• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

univibe88

Reaction score

What do you guys think of a pair of 6 in. Bounty hunters in Brown Chromexcel with the toe cap and heel counter made in dress Brown leather? Would the dress brown be a little too dark for the Brown Chromexcel? Any pictures with similar leathers? Planning to get these with the Vibram 430 for my winter boot.

My only question is, respectfully, why? Added durability?

mogili222

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My only question is, respectfully, why? Added durability?
Yup.. My boots usually scrap a lot more on the toe caps and counters and I wanted something that does not scratch easily. Also my understanding is that dress leathers are easier to shine. I know a lot of people don't like to shine their boots but I like it..

univibe88

Reaction score

Yup.. My boots usually scrap a lot more on the toe caps and counters and I wanted something that does not scratch easily. Also my understanding is that dress leathers are easier to shine. I know a lot of people don't like to shine their boots but I like it.. 

Sounds good! I like the idea. The CXL will be very comfortable and the dress will take a good shine.

linafelt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yeah, sounds like a good plan actually, both for looks and function.

daizawaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it's a good idea to attain a shine. The only issue is that as time goes on they will start to look quite different. The chrome excel gets that worn out look, while the dress keeps it's smartness. The other thing is that you'd have to think if they take the same polishes or creams. Not sure on this one. All I'm saying is that after a few years of wear you will have to imagine what they could look like. But it's always fun to experiment with custom orders and even more fun to live with them. But the odd combination can lead to regret. Not talking specifically of your combination - but generally. Good luck though.

Neognosis

Reaction score
Quote:

I have to say, I picked up a pair of Chippewa Homestead boots, in black rough out, for 150 on sale. On Waikiki Beach, of all places, while on business last week.

I also will say that the quality of the Chipps are FAR above the quality of the Wolverine 1Ks I have. For 150, a person would be crazy NOT to buy Chippewa. Comfortable right out of the box.

They are not nearly as robust as a pair of Whites, but at a third of the price, you can't go wrong to add them to the rotation.

linafelt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd say the Chippewa Homestead and Service boots are up there, but not the Apache/Katahdin.

I know this is the White's forum, and we probably don't need to extend the Chippewa conversation much further here, but I will put in my final 2 cents worth: I really think the Katahdin is a strong boot. If it is the same as my older Chippewa engineers, which I am pretty sure it is. Again, I got a good 10 years of wear out of those, with two re-heelings, before the leather started to split and I decided to move on. They are a really tough, substantial boot, and while nothing fancy I like their classic "surveyor boot" look. The leather wore really nicely, getting progressively darker and smoother over about the first five years, until it finally looked worn in; but then still had several years of wear left.

I ordered not long ago a pair of the newer Homesteads to try out, and also tried on a pair of the new plain toe service boots at the store, and while both seemed fine they did not seem up to the level of my old engineers. Just a bit lighter, but also the last is different. The engineers/Katahdin are built on a classic Munson service boot last with lots of room in the toe; whereas the new Chippewas are more narrow and less roomy overall. I posted a pic on the Chippewa forum of my old boot next to the new one (same size), just to show the slight difference. I'll include it here in case anyone is interested.

Now, back to White's! Still waiting on my new SJs, which were reordered to replace the messed up horsehide SDs I got several weeks ago. Kyle said since they were replacing boots they made a mistake on that White's would probably do it much quicker than normal, maybe 3 to 4 weeks. Right now it's coming up on 5 weeks -- so should be soon...

phantomx48

Reaction score
Just an FYI: Ordered a custom pair of Semi Dress boots from Baker on April 29th, and it showed up via Fedex this morning. Can't believe it, 3 weeks! Pictures to come. . .

linafelt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just an FYI: Ordered a custom pair of Semi Dress boots from Baker on April 29th, and it showed up via Fedex this morning. Can't believe it, 3 weeks! Pictures to come. . .

Definitely a new record. I wish mine took anything close to that long.

phantomx48

Reaction score
Alright, here are the Navy CXL monsters, just in time for Cali summer, haha. But seriously, these are so comfortable, I might actually consider wearing them despite the heat. In my hands exactly 21 days after ordering, pretty remarkable!

Bingham

Reaction score

Alright, here are the Navy CXL monsters, just in time for Cali summer, haha. But seriously, these are so comfortable, I might actually consider wearing them despite the heat. In my hands exactly 21 days after ordering, pretty remarkable!

those are beauts! Did they come with those laces?

phantomx48

Reaction score

those are beauts! Did they come with those laces?

Yeah, it came with two pairs. . .they are the thickest leather boot laces I have ever used, and feel like they will last forever. This was my first White's MTO, and I am already planning my second. Everything on this boot feels like it can outlast me.

mogili222

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Nice boots..What are your build specs? Is that a double midsole I see?

LouieBailie

Reaction score
Here is just another example of the crap Whites tries to pull on unsuspecting people.

I sent them back because the hooks bent and the tongue was too small for me to get my feet in, this is what I get back.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads