• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ojaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No idea, but check the specs: #38 Swing Last - that definitely puts it into a different shape category.

metarays

Reaction score
Few questions as I start building my White's Semidress setup, help would be greatly appreciated!

- For heel, is standard the curved one and Traveler's the straight one?

- I plan on lowering the heel to fit a more Viberg feel, so would either make a difference in casual everyday wear?

- Are Antique the standard eyes and hooks most people get?

- Differences between Vibram 269 against 700 for occasional rain wear

- How would Natural Chromexcel fair in occasional rain in Souther California, meaning max 5 times a year.

ojaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Standard heel is curved.
You may or may not notice the difference, but White's makes the heel a standard height for a reason. I just got mine (see above) and though some pics may emphasize the height due to perspective or the wide lens used, in real life I can say that it does not make me think of toreros or tangos.
I went with regular brass and no hooks - it'll age on its own and I tend to rip hooks out by snagging them on cars/dogs/coffee shops et cetera.
Can't speak to the 269 v 700 thing other than to say the 269 is more discrete.
Cxl will fare much better than your Gucci loafers in the California sun.

metarays

Reaction score
Standard heel is curved.
You may or may not notice the difference, but White's makes the heel a standard height for a reason. I just got mine (see above) and though some pics may emphasize the height due to perspective or the wide lens used, in real life I can say that it does not make me think of toreros or tangos.
I went with regular brass and no hooks - it'll age on its own and I tend to rip hooks out by snagging them on cars/dogs/coffee shops et cetera.
Can't speak to the 269 v 700 thing other than to say the 269 is more discrete.
Cxl will fare much better than your Gucci loafers in the California sun.
Thanks! alright I think I will keep looking at heel heights then, just in some pics it just seems way too tall much for me.
I like the hooks because I currently have a pair of boots without them and it's a pain to take them off and put them on.
Why do you say Gucci loafers?

tavoz

Reaction score
Thank you for posting some pictures of the HH. We do not get to see them a lot.. However does HH wrinkle so much in just a month? One of the reasons I am not very fond of Chromexcel is just because how easily it wrinkles. I was hoping HH was a little less prone to wrinkles.
Well I don't know about ChXcl, but you see HH after one month of daily wear, wich is 10 hours a day, at work. I move and walk quite a lot. I really love HH, really amazing. I have no doubt about it's aging. And I guess creasing is something unavoidable on shoes... What I can say is that the suppleness of HH makes it crease in "soft" angles, I mean you don't feel like the leather is, or will, break at all.

ojaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks! alright I think I will keep looking at heel heights then, just in some pics it just seems way too tall much for me.
I like the hooks because I currently have a pair of boots without them and it's a pain to take them off and put them on.
Why do you say Gucci loafers?
I mention the loafers because as these boots are made for very tough conditions, they will basically outperform virtually all other footwear out there.
The boardwalks of Socal are no competition for the forests of the northwest or working farms, et cetera.
Being leather they will benefit from periodic cleaning and re-oiling, but there's no need to baby them.

mystlawer

Reaction score
My new burgundy chromexcel sem-dress are in from Baker's. Here's the config and pics (first photo is more color accurate):

Custom Semi Dress by White's Boots
Last Standard, Sole Leather, Size - Length 11, Hardware Brass Eyes & Hooks, Edge Natural, Upper (Shaft) Leather #8 Burgundy Chrome Excel by Horween, Midsole Single, Pull Loops No Thanks, Leather Liner Tan, Sole Trim Close Trim, Toe Vamp Leather #8 Burgundy Chrome Excel by Horween, Size - Width D (medium), Toe Cap Medallion Toe Cap, Celastic Toe Box Single Celastic Toe, Heel Base 90 Degree Blocked off Heel (Traveler)
Heel is lowered by 1/4"

bl@aster, how have these SDs held up? They are beautiful and are very close to what I am ordering. Any regrets with the choice of Chrome Excel, or the leather soles?

-<M>-

Last edited:

andy b.

Reaction score

Thanks! alright I think I will keep looking at heel heights then, just in some pics it just seems way too tall much for me. I like the hooks because I currently have a pair of boots without them and it's a pain to take them off and put them on. Why do you say Gucci loafers?
metarays, Keep in mind that there are several different White's heels. I would say the Packers are the tallest, then the SJs, then the BHs, then the SDs. I only mention this because if you're judging heel heights for a pair of SDs, it would be best to compare the heels of other SDs, and not different models.
SD Navy cxl, crappy iphone pic.
Ben, Where are the Unbranded jeans??? I've gotten used to you posting wearing them all the time. :lol: I have my UB221s on today. With Iron Rangers though instead of a pair of White's. Andy B.

Last edited:

Exdeath

Reaction score
Still (patiently) waiting on my Black Horsehide medallion toe SDs. White's actually sent them over to Baker Shoe but I asked the guys there to help me inspect and go-over them, and as a result they're trying to send the left boot back for rebuilding as it isn't too up to spec. Really appreciate their customer service!

Last edited:

metarays

Reaction score
metarays,

Keep in mind that there are several different White's heels. I would say the Packers are the tallest, then the SJs, then the BHs, then the SDs. I only mention this because if you're judging heel heights for a pair of SDs, it would be best to compare the heels of other SDs, and not different models.
Ben,

Where are the Unbranded jeans??? I've gotten used to you posting wearing them all the time.
lol8[1].gif
I have my UB221s on today. With Iron Rangers though instead of a pair of White's.

Andy B.

Ahhh alright I just want to mimc the Viberg heel look because I really like their proportions in their boots. Looking through pictures I thought the lowered heel matched the same look, but if I'm wrong I'd gladly go back to the standard heel height.

linafelt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alrighty then, got my SDs today.
The fit is good, though I think that I would have been ok without the custom option (right foot EE, left foot E)
People have talked about the Dress leather being a little plasticky, but I like it, looks tough with much potential for waby saby!
Heads up, and I didn't know this before, but the Swing last has a little less of the arch ease action going on, which is a little disappointing to me.
That being said, they are very comfortable.

linafelt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In other news, I've got to reorder my SDs (which came in with the wrong sole and wrong size, see above..). I may change up the build just a bit, and am trying to decide now between black smooth or oil tan, black dress, and black CXL. I know the qualities of CXL very well, and have some reservations on longterm wear; but does anyone have any thoughts or, better, pics of black dress with some wear?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads