• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bronco68

Reaction score
You, Sir, need to go back to practice Engineering : ).
Those areas feel a bit snug but not uncomfortable in the limited time that I get to wear them. Since these are try-on boots I am only wearing inside or on the patio (I asked Baker and they said it would be okay to wear the try-on boots on the patio).

I don’t know how big your residence is, but if I had a try on pair to determine if they were the right fit, then I would make laps around my residence...probably to the tune of 1-2 miles daily and I’m not kidding.

Bronco68

Reaction score
The "wave" of colouring will develop over time. I see what you mean (notice the colour of the black sole in the baker's pic) and I also share a disappointment that all of White's brown is dark brown or very dark brown. It also must be said that there are plenty of HH pictures in this forum, I think a lot of new posters should learn the search function of this forum (which is really useful). I spent a lot of time of my phone pouring over photos via keywords and taking screenshots

Over the last week, I am getting acquainted with the search function...they say practice makes perfect...I’m not even approaching poor yet.

wordfool

Reaction score
Got my stimulus today so I decided to stimulate the economy a bit and buy some boots. This might be it for me for a very long while.

I decided to give the 5050 last a try with some MPs. I kinda have a love/hate relationship with the pair of MPs I already have, loving the way they look, but kinda hating that I got them in CXL and getting them in a width that was possibly too narrow.

I took advantage of the W&C special at Bakers and got a pair in the Latigo leather they're offering. I absolutely love the color of that leather on every picture I've seen it in. I got a basic build, brass eyes and hooks, 4 row stiched toe cap and a commando sole.

I also decided I needed a dressier boot, and didn't want to wait until the Stevens was offered in more leather options, so I got a pair of MPs in black dress, black eyelets, medallion toe cap and dainite sole. Should look swanky.

Now to wait half a year to get them :)

The brown or natural Latigo? The brown looks like an awesome leather and if the 5050 last was offered in C width I'd be all over them, too. The MP last is not to my heel's liking, however, and the 55 last loses that slightly more svelte MP toe.

Bronco68

Reaction score
The brown or natural Latigo? The brown looks like an awesome leather and if the 5050 last was offered in C width I'd be all over them, too. The MP last is not to my heel's liking, however, and the 55 last loses that slightly more svelte MP toe.

I’m in agreement with you on the Brown. Does anyone know how it compares to the characteristics (discussed here extensively) of the brown dress? Like heat on the feet, durability, taking a shine and patina over time.

redbaron1980

Reaction score
That Latigo leather looks really creamy rich, I am sure you would love it. I love the natural veg tan but I will probably never buy one, I am too clumsy for such a 'delicate' color leather.
Edit: What kind of soles did you order on the 'Latigo' boots?

I got the commando half sole on the Latigo boots. That leather looks like it'll age like a dream.

I went with the brown. I really love the red tones to it. Don't really know anything about how it'll stand up to wear and tear, hopefully better than CXL does, but I couldn't pass it up

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We all are drooling over that Brown latigo ????
I guess we will have to wait, it was recently introduced by Baker? may be other boot makers have been using Latigo leather.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got the commando half sole on the Latigo boots. That leather looks like it'll age like a dream.

I went with the brown. I really love the red tones to it. Don't really know anything about how it'll stand up to wear and tear, hopefully better than CXL does, but I couldn't pass it up
You owe us to share pics when you get these beauties : ).
I am sure it's going to be my third White's pair.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's amazing how pictures inspire our decisions. I remember seeing White's limited series in British tan and I loved the patina but thought they were marketing pictures until I saw @ThreeLions pictures of British tan (post # 18,699) and.... I had to order one pair of boots in British Tan!

Bronco68

Reaction score
I wear these 4 times a week. They're so comfortable. Bounty Hunters in brown dress.

View attachment 1450908

The brown dress is what has been recommended to me for my first build. Thanks for sharing this image as it helps me envision the type of patina possible.

I am narrowing down my build options and had the following questions regarding these boots.

How long have you had them? Do these have a celastic toe? What type of soles do they have? Thank you.

Bronco68

Reaction score
Hello everyone
Thought I’d share my second pair of Whites boots.
Ordered through bakers at the end of August and just arrived
They did a custom leg measurement To fit my small ankles.
Someone was just asking about sizing between these and the MP I don’t think they’re similar at all. The MP has much less instep volume, is longer, and has a bigger heel like someone else just said.
Also interesting note, WESCO appears to measure height from the floor while whites measured it from the top of the heel. I have pairs of 7 inch boots from both and the whites is exactly 1 inch taller.
Overall fit and finish is very good but not perfect. There’s a few areas of wonky stitching on the welt and upper but can only be seen if you’re looking for it so it doesn’t bother me. Certainly doesn’t compare to my Wesco boots which are perfect.
I do find the Whites more comfortable though.
Still need to work on the lace color, not sure I like these.

Last: Semi Dress (Bounty Hunter)
  • Counter Leather: Brown Dress
  • Toe Vamp Leather: Brown Dress
  • Upper (Shaft) Leather: Brown Dress
  • Leather Liner: No Thanks
  • Lace Design: Plain Toe
  • Pull Loops: No Thanks
  • Celastic Toe Box: Single Celastic Toe
  • Toe Cap: Medallion Dress Toe Cap
  • Toe Cap Leather Color: Brown Dress
  • Steel Toe: No Thanks
  • Hardware: All Brass Eyes
  • Top: Cut Top (standard)
  • Midsole: Single
  • Edge: Brown
  • Heel Base: 90 Degree Blocked off Heel (Traveler)
  • Heel Lifts: Standard
  • Sole: Vibram 269
  • Sole Trim: Close Trim (Single Row Stitch)
  • Height: 7"
  • Size - Length: 10
  • Size - Width: E
  • Logos / Embossing: Yes - I want standard logos and embossing!

These look great! I am looking at a similar build for my first pair of White’s most likely in a Semi Dress. Is it possible to actually wear boots like these and still maintain this level of “shine” and color/shad/patina? I do not prefer the “high gloss” shine on my shoes, I prefer a more muted look like these out of the box.

Jimk4003

Reaction score
What is the current consensus on proper procedure for squeak abatement?
Depends on what's causing it.

If they're just new, it might just be the uppers rubbing, and it'll go away. If it's coming from under your foot, it might be caused by the glue bond between the insole and the midsole breaking down, or a loose shank. There's an old post by White's on this thread explaining that this is by far their most common warranty issue, so if it's coming from the midsole (often you can feel a slight vibration under your foot as the air squeezes out), you might want to get in touch with White's.

When my pair started squeaking, White's advised I tried heavily oiling the welt area. This is every bit as hit-and-miss as it sounds, and in my case didn't help. In the end, the boots had to go back.

Speak to White's, and see what they suggest.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Bronco68 That brown dress leather does look yummy! I wonder how heavy/light are the dress leathers? 3-4oz?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads