• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am going to say the name of 'that' company : ). How is the arch support on Wesco boots? similar to White's?

Jimk4003

Reaction score
I am going to say the name of 'that' company : ). How is the arch support on Wesco boots? similar to White's?
Id say it's somewhere in-between a low-arch White's boot, like an MP, and a higher-arch boot, like something on the 55 last.

The arch support is also built around a curved steel shank rather than a leather one, which means that, whilst they maybe don't have the same arch height initially, the arch support is really solid over time. I actually noticed the arch support on my Wesco's started feeling slightly more pronounced over time, as your feet tend to press into the leather footbed around the balls and heel of your feet, whereas the arch section where the shank is stays nice and firm.

I'd say it's horses for courses really; White's probably edge it on pure, 'out of the box' arch height, whereas Wesco's slightly lower arch support is probably a bit more 'solid' (for want of a better word) because a big lump of steel won't ever flatten out or pack down under your foot.

Both makers use slightly different means to the same end, and both can modify lasts to fit your foot.

Jimk4003

Reaction score
As far as I’m aware, you can request a leather shank for your Wesco’s, steel shank is the standard.
You can.

I think the reason they offer leather shanks as an option is actually due to a poll on the Goodyearwelt subreddit. Several people made comments stating that steel shanks were a 'negative' against Wesco. A Wesco rep on the thread seemed genuinely curious about why a steel shank would be considered a bad thing, and basically just said, 'well, we can make them with leather shanks if you request it'. And I think a couple of people did.

I can't see what advantage requesting a leather shank in a pair of Wesco's would give you, but it's an option if you want it.

Last edited:

theofficialhung

Reaction score
Wesco doesn't use an arch support piece like White's or Nicks, in my experience it's on the level of Viberg or Red Wing (which isn't much).

My Wesco Axebreakers (basically a horsehide Hendrik with 1/4 lowered heel) have phenomenal arch support, much better than any Red Wing or Viberg I've every worn.

klank74

Reaction score
You can.

I think the reason they offer leather shanks as an option is actually due to a poll on the Goodyearwelt subreddit. Several people made comments stating that steel shanks were a 'negative' against Wesco. A Wesco rep on the thread seemed genuinely curious about why a steel shank would be considered a bad thing, and basically just said, 'well, we can make them with leather shanks if you request it'. And I think a couple of people did.

I can't see what advantage requesting a leather shank in a pair of Wesco's would give you, but it's an option if you want it.
You definitely wouldn’t want a steel shank if your using them for wildland firefighting. I’ve heard stories of guys having to stand in buckets of water to try and cool the steel shanks down.

Jimk4003

Reaction score
You definitely wouldn’t want a steel shank if your using them for wildland firefighting. I’ve heard stories of guys having to stand in buckets of water to try and cool the steel shanks down.
That might have been true once upon a time, but modern NFPA standards dictate that the insole surface of a boot must not exceed 111 degrees F.

That's an independent standard that any company selling NFPA boots has to meet, so as long as you buy Wesco's NFPA certified boots it shouldn't be an issue.

wordfool

Reaction score
Changing the subject from chonk briefly... I was playing around with a custom BH and SJ on the Baker's site and noticed that if I build a SJ with exactly the same options as a BH (including the same last), the SJ works out $35 cheaper because the single celastic toe has no upcharge. Am I missing some other difference or is a BH indeed more expensive if you want a structured toe? I'll drop Baker's an email and see what they say.

redbaron1980

Reaction score
Just got an email that my order shipped. Ordered on Jan 4, so it seems the 8-12 week lead time is still the standard. Really stoked to get this order, because one of the boots is in the W&C latigo. The other is an MP with medallion cap in black dress, because I decided I needed a nice looking black boot

Mathazzz

Reaction score
Just got an email that my order shipped. Ordered on Jan 4, so it seems the 8-12 week lead time is still the standard. Really stoked to get this order, because one of the boots is in the W&C latigo. The other is an MP with medallion cap in black dress, because I decided I needed a nice looking black boot
You guys are lucky! I ordered on November 18th and I’m still waiting. I’m guessing my choice of a Dr. Sole raw cord half sole and heel has delayed things, but the rest of the build was pretty similar to others. I called Baker’s twice, and it should be any day now! Like a few others I’ve seen on here, my first pair of “quality” boots were Thursday Captains, then I quickly realized that I needed something more heavy duty.

montanamike

Reaction score
You guys are lucky! I ordered on November 18th and I’m still waiting. I’m guessing my choice of a Dr. Sole raw cord half sole and heel has delayed things, but the rest of the build was pretty similar to others. I called Baker’s twice, and it should be any day now! Like a few others I’ve seen on here, my first pair of “quality” boots were Thursday Captains, then I quickly realized that I needed something more heavy duty.
Looking forward to pictures.. thinking of that sole setup on my next semi dress

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads