1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

DB suit with BD shirt?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by YRR92, Aug 19, 2013.

Is a BD collar acceptable with a DB suit?

1. Absolutely.

9 vote(s)
    27.3%
  2. It's risky, but it can work well.

11 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. Never.

13 vote(s)
    39.4%
  1. YRR92

YRR92 Senior member

Even in the case of city suits, I think the texture of the cloth makes a significant difference. I mean, a fresco or a flannel DB in an appropriate color is still more a city suit than anything else, but it is a notch less formal than a worsted -- and that notch at least reduces the gap in formality between the suit and the shirt.

2. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

I probably wouldn't wear a BD with two of my "city" suits in smooth worsted. I would probably prefer a BD with any of my three casual suits--all of which are lightweight, summer-y jobs with patch pockets. I would also pair a BD with my navy hopsack if I wanted to dress it down a bit, as I did for jury duty.

3. conradwu

conradwu Senior member Affiliate Vendor

I usually wear spread collars with my DB but every once in awhile I decide to live dangerously for a day.

[​IMG]

4. RDiaz

RDiaz Senior member

Yeah, I mentioned I dislike BD shirts with city suits. I specified that because I'd absolutely wear them with a casual suit, no matter if it is DB or SB. I don't think DB makes a suit any more formal, but rather the cloth and other features.

I generally agree with this:

Quote:

1 person likes this.
  5. Roycru

Roycru Senior member

When I started working in the early sixties, all of us who grew up in the forties or fifties wore button down shirts because we had always worn button down shirts. The older men, who grew up in the twenties and thirties all wore spread collar shirts, as when they were growing up, the Prince Of Wales (later Duke Of Windsor) wore spread collar shirts. They also favored Windsor knots, although the Prince (later Duke) did not.

Everyone wore grey or blue striped or glen plaid suits and black wing tip shoes. I think that wearing button down shirts with everything except dinner jackets and morning dress is a function of when one grew up. Spread collars seem to have made a comeback and, for some reason, some people wear brown shoes with blue or grey suits, which looks strange to me.

Even stranger looking (to me) are people wearing black suits. Apparently, for many people, black is no longer associated with the SS or with bad guys in cowboy films.

6. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

Interesting thoughts. I could see certain collars coming in and out of fashion, especially back in an era where men much more commonly wore suits, and can see how certain things would be habit forming for men.

And I agree with you on black suits.

7. Ivar

Ivar Senior member

Don't tell Manton about this, or else acrimony might ensue.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2013
  8. YRR92

YRR92 Senior member

I'd like one in a graph check or perhaps a tattersall. I think he's on the record against those anyway. Oh well.

Manton is my sartorial better, and I listen to any advice he gives, but it's no problem for me if our tastes differ.

9. Ivar

Ivar Senior member

Diversity is the spice of life. By the way, it's my recollection that Foo was also -- for a time, anyway -- thinking of having french cuffs on his MTM OCBD shirts. I'm not sure if he went through with that plan, though.

10. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

Interesting the comments about the possibility of a generational divide on BD collars. I know that my stepson, for whatever reason, will have no part of them, even though his customary work attire--a decent pair of slacks, good shoes and a dressy shirt worn with an open collar--would seem to be better served by BD shirts than the point collars he favors. I seem to recall someone in this forum stating that nobody under 65 wore BD collars!

11. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

I believe his plan was for a linked-cuff shirt and was debating collar styles including a BD collar. IIRC, he was talked into a spread collar in part due to the fact that he was already planning to order some OCBDs anyway. Foo is also somewhat of a unique case with his various style eccentricities (OneShoe, OneShirt. OneTrouser).

12. Ivar

Ivar Senior member

Single-linked cuffs, right! Now I remember! Even more eccentric. :foo::foo::foo:

13. MisterFu

MisterFu Senior member

I am 39 and wear them all the time. Just not with suits. I don't think it's a generational thing. My father wears them in the same fashion I do: BD shirts with sport coats, never with full suits.

14. YRR92

YRR92 Senior member

I don't know if it's an age thing as much as a background thing, you know? I'm very young, but BD shirts with suits have never seemed that bizarre to me. My clothes-consciousness started with BB and grew out from there, so the idea of a BD collar with a suit seems as natural as any other. Heck, it beats a super-wide spread, which just looks contrived to me. It's a matter of taste and upbringing, I guess.