• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Discussions about the fashion industry thread

Mghart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm always curious who actually buys from these DTC brands? Its amazing to see IG littered with so many of them. I'm guessing the majority of their target demo is unsuspecting consumers, but I'm still amazed at the sheer number of them.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m also amazed at the sheer number of DTC clothing ads that go by on social media. Might have been tempted in the past but now that I’m a snobbish #styleforum dude it’s not happening. :cool:

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
if "priced right" I think lots of DTC can get people into the door (like people's think would be it's only $35 or whatever, worth the try). Though in this case there is this membership fee of $100, to me that's a much harder hurdle to climb

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm always curious who actually buys from these DTC brands? Its amazing to see IG littered with so many of them. I'm guessing the majority of their target demo is unsuspecting consumers, but I'm still amazed at the sheer number of them.

I think most people have very little interest in clothing. To the degree they have any interest in it, they just don't want to get ripped off or look out of place in their environment. Lots of guys who want to look OK at work or on weekends, but they're not especially trying to look amazing (they may even not want to look amazing, as that will make them stand out). They just want to get by.

At the same time, there are so many options on the market, it can feel overwhelming. With so many options, people start worrying whether they're getting the best value.

Barry Schwartz wrote about this in his book "The Paradox of Choice." He opens with a story about how he went into The Gap to buy a pair of jeans. Before, he thought jeans only came in one fit and one color. But at The Gap, he was faced with so many options -- slim, straight, tapered, relaxed, different washes, etc. And that was only at The Gap (imagine if he looked at the entire market). He walked out that day with the best pair of jeans he had ever bought, but then kept wondering if maybe he had walked out with the wrong pair and if he should have chosen something else. With so many choices, you start wondering about optimization.

I think these DTC brands soothe a bit of that anxiety. How many people on this forum own a Casper mattress? Few people here have an interest in mattresses. They just don't want to get ripped off. And they don't want to go to a showroom and test different mattresses,. Casper is a DTC brand that promises to give you better value (whether true or not). And people keep the stuff because it's "fine."

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
That's basically what they're banking on. Prices that are so cheap, combined with a promised value so high, that people will buy stuff "just to try out." In the end, if the stuff sucks -- and they will suck -- consumers won't care because the price was already so cheap.

You can't make a good cashmere garment and sell it for $95. Those sort of items are made from recycled cashmere fibers, short fibers, and/ or a lot of slack to save on material cost.

100% agree. It’s depressing to see

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I find Jomers to be completely legit.
They just don't drop that often, and when they do, you have to be quick...

Mghart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think most people have very little interest in clothing. To the degree they have any interest in it, they just don't want to get ripped off or look out of place in their environment. Lots of guys who want to look OK at work or on weekends, but they're not especially trying to look amazing (they may even not want to look amazing, as that will make them stand out). They just want to get by.

At the same time, there are so many options on the market, it can feel overwhelming. With so many options, people start worrying whether they're getting the best value.

Barry Schwartz wrote about this in his book "The Paradox of Choice." He opens with a story about how he went into The Gap to buy a pair of jeans. Before, he thought jeans only came in one fit and one color. But at The Gap, he was faced with so many options -- slim, straight, tapered, relaxed, different washes, etc. And that was only at The Gap (imagine if he looked at the entire market). He walked out that day with the best pair of jeans he had ever bought, but then kept wondering if maybe he had walked out with the wrong pair and if he should have chosen something else. With so many choices, you start wondering about optimization.

I think these DTC brands soothe a bit of that anxiety. How many people on this forum own a Casper mattress? Few people here have an interest in mattresses. They just don't want to get ripped off. And they don't want to go to a showroom and test different mattresses,. Casper is a DTC brand that promises to give you better value (whether true or not). And people keep the stuff because it's "fine."

Yeah I can understand that for sure. I guess I'm the type that actually enjoys researching before buying almost anything. In the case of clothes however, I'm favoring buying from small independent shops.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Does it always have to suck though (not $95 cashmere sweat pants but in general).

Like if they sell basic at uniqulo price but promise you next level but in the end deliver uniqulo quality (Since they don’t have the uniqulo scale to do better than uniqulo for cheaper), yea you get “ripped off“ but it didn’t really suck, just ok.

I mean it’s pretty hard to tell qualities, baseline assessment will be does it fell apart (if it’s uniqulo level probably not), then almost any slightest design/perceived value/ethics etc element can be justified mentally.

edit: for general consumers, not SF bros

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Does it always have to suck though (not $95 cashmere sweat pants but in general).

Like if they sell basic at uniqulo price but promise you next level but in the end deliver uniqulo quality (Since they don’t have the uniqulo scale to do better than uniqulo for cheaper), yea you get “ripped off“ but it didn’t really suck, just ok.

I mean it’s pretty hard to tell qualities, baseline assessment will be does it fell apart (if it’s uniqulo level probably not), then almost any slightest design/perceived value/ethics etc element can be justified mentally.

edit: for general consumers, not SF bros

I just don't see the point. A well-made sweater in a cheaper fiber -- such as lambswool or Shetland -- will last longer and have a bit of surface interest. Cheap cashmere pills easily and stretches out over time. It has none of the benefits of high-end cashmere. It mostly sells because of the price and the word cashmere. Why not just buy a merino?

Instead of buying a dozen cheap cashmere sweaters in colors like artichoke and sunkissed orange -- or cashmere joggers that serve no purpose -- why not just buy one quality cashmere knit in a basic color like navy? Is $400 - $500 for a sweater ridiculous? I don't know. But it makes more sense to me than people buying a stack of cashmere knits that aren't great.

Instead of $95 cashmere joggers (tailors won't even use woven cashmere for trousers, nevermind knitted cashmere), think of it like getting a $95 discount code on a high-end cashmere knit.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
well, I said NOT $95 cashmere sweat pants but in general (not even cashmere, just basics as looks like that's what a lot DTC are doing)

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FWIW, I have nothing against lower-cost products, or generally anything that these DTC startups sell. If you like it and like the price or value it provides you, then that's a great thing. If a company simplifies a chaotic and confusing offering for you (Brooklinen, Away, etc...) and it makes you feel like you're buying a reliable product, that's great.

What bothers me is the deceptive language that creates false narratives (at best) and false advertising (at worst). I mean, "no markups", really? How is that even possibly remotely true? How does a business function (and hires dozens of people) with no margins?

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just don't see the point. A well-made sweater in a cheaper fiber -- such as lambswool or Shetland -- will last longer and have a bit of surface interest. Cheap cashmere pills easily and stretches out over time. It has none of the benefits of high-end cashmere. It mostly sells because of the price and the word cashmere. Why not just buy a merino?

Instead of buying a dozen cheap cashmere sweaters in colors like artichoke and sunkissed orange -- or cashmere joggers that serve no purpose -- why not just buy one quality cashmere knit in a basic color like navy? Is $400 - $500 for a sweater ridiculous? I don't know. But it makes more sense to me than people buying a stack of cashmere knits that aren't great.

Instead of $95 cashmere joggers (tailors won't even use woven cashmere for trousers, nevermind knitted cashmere), think of it like getting a $95 discount code on a high-end cashmere knit.
I agree although will still aim for $500 cashmere sweaters on sale... ;)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads