• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dack's Shoes: Bankrupt

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Philip1978
Holt's in Toronto carries lobb's now. It's getting better.
Good to hear. Maybe eventually they'll realize that Vancouver is doing fairly well, and it's Calgary's skyline in the background on BNN most of the time, not Toronto's.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Too many dumb posts on this thread to itemize so I'll make a blanket statement.
None of you know what you are typing about (so far) and you probably typed it wearing Crocs.
I doubr any of you even own a pair of Dack's shoes.
If you do, post photos to prove it or shut up.
Dack's did not charge 2x or 3x the price of anything, unless you are referring to $100 Florsheims.
The reason Dack's is going under is that 99% of men are too stupid and uneducated to appreciate a good quality pair of shoes in the first place.
You played it cheap, and that is why better companies go out of business.
There is no other reason.
Shop at Wal-Mart, Future Shop, Best Buy, Sams & Costco too, and by your practices,
you'll see to it that all other Canadian companies go out of business.

triathlete

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bill Smith
Alas it's Canada's passion for mediocrity that kills us in retailing. I too am waiting for J Crew to show up.

That's the funniest thing I've read in a while.

fwiffo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
25% is not much for the Made in England shoes. They were 50% off when the store in the Richmond Adelaide building went under.

But I'll definitely swing by and check it out as sizes seem to go fast and they also take % off the shoe trees which is nice.

I saw the news on CP24 while at the bar at Royal York.

Bill Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by triathlete
That's the funniest thing I've read in a while.

Originally Posted by Man Of Lint
None of you know what you are typing about (so far) and you probably typed it wearing Crocs.
Dack's did not charge 2x or 3x the price of anything, unless you are referring to $100 Florsheims.
The reason Dack's is going under is that 99% of men are too stupid and uneducated to appreciate a good quality pair of shoes in the first place.
Shop at Wal-Mart, Future Shop, Best Buy, Sams & Costco too, and by your practices,

Better companies don't go out of business, they go bust because there was either something wrong with the product, or alternately they had no marketing strategy to engage their potential customers. The top of Dack's product assortment is roughly the same price as Allan Edmonds. The last time I bought dress shoes, I picked up AE because they had a little more style than Dack's

Dack's big problem was not so much their flagship product line, it lay in their head office and it was still stuck somewhere in the past in terms of doing business.

Chargersfan

Reaction score

You must be from TO...the buying public are just too stupid to understand the wonderfulness of the crappy, overpriced product no one is buying. And I wasn't wearing crocs when I made my post....just black, vibram-soled, gortex, standard issue military boots. They're the only thing work will let me wear.

BTW I only purchase ammo at Wal-Mart, never clothing...

WildeMan

Reaction score
Man of Lint, your post seems overly (and unnecessarily) agressive.

I didn't detect anything but genuine regret from SF members over the demise of Dack's. I think most people were rather wistful that their product offering wasn't more appealing.

Plenty of high-end Canadian companies thrive - Lululemon, Roots, Fairmont & Four Seasons hotels, RIM, to name a few --- because they offer what people want. The market is always right.

Interestingly, your avatar is a pair of shoes. Not Dack's, though.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by WildeMan
Man of Lint, your post seems overly (and unnecessarily) agressive. I didn't detect anything but genuine regret from SF members over the demise of Dack's. I think most people were rather wistful that their product offering wasn't more appealing.
Don't worry, I do have Dack's shoes right here, and have owned plenty a pair in the past. The only agression in this thread came from those who revealed their ignorance of a product they have clearly never owned, and are therefore not qualified to offer input.
Originally Posted by WildeMan
Plenty of high-end Canadian companies thrive - Lululemon, Roots, Fairmont & Four Seasons hotels, RIM, to name a few --- because they offer what people want. The market is always right. Interestingly, your avatar is a pair of shoes. Not Dack's, though.
Fairmont & Four Seasons are hotels, not shoe manufacturers and are not high end either. Lululemon, Roots...high end?
lol8[1].gif

racetrack

Reaction score
The only agression in this thread came from those who revealed their ignorance of a product they have clearly never owned, and are therefore not qualified to offer input.

i.e. 90% of the posts on SF. You haven't been lurking here very long to get upset about this.
confused.gif

SuitMyself

Reaction score

I agree with you 100%, Man Of Lint. A lot of people always seem to forget that a lower price does not always mean a better value. Without value, we have nothing. I'd rather own only twopairs of really good shoes than eight pair of also-rans.

HEWSINATOR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmm, missed this post. Anybody pick anything up? Anybody in Edmonton check out their store? Any chance of anything left now?

ZackyBoy

Reaction score

Wow... yes it's all our fault the retailer can't stay in the green. Boo hoo hoo hoo hoo.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought a pair of Dack's for a "formal" once, a long time ago, so I have nostalgic memories about the brand - but it really seems to me that they went the way of the dodo because they did not adapt to the modern marketplace. And before Man of Lint blasts me, companies can adapt to the market without compromising their strengths. But companies with a strong product can still become obsolete, and not just in the "nice shoe" category.

Doc4

Reaction score
Too bad to see them go. FWIW, though, they hadn't seemed like much of a presence in the shoe market for a while now.

I bought 4 pairs of shoes from them in the mid-90s, and regret not buying a few more. Two pairs have long-since died (from a low-end line made in South Aftrica) but two pairs have survived rather well (a camel brogue blucher, and a water buffalo wholecut). Still nice shoes.

robdpittman

Reaction score
Lululemon may not be high-end, but it's the best yoga clothes money can buy. Though many "high-end" designers also manufacture (or contract) yoga and athletic clothes, in my experience the quality isn't as good as Lulu, and the prices are usually higher, sometimes significantly so.

That said, in general, the Canadian penchant for mediocrity is not an illusion, as is clearly displayed in our politics, infrastructure, media, banking, business and public attitudes. Furthermore, it's clearly present in the Canadian "spirit". Our culture is one of merely being satisfied. "Peace, Order and Good Government" is the national motto, as opposed to "Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness".

Apologies for my digressions.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads