• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

niktak11

Reaction score
@niktak11 Just one data point, but I wear the same size in the SD and the Iron Rangers, 9D.

i wear an 11.5D in Red Wing Beckmans and Moc Toe 6 inchers and the 11.5D White's is the best fitting boot i've owned.
Thanks for the help. It sounds like I'd probably be fine with ordering the same size as my iron rangers; however, I discovered that Baker's is only an hour away from where I live so I'll probably try to make it out there and get fitted in person.

Whirling

Reaction score

Thanks for the help. It sounds like I'd probably be fine with ordering the same size as my iron rangers; however, I discovered that Baker's is only an hour away from where I live so I'll probably try to make it out there and get fitted in person. 

I wish I lived an hour away from Baker's...getting fit in person is always the best route...Call and make sure Kyle will be there when you go...he is on vacation at moment, I believe.

Engineer05

Reaction score
I think the LP makes roughout look a little like the waxed flesh. It's not a bad look IMO, but I have to agree that I'll will change the roughout look for ever.

It also depends on how much conditioner is applied. I've used Effax Lederbalsam (avocado oil & beeswax, so very similar to LP) on a few pairs of RO shoes, and the key to maintaining the nap is using as little as necessary to condition the leather. I also scrub it on with an old toothbrush, rather than using a cloth, and that helps to maintain the nap. I've used the same product, in greater quantities on some waxed flesh Vibergs, and it takes a lot longer for the nap to return.

Here's a pic of some RO Viberg Oxfords shortly after being conditioned. The nap fully returned a few weeks afterward and with some brushing.

onimpulse

Reaction score
And the Classic Work Boots in Brown Smooth. Just over a year old. Heel cap needs to be replaced but I'll probably just send them in for a full resole onto a Vibram 430. Don't understand why that isn't an option as stock.

And the I got them vs now. Side by side the color change looks a lot more drastic than it really is but the color has definitely become more subdued with wear.

Whirling

Reaction score
Nice! Making me wish I had gotten my Brown Distressed Swing Last Bounty Hunters at 8" instead of 6"

Most of us are looking for excuses to get more pairs; now you have another one. :)

Also, I'm told most men can get by with 6", except if they're making movies or something like that.

Royteane

Reaction score
What's the benefit of higher ankle boots? I got really difficulty to drive my car in just 6".

PaintSplattered

Reaction score
Regarding the height of boots, 6" boots hit my ankle bones in an awkward spot and it can be quite painful simply trying them on.

I had some 7" boots I used for work for years and that seems to be the minimum I needed if I wanted to go higher than a shoe.

offrd63fj40

Reaction score
What's the benefit of higher ankle boots? I got really difficulty to drive my car in just 6".
If your doing anything where ankle support comes into play the difference in 6" to 10' is night and day. On days when I working on ladders for any length of time, my 10" smoke jumpers are all that's holding me up after a couple of hours. Same job in my 6" bounty hunters ends up kicking my butt. You can just feel the extra support when lacing up a taller boot, and yea, they look cool enough for the movies. :)

sault

Reaction score
Regarding White's Semi Dress and Iron Rangers I wear an 8.5d in White's and an 8d in the Iron Rangers (8111 and 8119. I do wear an 8.5d in the Red Wing Foreman's Oxford which shares the same last as the Iron Ranger but the shoes seem to fit a little smaller than the boots.

Whirling

Reaction score

Regarding White's Semi Dress and Iron Rangers I wear an 8.5d in White's and an 8d in the Iron Rangers (8111 and 8119.  I do wear an 8.5d in the Red Wing Foreman's Oxford which shares the same last as the Iron Ranger but the shoes seem to fit a little smaller than the boots.

I wear the same size, length-wise, in RW Iron Rangers and Foreman Oxfords, as well as White's Semi-Dress. However, with all of them, I am really between two lengths (9.5 and 10). Things get complicated for me because my feet are a little narrow and low volume. I found the C width in Semi-Dresses feel significantly more comfortable than D width...I also have long arches/short toes...between all these factors I am learning I do better with longer footwear in narrower widths. Extra room in the toe really doesn't cause a problem for me, which I have heard is generally the case, especially with boots. A number of boot manufacturers explicitly say you should have at least 5/8ths of an inch in front of your longest toe.

All the sizong advice in the world will not guarantee you get the right size...at best it will only get you within a half-size. Then, even if it is the "right size," a certain pair of footwear may just not work well for you, comfort-wise. Also, unless you try on a couple different sizes, you really won't know which feels best for you. There is no replacement for a well-stocked brick and mortar store.

Although I have heard about people getting excellent results with sending in their tracings, I have also heard the opposite.

For White's, I have had good luck buying through Kyle at bakershoe.com. He knows a lot and will work to make sure you are satisfied.

JakeVooDoo

Reaction score

Little over a month of light use. I haven't had very many days outside of the office so they still look new. Yesterday I was asked if I was a Lineman, from a retired Lineman. We then had a 15 minute discussion on boots and how his White's (serious lineman working boots) were still in great shape after 20 years. He did talk about how they measured his foot with a plaster, to get a true measurement of his feet.

Anyone on this forum, have a mold made of their foot and got a pair of White's truly custom?
Why don't they do that today, instead of the tape measure and tracings?

Seems like you would have a truly custom boot with a mold cast of your feet. Any way, they are GREAT! Changes with my next pair of White's or Nick's is a more grippy sole, probably a 430 Vibram. I went with these 296 Vibram due to a better flex for a more comfortable walking boot, and really like how well they flex and are great but tried to walk up a step grade of wet grass, and kept slipping. They only other 'change' to these boots are the false tongue, it is too short and Kyle has sent out a longer one. Hopefully be here thise week. Need to get my laces tight to keep my boots from eating my socks.

Any one here have issues with White's eating your socks as you walk a mile or more?

Not a big deal, probably need new socks, (Costco black thin dress socks) as mine are old and have stretched out a bit. I'm using a thin sock to start with the thinking the leather will stretch less and have more 'give' over time.

Comfort:
Still like walking on a roll of penny's, but using the leather inserts make it easy to wear them all day and not have to give my feet a break any more. So it is getting better, not there yet, but the summer is coming and my feet get hot so I think after a week of 100' heat my feet will bake them in quite nicely.

Over all impressions after a month:
Still amazed at how well they are made, (Nicest boot I have ever owned) and how well they are fitted. I have wide feet FFFF and you can see from the pictures they are perfectly wide enough for my feet. My choice of Vibram isn't a popular one, but I'm still liking how they move and flex with my feet. The sole isn't nearly as solid as some of the other Vibram options, but I think for my light duty needs they are perfect. and still should last years before they need to be resoled. I highly recommend White's to anyone wanting a quality boot.

mr. burns

Reaction score
2 months of heavy use with my bounty hunters. they're darker than jakevoodoo's because they were initially treated with a light coat of obenauf's as they get wet and dirty from work a bit.

Last edited:

Sinkalip

Reaction score

Little over a month of light use. I haven't had very many days outside of the office so they still look new. Yesterday I was asked if I was a Lineman, from a retired Lineman. We then had a 15 minute discussion on boots and how his White's (serious lineman working boots) were still in great shape after 20 years. He did talk about how they measured his foot with a plaster, to get a true measurement of his feet.

Anyone on this forum, have a mold made of their foot and got a pair of White's truly custom?
Why don't they do that today, instead of the tape measure and tracings?

Seems like you would have a truly custom boot with a mold cast of your feet. Any way, they are GREAT! Changes with my next pair of White's or Nick's is a more grippy sole, probably a 430 Vibram. I went with these 296 Vibram due to a better flex for a more comfortable walking boot, and really like how well they flex and are great but tried to walk up a step grade of wet grass, and kept slipping. They only other 'change' to these boots are the false tongue, it is too short and Kyle has sent out a longer one. Hopefully be here thise week. Need to get my laces tight to keep my boots from eating my socks.

Any one here have issues with White's eating your socks as you walk a mile or more?

Not a big deal, probably need new socks, (Costco black thin dress socks) as mine are old and have stretched out a bit. I'm using a thin sock to start with the thinking the leather will stretch less and have more 'give' over time.

Comfort:
Still like walking on a roll of penny's, but using the leather inserts make it easy to wear them all day and not have to give my feet a break any more. So it is getting better, not there yet, but the summer is coming and my feet get hot so I think after a week of 100' heat my feet will bake them in quite nicely.

Over all impressions after a month:
Still amazed at how well they are made, (Nicest boot I have ever owned) and how well they are fitted. I have wide feet FFFF and you can see from the pictures they are perfectly wide enough for my feet. My choice of Vibram isn't a popular one, but I'm still liking how they move and flex with my feet. The sole isn't nearly as solid as some of the other Vibram options, but I think for my light duty needs they are perfect. and still should last years before they need to be resoled. I highly recommend White's to anyone wanting a quality boot.

I went to Spokane and was measured in the store a few months ago, all they did was use a Brannock and tape measure to get size and width. I will probably make the trip again for a more thorough fitting, as the boots have broken in one has heel slip that's become more pronounced.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads