• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Differences between English and Italian shirts

gregory

Reaction score
uriahheep said: I don't buy British shirts because I don't like the placket fronts, which are not edge or 1/4"-stitched, but stitched just past the edges of the buttons, the collars, which are 1/4" stitched and generally too "bulky" for my taste, or the sloppy button attachments. Panzeraxe said: Maybe - but the collar and finishing on a H&K shirt is amazing This started to get me wondering: what are the defining features of an English shirt (H&K?) vs an Italian shirt (Borrelli?) vs a French shirt (Charvet)? For me, a H&K shirt will look quite different from a Zegna shirt. As I am quite interested in the little details that make up a shirt (how far the edges are from the edge, the collar style, etc), I hope that some members will spare some time to enlighten me.

uriahheep

Reaction score
British non-fused collars 1/4"-stitched collars and cuffs placket front with stitching just past the edges of the buttons split yoke, cut on the bias and matched at an angle if striped rounded bottom hem with gussets sewn just above the points where the side seams and bottom hem meet machinesewn buttonholes, buttons attached by machine fairly thin 18L MOP buttons Italian fused collars edge-stitched or 1/4"-stitched collars and cuffs plain front or 1/4"-stitched placket front usually solid yoke usually rounded bottom hem with triangular gussets sewn in a manner such that the points where the side seams and bottom hem meet are concealed machinemade or handsewn buttonholes, buttons attached by machine or by hand usually thick 16L buttons French 1/4"-stitched collars and cuffs 1/4"-stitched placket front solid yoke straight bottom hem with side slits, no gussets machine buttonholes, buttons attached by machine fairly thin 18L MOP buttons with carved concentric circle patterns

Brian SD

Reaction score
American Shirts:
"short sleeves" that extend down to your wrists, and shoulder seams that fall over your biceps.
the distinct smell of rotton cotton around the armpit area
8" collars with 4" tie space
looks like a tent when untucked

of course that is the slobbish majority, not the minority (of which we can all be quite certain there are some excellent contributers).

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Actually, the Zegna Napoli Couture or Napoli XXX or whatever they call the line now (damn it Zegna. just choose a name and stick with it.) uses Lorenzini-made shirts that utilize angled split-yokes. Granted, every other detail is very Italian oriented, but a split-yoke is a very English detail that is not often found on Italian made / label shirts.

Incidentally Lorenzini also manufactures the "˜Made in Italy' labeled RLPL dress shirts and they as well feature split-yokes.

Jon.

uriahheep

Reaction score
That's true (re: Lorenzini and angled split yokes), but I was merely trying my best to sum up "quintessential" British, Italian and French styling. The British spread collar is also, not surprisingly, common among the Lorenzini-made RLPL shirts.
RLPL by Lorenzini is merely the Anglo-influenced styling of WASP-wannabe Ralph Lifshitz carried out by an Italian maker.
A few Italian shirtmakers use three-hole buttons since it has long been thought that the presence of these buttons is a sign of handwork. Previously these buttons had to be sewn on by hand. However, there are now machines capable of attaching three-hole buttons.

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
English are good value for money.

Italian are robbery (have a look at Kiton prices for a cotton shirt.)

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Hmm... I haven't seen gussets on my Charvet shirts.

Point: I haven't seen a single British shirtmaker (RTW) match stripes or other patterns besides Hilditch and Key. Some might claim to do it, but I haven't seen it.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
You guyz got sumpin' against Uhmerika?
Do you think there is a characteristically American way to make a shirt, or a characteristically American style of shirt? Apart from the classic Brooks button down, I would be hard pressed to think of one. But I would be happy to be corrected.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Another difference: Italian collars tend to be longer and have some roll. The front edges of English collars tend to be shorter and dead straight.

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmm... I haven't seen gussets on my Charvet shirts.  

Point: I haven't seen a single British shirtmaker (RTW) match stripes or other patterns besides Hilditch and Key.  Some might claim to do it, but I haven't seen it.
What do you call a gusset?

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
pict00012jd.jpg
French shirt

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One more addition...

Neopolitan shirtings:
1) Puckered sleeve head (though I have this feature on 2 Hugo Boss Baldessarini shirts that are made in Switzerland).

gregory

Reaction score
Another difference: Italian collars tend to be longer and have some roll.  The front edges of English collars tend to be shorter and dead straight.
What exactly is meant by 'roll' here? Does it refer to the part where the collar flap is attached to the body of the shirt or the outer edge of the collar flap?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads