• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DESIGN YOUR OWN LAPEL

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The next time you order a m2m or custom suit would you like to have some-thing different in the lapels style? Yes you can have that, and also you can be your own designer with this....
Its some-thing called a *shaper. they are found in m2m and custom work shops. They are the size and shape of the finished lapel. the tailor uses it to mark out and then cut out the shape of the finished lapel. this is before the front tape is sewn, and the facing is sewn in place.
*I have been told shaper is not a proper word, but thats what most tailors call it.

Here is how you can make your own shaper. See the diagram.
Take one of your coats be it 2 or 3 button. Place the fore part of the coat face up on a sheet of paper.and trace the shape all around That long straight line is the break line.It runs from the crease of the collar to the top button. dont forget to mark in that short diagonal straight line, thats the gorge line.
You now have your basic lapel shaper. using this you can make changes in shape and size. you can design your own lapel.
cut it out and give it to your tailor with the understanding that you realize that the finished product will be close to this and not be exact to the nth degree. After all he will need to make it fit into the new garment.

If you make that first copy of a finished lapel out of cardboard, keep it as a base from which to make other future lapels.
Why stop there, have you thought of making different shaped pocket flaps?

notice the dotted lines at the bottom of the diagram. A reminder that you can also make shapers for the curve of the quarters of the jacket.

RDiaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very interesting. Not sure my tailor offers this possibility, though. What about an armscye shaper so that the chest of the coat doesn't end up sitting on my biceps?
tongue.gif

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Very interesting. Not sure my tailor offers this possibility, though. What about an armscye shaper so that the chest of the coat doesn't end up sitting on my biceps?
tongue.gif
Hey Diaz can we have a couple of pictures, and a description?

RDiaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well I think this should go in a different thread, but I mean, on most of my coats the armscye is cut following the green line in this picture, and I believe if it was cut following the red line it would allow for more ease of movement:

Do MTM programs usually allow for such a thing? Maybe the tailor could send the factory a "shaper" for the armscye as well?

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
RDiaz
this picture is a good helper. But there are more questions.
Are the shoulders too wide?
Is the chest too wide across the front?
Is the armhole much too deep?
do you have fore ward shoulders like the tutorial
Is there too much overlap at the front by the buttons.

RDiaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The shoulders on my jackets usually have no extension at all, though I want to start getting soft extended shoulders. I usually get some extra room at the back, but front chest is lean. Armholes are going to be high on my future jackets, and my shoulders are slightly more forward pitched than usual. It's not something I want to get fixed on current jackets, but on future ones - all part of an ongoing process, as I want to squeeze the most mobility I can out of the MTM block pattern. So that's why I was asking if the tailor can actually do something about the armhole pattern on a MTM program, not unlike the lapel shaper thingy. Of course I'd pay some extra cash for the extra work...

Last edited:

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Diaz
If that red line is where you wish it to be,then try the fore ward shoulder pattern change.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads