• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WestLinn

Reaction score
Does Drew's offer the 38 last? After 20 some years in Whites my 38 last trial balloon arrives tomorrow after 6 months in process.
I'm sorry but I can't answer. I bought my Drew's used and didn't go through their website. I would think Baker's would be able to answer, aren't Drew's owned by them? I ordered my White's directly from White's. Seems a lot of people order White's via Bakers, which are the same price. Oddly, the White's on Drews are different prices than on White's website.

WestLinn

Reaction score
Dude... 1991 was 30 years ago... I know... I know... we are old...

When I hear "30 years ago"... I still think 1970...
Ugh. Your post reminded me I saw American Graffiti, the Sting and Blazing Saddles all in their first run in the theater. I grew up wearing Justin's then. I wish they had sold White's in the western store in the sale barn where we shopped back then. I still have my Justin's from back then and can still sort of wear them (feet have gotten bigger). I have a recent pic of them if anyone wants to see them. They have the higher riding heels just like the Packers. In fact, that is why I ordered Packers, I always loved that heel.

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Legal Eagle are you an attorney?
The "other" @Legal Eagles is a hot shot east coast attorney!!
I am probably the only poor Software Engineer in these neck of the woods!!
I am by no means a "hot shot" attorney... I am much more Atticus Finch than Jonnie Cochran...

And while I am on the east coast, I am just a small town trusts and estates lawyer... rural Maine is a long way from the glitz and glamour of Boston, New York, and DC...

WestLinn

Reaction score
Justin roper boots ?
No, just cowboy boots. Back when Justin's were nice boots. I'm talking late 70s, early 80s. I suppose I could sell them as vintage now. I don't think my dad knew what White's boots were back then. If they had sold them at the cobbler or western store, he probably would have bought a pair.

plugugly88

Reaction score
Asking for some advice or reassurance, also asked on Reddit:

Got my custom Bakers Bounty Hunter’s in black horsehide recently. (Look and smell amazing). Went through the whole tracing process, speaking with Kyle and the staff for on and off for a week or so originally to find my fit, took about 5 months to receive. Just wearing them out for the first time today after trying them on for size when I recieved them.

Now I’m noticing my left foot is feeling fairly tight in the boot as time goes on today. Especially my pinky toe. The right foot fit is phenomenal since they made them 8.5 E with a EE on the ball of the foot. For reference my left boot is 8.5E, which is usually fine in all boots (my right foot is usually the difficult boot).

I’m not familiar with Horsehide leather. In comparison to my iron ranger 8085’s, these feel noticeably thicker. Should I stick with breaking this left boot in, should I ask if Bakers can adjust the left boot, or should I just bring them to a local cobbler to stretch them out?

Thank you

Jimk4003

Reaction score

Got my custom Bakers Bounty Hunter’s in black horsehide recently. (Look and smell amazing). Went through the whole tracing process, speaking with Kyle and the staff for on and off for a week or so originally to find my fit, took about 5 months to receive. Just wearing them out for the first time today after trying them on for size when I recieved them.

Now I’m noticing my left foot is feeling fairly tight in the boot as time goes on today. Especially my pinky toe. The right foot fit is phenomenal since they made them 8.5 E with a EE on the ball of the foot. For reference my left boot is 8.5E, which is usually fine in all boots (my right foot is usually the difficult boot).

I’m not familiar with Horsehide leather. In comparison to my iron ranger 8085’s, these feel noticeably thicker. Should I stick with breaking this left boot in, should I ask if Bakers can adjust the left boot, or should I just bring them to a local cobbler to stretch them out?

Thank you
Baker's have a fit guarantee, so I'd just tell them what you've written here and see what they say.

Personally, I never count on boots 'stretching' as part of the break-in, as it's hugely overstated. That's doubly true with horsehide, which really doesn't stretch much at all.

Since the whole point of the custom fit process and the fit guarantee is to ensure you don't need to compromise on fit, I'd just take advantage of the service you've already paid for and go back to Bakers. One way or another, they'll sort you out.

Luscombe

Reaction score

Thank you
Let us know what Kyle says. He will stand behind his guarantee. That said, with his permission, you may want to continue to wear them and see how they adjust to your foot. It is easy enough to have Kyle stretch them. The shipping both ways and wait time can be frustrating depending upon where you are located. Two years ago I purchased a pair of MP's in HH. They fit pretty tight at first. If I laced them tight, my right metatarsal was pinched so much I could not walk. My left foot was just really snug but not painful. It took about 25-30 miles of walking in them to get the leather more pliable and soft. There was a little give in the leather as it molded to my feet and they became very comfortable and pliable. It did not stretch in the sense of how CXL stretches. They are snug now and feel just great. I can still over-tighten them to make my right foot painful if I try.

Not sure how tight yours are or if they are painful to wear, but I don't think it would hurt to continue to break them in if you can do it without pain.

As an aside, I took delivery of a pair of BH in CXL, the same size as the MP's, and they fit very snug at first but after a month or so and 25-30 miles, they are super comfy. The CXL leather is, I think, stretching a little. I like how it feels but the HH is much better leather IMO and I doubt I will order another CXL boot.

Either way, you don't have anything to worry about regarding getting them to fit. It is just the process to get you there.

I am patiently waiting for a pair of Stevens in the Maryam Natty Horsehide. Hope to see them by Fathers day.

plugugly88

Reaction score
Baker's have a fit guarantee, so I'd just tell them what you've written here and see what they say.

Personally, I never count on boots 'stretching' as part of the break-in, as it's hugely overstated. That's doubly true with horsehide, which really doesn't stretch much at all.

Since the whole point of the custom fit process and the fit guarantee is to ensure you don't need to compromise on fit, I'd just take advantage of the service you've already paid for and go back to Bakers. One way or another, they'll sort you out.

Thank you,
I’m realizing now, looking back over the original emails with bakers I’ve been mistakenly mentioning my red wing iron ranger sizing as 8.5 E and not the correct EE. At one point they asked for confirmation that my left foot was in fact single E based on my tracings. And I had done my left foot correctly tracing wise but still mentioned my red wing sizing. Regardless, I’m thinking it should just be a double E in the left foot ball as well.

In your experience do you think that’s a possiblility or something that will take considerable time and money to adjust the left boot by a width size?

Ultimately, I’m gonna get in touch with them tomorrow, but just wanted to see if you have an idea of what’s possible

Jimk4003

Reaction score
Thank you,
I’m realizing now, looking back over the original emails with bakers I’ve been mistakenly mentioning my red wing iron ranger sizing as 8.5 E and not the correct EE. At one point they asked for confirmation that my left foot was in fact single E based on my tracings. And I had done my left foot correctly tracing wise but still mentioned my red wing sizing. Regardless, I’m thinking it should just be a double E in the left foot ball as well.

In your experience do you think that’s a possiblility or something that will take considerable time and money to adjust the left boot by a width size?

Ultimately, I’m gonna get in touch with them tomorrow, but just wanted to see if you have an idea of what’s possible
They can try stretching your boots with a boot stretcher, but stretching a full width might be a bit of a push. Usually using a boot stretcher is most viable if you're between widths, and the boot you have is almost right, but just a fraction snug. Getting an E to a EE, on the other hand, would probably be expecting a bit much from a boot stretcher.

Other than that, the most likely scenario will probably be a rebuild.

That said, Bakers will know best, so see what they say first.

Abe_Room

Reaction score
Hi Fellas,

I'm new to the forum and I've been following and reading through a bunch of what was said here orient myself for my first purchase of custom leather boots.

A little background: I've had trouble buying shoes my whole life, basically, anything with a slightly pointed toe had to be bought a size or two larger, and I always figured that after breaking in a shoe it's normal that the leather or material spills over the outsole. A couple years ago I bought my first pair of "BÄR SCHUHE", which are quite frankly, clown shoes. They are made extra wide for toe space, and as such fit me without a hitch but well, they look like they do.

To the current status: I have now ordered two pairs of BH from Kyle at baker's boots.The boots are technically the same. One in Black Smooth with Commando soles for daily regular wear, the other in Distressed Smooth with Vib. 100s for out in the woods/snow (normal toe cap, not medaillon)

Leather: Black Smooth
Leather Liner: Cream
Lace Design: Plain Toe
Pull Loops: Leather Pull Loops [ $15.00 ]
Celastic Toe Box: No Thanks
Toe Cap: Medallion Dress Toe Cap [ $50.00 ]
Hardware: Nickel Eyes & Hooks
Top: Cut Top (standard)
Midsole: Single
Upper Thread Color: Factory Choice
Edge: Natural
Heel Base: Standard
Heel Lifts: 1/4"Lower
Sole: Commando Mini Lug Half Sole - Only available with single midsole
Sole Trim: Close Trim (Single Row Stitch)
Height: 7 INCH
Size - Length: 9.5
Size - Width: FF (Widest)

As you can see, Kyle suggested a 9.5 FF sizing on both of my flippers. I never considered my feet to be so extreme, and I'm just a little apprehensive.
Length R: 10 15/16 inches
Length L: 10 7/8 inches

Heel R: 14/3/8
Heel L: 14 1/4

Instep R: 10 7/16
Instep L: Same

Ball R (With foot on my knee as is advised on White's website): 10 5/8
Ball L (With foot on my knee as is advised on White's website): 10 3/16

Ball R (Sitting, foot on floor): between 10 15/16 to 11
Ball L (Sitting, foot on floor): between 10 3/4 to 10 15/16

Originally I measured my feet like white's recommends and sent those in. Kyle sized me at a 9.5 EE on left and 9.5 EEE on right. Before finalizing the order though I just wanted to be 100% sure, so I remeasured my feet, but this time on the ground since I had just watched their video and found out that's how Baker's Boots sizes feet.

Gosh this is a long post I'm probably breaking all the rules. Is 9.5 too short? Is FF too wide? Is my heel going to be swimming?

Thanks for whatever you can tell me I did wrong, did right, or still would need to post.

Widening Gyre

Reaction score
If you’ve followed the instructions, there is no reason not to trust Kyle and the Bakers. I spent a lot of time reading this thread as well as White’s reviews on Reddit before putting in my first order, and they seldom don’t get right. Even if they don’t, they’ll make it right. They really are a superb retailer.

Phalanx

Reaction score
Hi Fellas,

I'm new to the forum and I've been following and reading through a bunch of what was said here orient myself for my first purchase of custom leather boots.

A little background: I've had trouble buying shoes my whole life, basically, anything with a slightly pointed toe had to be bought a size or two larger, and I always figured that after breaking in a shoe it's normal that the leather or material spills over the outsole. A couple years ago I bought my first pair of "BÄR SCHUHE", which are quite frankly, clown shoes. They are made extra wide for toe space, and as such fit me without a hitch but well, they look like they do.

To the current status: I have now ordered two pairs of BH from Kyle at baker's boots.The boots are technically the same. One in Black Smooth with Commando soles for daily regular wear, the other in Distressed Smooth with Vib. 100s for out in the woods/snow (normal toe cap, not medaillon)

Leather: Black Smooth
Leather Liner: Cream
Lace Design: Plain Toe
Pull Loops: Leather Pull Loops [ $15.00 ]
Celastic Toe Box: No Thanks
Toe Cap: Medallion Dress Toe Cap [ $50.00 ]
Hardware: Nickel Eyes & Hooks
Top: Cut Top (standard)
Midsole: Single
Upper Thread Color: Factory Choice
Edge: Natural
Heel Base: Standard
Heel Lifts: 1/4"Lower
Sole: Commando Mini Lug Half Sole - Only available with single midsole
Sole Trim: Close Trim (Single Row Stitch)
Height: 7 INCH
Size - Length: 9.5
Size - Width: FF (Widest)

As you can see, Kyle suggested a 9.5 FF sizing on both of my flippers. I never considered my feet to be so extreme, and I'm just a little apprehensive.
Length R: 10 15/16 inches
Length L: 10 7/8 inches

Heel R: 14/3/8
Heel L: 14 1/4

Instep R: 10 7/16
Instep L: Same

Ball R (With foot on my knee as is advised on White's website): 10 5/8
Ball L (With foot on my knee as is advised on White's website): 10 3/16

Ball R (Sitting, foot on floor): between 10 15/16 to 11
Ball L (Sitting, foot on floor): between 10 3/4 to 10 15/16

Originally I measured my feet like white's recommends and sent those in. Kyle sized me at a 9.5 EE on left and 9.5 EEE on right. Before finalizing the order though I just wanted to be 100% sure, so I remeasured my feet, but this time on the ground since I had just watched their video and found out that's how Baker's Boots sizes feet.

Gosh this is a long post I'm probably breaking all the rules. Is 9.5 too short? Is FF too wide? Is my heel going to be swimming?

Thanks for whatever you can tell me I did wrong, did right, or still would need to post.

Have you ever tried on a pair of Iron Rangers? You could always get a pair of Iron Rangers in 9.5 EE; if they're too narrow you'll know that Whites in 9.5 F / FF would be good.

Abe_Room

Reaction score
Have you ever tried on a pair of Iron Rangers? You could always get a pair of Iron Rangers in 9.5 EE; if they're too narrow you'll know that Whites in 9.5 F / FF would be good.
Nah, when I started this whole process I considered iron rangers but decided not to because they felt like a compromise and I couldn't get em with vib 100s.
It would have been a good place to start I suppose, but given the closest place I could check them out is over 3 hours away...
Either way, I guess I'll see them in 3 or 4 months time.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads