• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DTberry

Reaction score
Finally got my order into bakers for my smoke jumpers. since I ordered pretty normal boots I hope it's closer to the 4 week time line instead of six!

motojobobo

Reaction score
I just received my first pair of White's!! Placed my order with Baker´s on March 4th and received them on April 20th, so 46 days. It is a pretty straightforward makeup in distressed smooth. Only the gusset tongue is a different leather and color. I asked for a half sole and a half slip, as I don't like the look of the heel sliced through by the rubber sole and the half slip gives balance to the width of the overall outsole, especially at the midpoint.

The build-a-boot tool didn´t allow specification of a half sole (a 705) and a darker gusset, so I had to email Kyle a couple times to get that included; but the standard report doesn´t reflect those differences. Kyle was great helping me out with sizing and finally figuring out my order.

I'll post pictures as soon as I get my hands on them as I'm away now. Really looking forward to testing the arch support.

1 x White's Smoke Jumper Standard Last - $444.95
SKU: 400

• Leather 1: Distressed Smooth
  • Leather 2: Distressed Smooth
  • Toe Vamp Leather: Distressed Smooth
  • Toe Cap Leather: None
  • Celastic Toe Box: None
  • Safety Toe: No Thanks
  • Heel Counter Leather: Distressed Smooth
  • Height: 8"
  • Upper (Shaft) Leather : Distressed Smooth
  • Leather Liner: No Thanks
  • Sole Trim: Standard Trim
  • Top: Cut
  • Back Stay Leather: Distressed Smooth
  • Pull Loop: Yes
  • Eyelet Color: Antique
  • Eyelet Configuration : Hook and Eyelet
  • Top Garment: Hook
  • Lace Design: Plain Toe
  • Lace: Leather
  • False Tongue: Distressed Smooth
  • Sole: Vib 700
  • Half Slip: Yes
  • Heel Shape: Curve
  • Heel Height: Standard
  • Last: Standard
  • Midsole: Standard
  • Midsole/Edge Color: Natural
  • Size - Length: 10
  • Size - Width: C

meso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I"m so disappointed that they don't make the retro oxford anymore.

I love mine and after nearly a year, if I could I would order at least one more pair.

You and me both! The 4-eyelet version I have is sick.

Asmawis Kamba

Reaction score
hellow..new member here with new White's Bounty Hunter Boots..cheers..

arrived home last week..still not on my feet yet as i am aboard this time..can wait until Monday when i get home.

phantomx48

Reaction score
Welcome, and really nice pair you got there! Can you let us know what the makeup is? That perforated toe cap looks great.

Asmawis Kamba

Reaction score
it was order from baker on 18 feb and got it exactly 8 weeks from the date order..

here is the spec for my pairs

• Last: Semi Dress (Bounty Hunter)
  • Counter Leather: Brown Bull Hide
  • Toe Vamp Leather: Natural Chrome Excel by Horween
  • Upper (Shaft) Leather: Natural Chrome Excel by Horween
  • Leather Liner: red
  • Pull Loops: Leather Pull Loops
  • Celastic Toe Box: Double Celastic Toe
  • Toe Cap: Medallion Toe Cap
  • Toe Cap Leather Color: Brown Bull Hide
  • Steel Toe: No Thanks
  • Hardware: Antique Eyes & Hooks
  • Top: Rolled Top
  • Midsole: Double
  • Edge: Brown
  • Heel Base: 90 Degree Blocked off Heel (Traveler)
  • Heel Lifts: Standard
  • Sole: Vibram Composition Half Sole
  • Size - Length: 10.5
  • Size - Width: E
asking for red liner but its come with brown..but no hustle with that...

BTarnowski

Reaction score
Like many, I'm a long time lurker, and first time poster. I just received my first pair of White's Bounty Hunters in Black Dress Leather a day ago. I know that the fit conversation is almost arbitrary, but I'm looking for insight from the forum after noticing a few fit issues with my first pair, and how best to proceed. Also, please keep in mind that this is my first pair of any sort of "nice" boot or shoe. I've never owned fancy leather shoes of any sort. I had Kyle evaluate my tracings and he recommended a 10D for both feet. I normally wear a 10.5 or 11 in most sneakers. I recently bought a pair of nice Scarpa hiking/backpacking boots that fit beautifully in a 10.5(normal width). There is a little extra wiggle room in the heel when wearing the thinnest socks.

My main questions/concerns, and where I'm trying to get some context on fit are:
- Overall, they seemingly feel too big. However, I notice the "biggness" mostly in the heel cup area. The heel can freely move in all directions when standing still. When walking, I don not notice much slipping, but clearly there is excess room in the heel area when standing or sitting. I have the boots tied tightly which might be why I'm not noticing the heel space much while walking, but only when I'm actively trying to move my foot around.
- I have about a thumb and a half of space from my big toe to the front of boot. I've read that a thumb is the optimal size. Again, I have tons of free room to wiggle my toes around up front, but I don't notice too much slippage when walking around.
- Bottom line, these boots feel very comfortable out of the box. Way more comfortable than I was expecting based on all the nightmare stories I've read. However, I was expecting them to fit much more tightly out of the box... which is why I'm conflicted on whether these in fact are the best fit for me. Also, I've only given them maybe a mile or two of light walking around my neighborhood, so nothing too strenuous like walking up and down hills etc etc.

***I suppose my main question is, based on other's experience, are the issues I'm describing sounding clearly like I would be better suited with a smaller size? Should they really be borderline too tight so that they stretch and conform? Or should I keep in mind that they feel comfortable out of the box and not get too obsessed with the fit?

***Lastly, I did speak with Brandon at Baker's and he said that one option could be sending them back to Bakers to have the heel clamped to be made smaller. I also asked about putting some leather in the heel area to help shorten the boot some as well, which sounds a little unconventional but he said could probably be done. Does this sound stupid? Do I simply need a smaller size, or better to slightly customize the fit of a boot that is a touch too big, rather than small?

Thanks for anyone's insight. Such a big investment that of course I want to nail the sizing, yet at the same time waiting another 4-6 weeks for a new pair is frustrating.

Whirling

Reaction score

Like many, I'm a long time lurker, and first time poster. I just received my first pair of White's Bounty Hunters in Black Dress Leather a day ago. I know that the fit conversation is almost arbitrary, but I'm looking for insight from the forum after noticing a few fit issues with my first pair, and how best to proceed. Also, please keep in mind that this is my first pair of any sort of "nice" boot or shoe. I've never owned fancy leather shoes of any sort. I had Kyle evaluate my tracings and he recommended a 10D for both feet. I normally wear a 10.5 or 11 in most sneakers. I recently bought a pair of nice Scarpa hiking/backpacking boots that fit beautifully in a 10.5(normal width). There is a little extra wiggle room in the heel when wearing the thinnest socks.

My main questions/concerns, and where I'm trying to get some context on fit are:
- Overall, they seemingly feel too big. However, I notice the "biggness" mostly in the heel cup area. The heel can freely move in all directions when standing still. When walking, I don not notice much slipping, but clearly there is excess room in the heel area when standing or sitting. I have the boots tied tightly which might be why I'm not noticing the heel space much while walking, but only when I'm actively trying to move my foot around.
- I have about a thumb and a half of space from my big toe to the front of boot. I've read that a thumb is the optimal size. Again, I have tons of free room to wiggle my toes around up front, but I don't notice too much slippage when walking around.
- Bottom line, these boots feel very comfortable out of the box. Way more comfortable than I was expecting based on all the nightmare stories I've read. However, I was expecting them to fit much more tightly out of the box... which is why I'm conflicted on whether these in fact are the best fit for me. Also, I've only given them maybe a mile or two of light walking around my neighborhood, so nothing too strenuous like walking up and down hills etc etc.

***I suppose my main question is, based on other's experience, are the issues I'm describing sounding clearly like I would be better suited with a smaller size? Should they really be borderline too tight so that they stretch and conform? Or should I keep in mind that they feel comfortable out of the box and not get too obsessed with the fit?

***Lastly, I did speak with Brandon at Baker's and he said that one option could be sending them back to Bakers to have the heel clamped to be made smaller. I also asked about putting some leather in the heel area to help shorten the boot some as well, which sounds a little unconventional but he said could probably be done. Does this sound stupid? Do I simply need a smaller size, or better to slightly customize the fit of a boot that is a touch too big, rather than small?

Thanks for anyone's insight. Such a big investment that of course I want to nail the sizing, yet at the same time waiting another 4-6 weeks for a new pair is frustrating.

I have difficulties finding the right fit in boots. I have not had the nightmares of breaking in White's that some people have had.

It is incredibly hard for anyone to judge the fit of your boots remotely. Feet are irregularly-shaped three dimensional objects that move dynamically, and swell and contract. Different people's gaits make boots feel differently even if the feet are similarly sized and shaped.

The ankle does sound a tad loose, but it may not be an issue if they don't cause you pain. Could you try thicker socks or are you already wearing them with thicker socks? Heel cups for people with heel pain (plantar fasciitis) might fill up the area too.

Having plenty of room in front of your longest toe is normally not an issue, as long as the ball of your foot falls in the right place in the boot, which should be the widest place in your boot. Remember some footwear is made with long pointy tips that obviously are supposed to extend way beyond one's toes.

SuperFeet Yellow inserts work well in White's boots...I have some for some White's I bought which are a touch wide for me...the inserts work well...

The folks at Baker are great, so continue to work with them and follow their suggestions. Also, if you can walk around in your boots comfortably in all the conditions for which you bought them, then they probably fit well enough. Maybe they are a bit long or wide, or maybe the last isn't ideal for your foot shape, but that doesn't mean they won't work out for you.

TH3515

Reaction score
it was order from baker on 18 feb and got it exactly 8 weeks from the date order..

here is the spec for my pairs

• Last: Semi Dress (Bounty Hunter)
  • Counter Leather: Brown Bull Hide
  • Toe Vamp Leather: Natural Chrome Excel by Horween
  • Upper (Shaft) Leather: Natural Chrome Excel by Horween
  • Leather Liner: red
  • Pull Loops: Leather Pull Loops
  • Celastic Toe Box: Double Celastic Toe
  • Toe Cap: Medallion Toe Cap
  • Toe Cap Leather Color: Brown Bull Hide
  • Steel Toe: No Thanks
  • Hardware: Antique Eyes & Hooks
  • Top: Rolled Top
  • Midsole: Double
  • Edge: Brown
  • Heel Base: 90 Degree Blocked off Heel (Traveler)
  • Heel Lifts: Standard
  • Sole: Vibram Composition Half Sole
  • Size - Length: 10.5
  • Size - Width: E
asking for red liner but its come with brown..but no hustle with that...
Very cool boot - kick zombies in style! From the first picture you posted above (the frontal view) the toe box almost looked like a swing last to me – in a good way. I guess that the many layers of material around the toe (2x celastic, bullhide cap, lining + the CXL vamp) add up to give the front of the boot more perceived volume.

daizawaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I was recommended a 10D by Whites, 9 1/2D by Bakers, and now fit well into a 9D. I`m a UK 8 1/2E, Bannock 9. The boots should not have too much wiggle room. Have you tried a thicker pair of socks? Maybe a in-sole? But from what I hear it would seem that the boot is probably too big. Send it back, or try and get to a store with your size, or give measurements of your foot here, and your size, and try and get reader feedback. But you cant beat a brick and mortar store to get fitted.

Royteane

Reaction score
Honestly, I have special socks to be with Whites SD SJ. A little bit thicker than what I use with Nicks and far thicker than others including AE. For your ref, I'm 10E Brannock and 9.5e in both Whites Nicks

trvlr472

Reaction score
I have 3 pairs of White's. All of them fit perfectly except for the heel. I have the exact same "problem" you do. It's there. The slightly loose feeling in the heel area but it really isn't a problem for me since I have owned all three pairs for roughly 2+ years. When I get one of the pairs resoled I will most probably call Bakers to have it done and ask them to clamp the heel. I'll see how it works out on the first pair and then decide on the other two. White's are work boots and are intended and built to use with thicker socks. I would try different socks and thicknesses before I had the heels clamped if it were me. That's what I am doing. The slightly loose heel isn't a problem for me because I wear different thicknesses of socks with all three pairs. Furthermore with White's, at least in my experience if you have a pair you don't use for a week or two they are tight but loosen up once you put them on for a while. I change between the three pairs that I own and they are different in fit after they sit for a week.
My suggestion is wear youre's on and off for a while before you have any modifications done. If they are way too loose right now in the heel then they probably need a "heel clamp" but if they fit perfect everywhere else then I'd wait a while until they are well worn in if it's not really bothersome. The boot will stretch, not shrink especially in the heel area. That is my experience at least.
One last thing. White's and those that sell them say that the length will shrink as time goes on. I've read posters on this forum that laugh at that thought but, believe it or not, the first pair of Whites that I bought which were SJ's "seem" to have "shortened up". I "think" they are almost 3 years old. I would surmise that it depends on where and how you wear them. All of my White's are worn in the winter for about 8 months out of the year and are regularly worn in snow and wet conditions. I do clean, oil an LP them fairly regularly for this type of use. You have to get a feel for when they need it and when they don't. The leather should feel just "barely" oily if you will. When I run my fingers across the leather and feel it is dry I oil them and if it's winter time I LP them if I know I'm going to be walking around in deep snow where they get wet and then dried by the floorboard heat in the truck repeatedly.

ywj37931

Reaction score

waiting time 26days
White's Smoke Jumper Standard Last
  • Leather 1: Black Chrome Excel by Horween
  • Leather 2: Black Chrome Excel by Horween
  • Toe Vamp Leather: Black Chrome Excel by Horween
  • Toe Cap Leather: Black Chrome Excel by Horween
  • Celastic Toe Box: Single
  • Heel Counter Leather: Black Chrome Excel by Horween
  • Height: 6"
  • Upper (Shaft) Leather : Black Chrome Excel by Horween
  • Leather Liner: Cream
  • Sole Trim: Close Trim
  • Back Stay Leather: Black Chrome Excel by Horween
  • Eyelet Color: Brass
  • False Tongue: Black Chrome Excel by Horween
  • Sole: Leather
  • Half Slip: No
  • Heel Shape: Block
  • Last: 461 Classic Last
  • Midsole/Edge Color: Brown
  • Size - Length: 9
1.modify to medallion style 2.lower heel base 1/4 - block heel height 3.no white's logo

BTarnowski

Reaction score
@Whirling @trvlr472 @Royteane @daizawaguy Thank you all for the input.

I've sent my boots back and am back in talks with the guys at Baker's. I tried some thicker socks and it became clear that I definitely need to size down because the thicker socks helped but still felt like the boot was big. Also, I spend more of my year in warm to hot conditions so I'm trying to avoid wearing super thick socks with my Whites. Right now I am battling how far to size down both in length and width, but I think I should be able to get that sorted with the guys at Baker's.

Just curiously, I am posting a photo to show where the tip of my toe is relative to the top of the boot. How do yours compare? Based on this, it seems like these boots were about a half of a thumb too long or about 3/8 to 1/2 inch. The ball of my foot was close to landing to the widest part of the boot, not quite as far off as my toe... I would guess about 1/4 inch from proper positioning. This is partially why I'm a little on the fence to size down from 10D to 9.5 or all the way to 9.

trvlr472

Reaction score

waiting time 26days
White's Smoke Jumper Standard Last
  • Leather 1: Black Chrome Excel by Horween
  • Leather 2: Black Chrome Excel by Horween
  • Toe Vamp Leather: Black Chrome Excel by Horween
  • Toe Cap Leather: Black Chrome Excel by Horween
  • Celastic Toe Box: Single
  • Heel Counter Leather: Black Chrome Excel by Horween
  • Height: 6"
  • Upper (Shaft) Leather : Black Chrome Excel by Horween
  • Leather Liner: Cream
  • Sole Trim: Close Trim
  • Back Stay Leather: Black Chrome Excel by Horween
  • Eyelet Color: Brass
  • False Tongue: Black Chrome Excel by Horween
  • Sole: Leather
  • Half Slip: No
  • Heel Shape: Block
  • Last: 461 Classic Last
  • Midsole/Edge Color: Brown
  • Size - Length: 9
1.modify to medallion style 2.lower heel base 1/4 - block heel height 3.no white's logo

Those are beautiful! Don't wear them! Put 'em on a shelf somewhere and just polish them once in a while. I've got the Horween on the uppers of the last boots I ordered. If you're not going to abuse them the Horween is real nice stuff. It is more "fragile". However, I wondered for a long time why so many ordered a complete boot with the Horween. Now I know. It's really nice and comfy for a casual boot and the "break in" is a breeze. I don't know what your feet are like but I have wide, flat feet and that Classic last that is on my CWB's is REAL nice. I can feel the arch but it is just "barely" there. The Swing Last is the same but slightly more pronounced on another pair. The SJ's I have are nice as well but I installed thin, glue in spacers on them when they were new. The arch was just too much but they are nice as well. To tell you the truth the Classic Last and the Swing Last are both tied for first with me. I can't decide but the Swing just might edge out the Classic because it does have "slightly" more arch support. Which is good.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads