• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Daily wear suitS $300-600 range

TheChihuahua

Reaction score
I would love to drop a grand or two on all my suits, but I just wear them too much in active situations. The jacket will be in the overhead compartment of a plane in the morning, and rolled up in the briefcase for the flight home. Sitting outdoors on concrete steps during the day does a number on suit pants. I need to be able to buy a couple/few suits for $1500-2000 total, not just one suit that I will be afraid to wear on a daily basis.

I see suitsupply mentioned. I also see mens wearhouse Joe custom as an option. I understand neither get great reviews, but they seem to have options in this range.

but then I read posts where others say you can get better for that price range. Where?

I could go to Nordstrom and get something off the rack, but their prices are on the higher end of this range (or above) and it seems like only a step above the lower tier stuff at Macy’s.

Wouldn’t it be better to just go to mens wear house and pick the material and get it made to measure with them willing to do free alterations after it arrives rather than buy off the rack at Nordstrom’s?

thanks a lot. Looking forward to learning more on the topic

ahtynes

Reaction score
Suitsupply or Spier and Mackay are going to be the options you hear most around here for that price. As far as travel goes, I think Spier might offer some heavier suits (Suitsupply doesn't tend to disclose weights, although you can ask their customer service). Heavier fabrics are going to wrinkle less, all else equal, although you can balance that against climate and weave. Permanent Style has a guide on packing suits with minimal wrinkles. Suitsupply has free alterations in-store if you live near one of their locations although their salespeople are definitely pushing a more fashion-oriented look than you might want for business.

TheChihuahua

Reaction score
Thanks for the info.

I don’t think heavier fabric is the goal.I live in a warm weather climate.

also, no suitsupply near me. And I have heard suitsupply is more for younger men? Most of their options are extra slim and not necessarily a business/conservative look?

i will check out Spier and Mackay. Browsing their website they seem to be a good option.

would you say it is better to go off the rack at Spier and have it tailored upon arrival rather than do the made to measure Joe custom at men’s wearhouse?

thanks again.

Last edited:

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
SuitSupply jackets are actually not that slim with the exception of the Washington cut. Their Napoli model in particular is fairly average. It’s just that their sales associates and models are wearing suits at least one size down. I will say that their trousers run on the slim side.
Spier and Mackay is very good.
Haven’t seen eHaberdasher much here lately but their house suits are fully canvassed and apparently well made, though I’ve never seen one in person.
If you are a fairly average build and can fit into an off the rack suit with basic alterations, that always is better than custom. Unless you are looking for fabrics or styling details that you can’t get with off the rack.

mux8

Reaction score
Thanks for the info.

I don’t think heavier fabric is the goal.I live in a warm weather climate.

also, no suitsupply near me. And I have heard suitsupply is more for younger men? Most of their options are extra slim and not necessarily a business/conservative look?

i will check out Spier and Mackay. Browsing their website they seem to be a good option.

would you say it is better to go off the rack at Spier and have it tailored upon arrival rather than do the made to measure Joe custom at men’s wearhouse?

thanks again.

If you look at the suitsupply classic line, there are solid basics that are for all ages. Yes they also make more flamboyant designs, but you don't have to chose them.

TheChihuahua

Reaction score
So I just went to Charles Tyrwhitt website, clicked on business suits, and half the suits are displayed with models wearing sneakers! Dive watches and sneakers being worn with suits in a business environment?!?!

I appreciate the suggestion. These look like some good options.

kevinsvindland

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Maybe this fully canvassed super 120s suit, at $ 355 could work?

TheChihuahua

Reaction score
Just ordered a Spier Mackay. Thanks for the suggestion.
Will order a Charles Tyrwhitt in a couple of months after I get his one and a couple other new ones tailored and get the bug again.

next task, find a decent tailor. I live on an island and that’s not an easy task.

mux8

Reaction score
Just ordered a Spier Mackay. Thanks for the suggestion.
Will order a Charles Tyrwhitt in a couple of months after I get his one and a couple other new ones tailored and get the bug again.

next task, find a decent tailor. I live on an island and that’s not an easy task.

Congratulations. Which suit did you opt for.

TheChihuahua

Reaction score
Guabello blue shadow check super 120’s at $349. Size 48 jacket only available in contemporary.
The gsm on this one was a touch lower than the others. I don’t know how much 10 gam matters, but I live in the tropics so I’m looking light.
Also I almost always go navy, so I have a bunch of navy so this one had the check which I figured was a good mix up. I didn’t want to be too adventurous as this suit is better than the rest of my wordrobe (I have a couple older Armani factory outlet suits from back in my city days but I don’t really wear those anymore, they are 15 years old I’m just a hoarder).

so I figure good combination of traditional style as I hope this suit outlasts my current collection of fused Macy’sand men’s wearhouse specials. But it is a touch different than the rest of the wardrobe.

I will start to get more adventurous as I add to the collection. Figure I can swing a new suit like this once every three or four months until I amass a few of these quality range suits for the wardrobe.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads