rewarded again and again for failure with huge pay-offs when sacked and then straight back into another job. Rinse and repeat.

Also the bitchy shade thrown at Evan Kinori by SS in that I/v the most telling part IMO.
I like what Evan is doing. It isn’t my style but it’s the kind of approach I believe in.
Cut out the bullshit, grow your business slowly, focus on the customers who matter and leave “investors” alone.

I remember when BILL BLASS business was in trouble, he was looking for a buyer. ZORAN offered to buy the business CASH.
BLASS, Beene et al didn’t regard ZORAN, but his business practices made him tons of money and in control of his destiny.
Ask yourself why a dry cleaner can be on a street for 25 years, pay their rent, pay staff, have no Instagram account but manage to be profitable.
People need to ask themself if they’re in business to make a great product, reach customers and make a great living from it or to swing for home runs that may never happen.

Last edited:

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads