• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dacks and other Canadian shoe brands

lbgradwell

Reaction score
Very cool post on a new-to-me manufacturer!

They must have had the contract to produce the Strathcona boot from at least 1950 thru to their demise in 1974, when Hartt started their run through to 1998.

We can say Slater was (probably) the first manufacturer of the Strathcona boot. Your boots show Mac & L had a contract (could contracts overlap, I wonder?) by 1950 and Hartt by 1974. But I'm not sure if we can rule out other makers presenting themselves between Slater and Mac & L or between Mac & L and Hartt. Hartt certainly still made the boots in 1997. And, as you know, the Alberta Boot Company is the current manufacturer.

Regardless, here is an ad from 1942 encouraging the purchase of War Bonds and showing at least some of the Quebec-based shoemakers of the day.

Quebec Shoe Makers 1942.jpg

And, Mac & L came to the rescue of the insecure, vertically-challenged men of 1947:

MacFarlane-LeFaivre 1947.jpg

Jiqea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The McHale are 9.5E??? If you ever decide you’re tired of them, those would fit me.
McHale used the US sizing system, plus I have a pair in that size that work for my feet.
Yes they are definitely 9.5 E. I will get some more photos shortly. I have been washing RCMP boots!! I need a coffee. The McHales are really nice. To me it looks like full grain leather rather than embossed, as there appears to be a lack of a consistent mechanical sort of pattern, but I will get close ups. They are really nice, heavy shoes. And they now have shoe trees!!!

lbgradwell

Reaction score
I also enjoyed an eBay acquisition today.

These 1950s John McHale gunboats are en route and I await their arrival with giddy impatience. They are 11.5D and ought to be a touch tight for me, but if the seller's measurements are accurate, they should fit. They've clearly seen a fair amount of wear, but appear to remain fundamentally solid and I look forward to giving them a thorough stripping and refinishing!

McHale 85306 Brown Wingtip Derby Brogue LGc.jpg

McHale 85306 Brown Wingtip Derby Brogue LGi.jpg

Jiqea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very cool post on a new-to-me manufacturer!

We can say Slater was (probably) the first manufacturer of the Strathcona boot. Your boots show Mac & L had a contract (could contracts overlap, I wonder?) by 1950 and Hartt by 1974. But I'm not sure if we can rule out other makers presenting themselves between Slater and Mac & L or between Mac & L and Hartt. Hartt certainly still made the boots in 1997. And, as you know, the Alberta Boot Company is the current manufacturer.

Regardless, here is an ad from 1942 encouraging the purchase of War Bonds and showing at least some of the Quebec-based shoemakers of the day.

View attachment 1121104

And, Mac & L came to the rescue of the insecure, vertically-challenged men of 1947:

View attachment 1121107
Here is a pair of Strathconas that date to 1940, and they lack the Mac & L stamp, but have a fleur de lis on the heels and a name I cant make out. Interestingly they have the seven nail waist we associate with Dacks!!! Much to learn.

These boots are currently on sale on Kijiji in London. Size 11. No connection to me other than some drool. They are virtually mint.

$_59 (1).JPG

$_59.JPG

Jiqea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I also enjoyed an eBay acquisition today.

These 1950s John McHale gunboats are en route and I await their arrival with giddy impatience. They are 11.5D and ought to be a touch tight for me, but if the seller's measurements are accurate, they should fit. They've clearly seen a fair amount of wear, but appear to remain fundamentally solid and I look forward to giving them a thorough stripping and refinishing!

View attachment 1121115

View attachment 1121117
They appear to be in really good structural condition. Please document your restoration and keep us updated here in Canadian Shoe Land!!! They are wonderful. I have a soft spot for McHale having lived in London for most of my adult life.

lbgradwell

Reaction score
Here is a pair of Strathconas that date to 1940, and they lack the Mac & L stamp, but have a fleur de lis on the heels and a name I cant make out.

Very nice. The name on the heel is Triumph...

Hartt 1940 RCMP 1b.JPG

Interestingly they have the seven nail waist we associate with Dacks!!

There may be a reason for that. Am I alone in thinking I can make out "HARTT" stamped into the leather above the date?

Hartt 1940 RCMP 1a.JPG

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes they are definitely 9.5 E. I will get some more photos shortly. I have been washing RCMP boots!! I need a coffee. The McHales are really nice. To me it looks like full grain leather rather than embossed, as there appears to be a lack of a consistent mechanical sort of pattern, but I will get close ups. They are really nice, heavy shoes. And they now have shoe trees!!!

After a few more looks, I am obligated to say that the shoes are hideous.

They would not fit in the collection of a fine gentleman such as yourself.

In order to maintain your reputation and integrity, I will do what every good shoe friend does - I will happily take them off your hands.

Because that’s what shoe friends do. You can hold off on the Nobel Peace prize. I am just doing my small part.

Paul902

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Paul902

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I need a coffee, too. If I come over do you have one for me!??

Very nice. The name on the heel is Triumph...

View attachment 1121134

There may be a reason for that. Am I alone in thinking I can make out "HARTT" stamped into the leather above the date?

View attachment 1121135

So, Fred, I think that LG is onto something. I think in your picture you can make out "HARTT". So, you better bottom out the history if Hartt was making Strathcona in 1940 with Fleur de Lis heels, and with Dack's nail pattern. War time collaboration? What is going on??

Jiqea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I need a coffee, too. If I come over do you have one for me!??

So, Fred, I think that LG is onto something. I think in your picture you can make out "HARTT". So, you better bottom out the history if Hartt was making Strathcona in 1940 with Fleur de Lis heels, and with Dack's nail pattern. War time collaboration? What is going on??

You are a tea guy. Coffee would just keep you up.

I think it says Hartt too. That is cool. Triumph heels. I am lost.

Jiqea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here is a pair of Strathconas that date to 1940, and they lack the Mac & L stamp, but have a fleur de lis on the heels and a name I cant make out. Interestingly they have the seven nail waist we associate with Dacks!!! Much to learn.

These boots are currently on sale on Kijiji in London. Size 11. No connection to me other than some drool. They are virtually mint.

View attachment 1121126

View attachment 1121127

Here are the boots from 1940. Maybe they were being produced for the army, but this style does not fit with anything I have seen from that era, except for the RCMP of course.

$_59 (3).JPG

$_59 (2).JPG

Last edited:

Paul902

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Jiqea those Strathcona boots are really, really something. I did not properly appreciate them until I saw them in the flesh. So much boot, so many eyelets, such amazing condition and workmanship, such graceful curves on their instep, from heel to ankle, and ankle through their calves. Leather poetry! Imagine if you saw them with the warm early morning light bouncing off the floor to illuminate them from below in an orange glow, the shadow of their laces seductively caressing the uppers, first coffee of the day in your hand. You might be taken. You just might....

PF1_1571.JPG

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads