• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Digital photo storage while on traveling

mussel

Reaction score
I am going to be on family vacation, is there inexpensive device where you can download and store pictures from digital camera? My camera can store 1GB worth of pictures with memory card and I don't think that's enough and don't want to carry my laptop with me. Any other options other than buying more memory cards?

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
most photomart type places will have a card reader and a CD burning service for this - thats probably as easy as anything else.

Bandwagonesque

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have you considered using a gmail account as an "online hard-drive"?
Upside: 2.7 GB of storage, can have multiple accounts... X x 2.7GB = lotta GB
Very Big Downside: only 10 MB per attachment (or is it 20?)

Or you can always use Google's Picasaweb, but that compresses your photos to a smaller size... probably something you don't want.

Other than that, you can do the CD burning thing above, or buy another memory card... they go on sale frequently and are relatively cheap. You can also use a lower resolution on your camera and fit more photos.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bandwagonesque
Have you considered using a gmail account as an "online hard-drive"? Upside: 2.7 GB of storage, can have multiple accounts... X x 2.7GB = lotta GB Very Big Downside: only 10 MB per attachment (or is it 20?)
yeah, but that assumes he has access to a computer and bandwidth for long enough to do the upload. If he was taking a laptop there wouldnt be this issue, and I cant imagine he wants to sit in an internet cafe long enough to upload a gigabyte! Another option would be to buy a USB hard drive, transfer the pics to that at an internet cafe on the way.

mussel

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions. All I really want is some kind small, light device which I can just move the photo files from the memory card without using a computer at end of each day.

Google online hard drive wouldn't work because I don't want to hunt for internet cafes or libraries to do the download in a foreign country. Even there's an interent cafe, many won't allow download or upload files.

I guess I'll just buy some more memory cards if I can't find such a device.

MCsommerreid

Reaction score
I say get a high capacity flash card, and use the 1gb as backup. If you use CompactFlash you can get an 8Gb card for around $120, which is what I use in my good camera. I have yet to get that thing even half full right high res shots.

Also, if you use compact flash, you could invest in a microdrive, which gives you in 20gb range.

visionology

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I saw on tv the other day a TINY 30GB removeable drive. Was a bit bigger than your typical flash drive but could fit in your pocket easily and was hardened for wear and tear. To me 1GB or even 2GB would not be enough for a trip, especially with today's higher MPs and Raw shooting.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
I use my ipod for photo storage on trips. I've got a 10MP camera and only use a 1gb card because I can upload them on to the ipod without having to worry about a computer. The adaptor's only around $20-30 and you connect the camera via your USB cable.

Stax

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
I use my ipod for photo storage on trips. I've got a 10MP camera and only use a 1gb card because I can upload them on to the ipod without having to worry about a computer. The adaptor's only around $20-30 and you connect the camera via your USB cable.

x2

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads