• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cycling Clothing

dl20

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lance wore mid-calf socks alot.

Whatever shorts you get make sure it is a natural, 1 piece chamois. A century on a synthetic 2 piece cham will have you walking funny for a while.
dl

Coho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Depends on location and season. Normally, I'd go with bibs, short sleeve jersey. Winter training, I'd go with knee covers, booties, and maybe a vest or windbreaker.

Originally Posted by Elvis809
Hey,
I'm new to cycling. What clothing do you recommend? Skin suits? Bibs? Or Bike Shorts with Jersey? I grew up on swimming & wrestling teams so wearing something form fitting is not problem. I just want to wear something comfortable, useful and look good in it.
Any ideas?
Jim

max232

Reaction score
Hey,
I'm new to cycling. What clothing do you recommend? Skin suits? Bibs? Or Bike Shorts with Jersey? I grew up on swimming & wrestling teams so wearing something form fitting is not problem. I just want to wear something comfortable, useful and look good in it.
Any ideas?
Jim

Me tooo ...
biggrin.gif

Merckx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fashion Savant
I wear Jerseys and Bike Shorts, but I'm a fair weather biker.
The brands I like are
Nike Dry Fit
Hind
Pearl Izumi - They have great affordable shorts

I have a hind tank top that I wear as a base layer during cold weather riding. I absolutely love this piece of gear. I've had it for many years, it's kind of like the old flannel shirt you wear on your camping trips every year. It's very comfortable and does a great job of wickering away moisture from your skin.

Elvis809

Reaction score
Thanks everyone so much. I'm shopping around.
A friend gave me a Pearl Ezumi skinsuit so I wore it out and about.
It felt good- clean and smooth as I rode.
I'll keep it but I am going to go for the bibs.
Thanks all!
Elvis

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I second (or third, or whatever) the bib recommendation.
I found them to be far more comfortable than shorts.
I also second the recommendation to think about your knicks/bib first, and your jersey second.
Really, there's not too much difference between good jerseys, but if you find a pair of knicks or bibs that really suit you, it will make all the difference to your enjoyment of cycling.

Campagnolo gear is good, but expensive. Pearl Izumi is less expensive and also pretty good.

Brad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My personal preference is for bibs. The bib suspender stops the shorts from sliding down during long rides. I have a few pairs of bibs and would say that Santini, Assos, and Sugoi are my favorites.

Mentos

Reaction score
Ignoring the poster who resurrected this thread, has anyone ever used wool jerseys? They have them on the Rivendell site now, and while faddish (though Rivendell would of course argue that it's an anti-fad) they do look pretty cool, and I'm not immune to Rivendell's marketing ploys (disguised as strident anti-marketingism). I'm wondering about breathability and durability.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mentos
Ignoring the poster who resurrected this thread, has anyone ever used wool jerseys? They have them on the Rivendell site now, and while faddish (though Rivendell would of course argue that it's an anti-fad) they do look pretty cool, and I'm not immune to Rivendell's marketing ploys (disguised as strident anti-marketingism). I'm wondering about breathability and durability.

In the winter I wear a merino wool sweater that the moths got to. It's pretty comfortable and isn't stinky.
I wear a regular jersey over it for the pockets.

I just toss it in the washer (gentle cycle, woolite) with the rest of my cycling stuff. It's held up pretty well.

clarity

Reaction score
Hey, I'm new to cycling. What clothing do you recommend? Skin suits? Bibs? Or Bike Shorts with Jersey? I grew up on swimming & wrestling teams so wearing something form fitting is not problem. I just want to wear something comfortable, useful and look good in it. Any ideas? Jim
I use form fitting stuff leftover from the teams I was on when I used to xc race. It's more comfortable than anything baggy and doesn't snag on wildlife if you do mountain biking. And it breathes so much better. You wouldn't want to wear anything baggy for road cycling either, it would flap in the wind creating resistance and just be annoying. Basically buy yourself a jersey or two depending on how often you ride. A fancy jersey covered in logos isn't necessary, they make plain ones too. And get a pair of the tights if you choose to go this way. If not they have cycling shorts, just make sure it's got some kind of padding for your butt. You will also want a pair of cycling gloves and maybe a sweatband. Make sure it's a thin one so it fits under your helmet. Your local bike shop can hook you up with everything you need and I suggest you form a good relationship with the employees there. They are very helpful and can let you know about group rides and activities in the future in addition to the latest bike parts.

doink

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mentos

I had a few of the original swobo jerseys back in the day, they where great for spring and fall riding and just ok for summer. I also wore them as a layer when skiing and really liked them.

If I was going for wool, I think I'd try earth wind and rider (https://www.ewnr.com/site/dept_page.asp?id=27) or boure (http://www.boure.com/jerseysmen.html)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads