• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

wordfool

Reaction score
@Bronco68 That brown dress leather does look yummy! I wonder how heavy/light are the dress leathers? 3-4oz?

Dress leathers are 5.5-6.0oz IIRC. Definitely feel slightly thinner than oil tan, but also feel very dense and have proven to be pretty tough with (generally) a nice grain. The brown has a teacore, while the black is dyed through

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dress leathers are 5.5-6.0oz IIRC. Definitely feel slightly thinner than oil tan, but also feel very dense and have proven to be pretty tough with (generally) a nice grain. The brown has a teacore, while the black is dyed through
That's a pretty hefty leather then and the patina the brown dress develops (as some pictures here show)!!!

klank74

Reaction score
@Bronco68 That brown dress leather does look yummy! I wonder how heavy/light are the dress leathers? 3-4oz?
I don’t know exact measurements, but in terms of thickest to thinnest, I believe it’s the oil tan “ work” leathers, followed by elk tan, and then the dress leathers. I love my brown dress. It’s still heavier than the leather on my redwing work boots, but it breaks in pretty quick.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don’t know exact measurements, but in terms of thickest to thinnest, I believe it’s the oil tan “ work” leathers, followed by elk tan, and then the dress leathers. I love my brown dress. It’s still heavier than the leather on my redwing work boots, but it breaks in pretty quick.
based on @wordfool's post, brown dress is close to CXL in weight. I wonder if it's possible to have a light color dress leather?

Woodtroll

Reaction score

Link to dress leather weight, from Sambam himself:

wordfool

Reaction score
based on @wordfool's post, brown dress is close to CXL in weight. I wonder if it's possible to have a light color dress leather?

Not sure there's ever been anything other than just the dark brown and black dress leathers (same for Elk Tan). CXL is where all the fun colors seem to happen, and AFAIK White's uses CXL that's about 6.5oz

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

adrs1157

Reaction score
The brown dress is what has been recommended to me for my first build. Thanks for sharing this image as it helps me envision the type of patina possible.

I am narrowing down my build options and had the following questions regarding these boots.

How long have you had them? Do these have a celastic toe? What type of soles do they have? Thank you.
Oh man they were super dirty back then. I wore them all summer. They have a slight patina but they are still pretty new, maybe 1 year old or 1.5? Too new to showcase any good patina unfortunately. Brown dress will fade and burnish with time and wear into a completely different look.

These have a single celastic toe on the 55 last. Vibram 700 outsole.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh man they were super dirty back then. I wore them all summer. They have a slight patina but they are still pretty new, maybe 1 year old or 1.5? Too new to showcase any good patina unfortunately. Brown dress will fade and burnish with time and wear into a completely different look.

Share some pics!!

Woodtroll

Reaction score
Are the dress leathers an oil tan? I am curious.

No, the dress leathers are a dry tan. From the link I posted above, Sambam (who is a White’s representative that pops in here occasionally) says,

“Dry tan, elk tan and dress are the same leathers. Different tanneries call them different names. Just a matter of leather weight. Dry and elk 6.5 to 7 and dress 5.5 to 6 ounces.”

The one pair of dress brown leather boots I own show a lighter tone below the dark brown surface in strong light, which looks interesting, but because it is not the same color all the way through like oil tan is, it shows scuffs in “contrast”.

Like others here have said before, dress brown is a good versatile leather for boots you’re not going to be real rough on, unless you prefer the “beat to hell and don’t care” look that you see promoted sometimes. To each his own, but that look says “abuse and neglect” to me. ;)

Bronco68

Reaction score

Thank you. I have been searching pics of “mature” brown dress with normal / natural aged patina, not high gloss patina...without success.

Mr.Weatherall

Reaction score
Thanks Woodtroll. I dont think I could go for the abused look since getting into White's boots, there is something satisfying about keeping your boots cleaned after use and in good condition. Keeps me excited to wear them.

Like all of us on here I am dreaming of my next pair of White's. I want to get a dressier pair, and I am considering the MP Shermans. Anyone have thoughts about how that boot would look in black RO and nickle hardware? I like other dressier leathers but I just cant keep from slicing them up since I live on a working ranch in a rural setting.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics